Samsung GALAXY Nexus to have PenTile panel
0. phoneArena 21 Oct 2011, 08:44 posted on
Unlike the display on a Super AMOLED Plus screen where each pixel has its own red, green and blue pixel, the Samsung GALAXY Nexus will use the same exact RGBG PenTile display that has been on every Nexus handset to date...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mclifford81 (Posts: 75; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
Yes it is a deal breaker, granted ICS will be nice to have but the display on the SGSII I think is nicer and also the display on the new Moto Razr granted its a lower resolution will probably be more crisp as long as its not another pen tile. If it is then blah I'll stick with the SGSII.. The camera however seems interesting on the Nexus so I am going to have to wait and see..
6. terabyteRouser (Posts: 457; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
The RAZR is not PenTile, it's full RGB.
11. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Where are you getting that information from? As far as I know, qHD isn't possible yet on a 4.3" Super AMOLED+ panel.
15. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
the razr doesnt use super amo+ it use a reglar super amo qHD screen
17. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
The presentation called it "Super AMOLED Advanced". I think "Advanced" just means qHD, whereas Super AMOLED is WVGA.
28. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
as far as i know samsung has not liscenced out the RGB screen that it uses on the galaxy2. it tends to save the best for in house stuff.
As far as pentile goes, its not that big of a deal. My pentile display on my vibrant is much lower PPI than that and i barely ever notice.
On a screen that size, your not going to have much need of sticking your nose on the screen to see things.. at which point you would notice the pentile. At normal ranges u cant tell the difference.
71. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
eh i have to disagree... after coming from an iphone 4 to a pentile screen i was very dissapointed... and yes, when i was reading things on the browser and especially looking at at anything with a straight line, it was quite noticeable...
personally, i would not buy the nexus or any verizon phone at the moment because someone will have a better one in a little while, and the nexus just doesnt have the android specs to do it...
46. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Samsung have only been giving away there super amoled and no amoled+ which they only keep for themselves...razr screen is pentile but no one has yet complained...with smiled pentile is not as bad as on regular LCD pentile displays.
49. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Aww pentile made you smile! See, it's not so bad.
68. cheetah2k (limited) (Posts: 1586; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
It just means we're better off waiting for the SGS III
2. mozes316 (Posts: 142; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
Good thing I don't look at my phones from the side...
7. terabyteRouser (Posts: 457; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Above, one of the best rap albums ever made.
57. tedkord (Posts: 11985; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That's sorta like being one of the best Yugos ever rolled off the assembly line...
72. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
It's just PA blowing things out of proportions again. If this site didn't have cellphone news, I would've stopped coming a long time ago.
3. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
Crapsung suxx. Would've been better if it's HTC made.
13. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
LOL you're funny. It's not Samsung's fault. Nexus phones have always used Pentile. Don't forget the first Nexus was a pentile with HTC.
24. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
And HTC buys their S-LCD panels from Sony. Like Apple, HTC doesn't make their own parts, they just assemble them into an attractive package with nice software.
26. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Yeah I was just stating that the first Nexus had a pentile display and HTC was the brand.
27. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Should have been a reply to arcq12's post. Just saying we should give credit where credit's due. HTC doesn't make their displays, and I think they would have kept using Samsung's screens if they hadn't been burned by the AMOLED shortage during the Incredible launch.
44. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
I know HTC dont make their own parts such as the displays but can't they get a license of some sort from samsung to use super amoled just like what moto did for the RAZR?
HTC could've made the nexus better than what it is right now..
51. roldefol (Posts: 4312; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Moto isn't licensing Samsung's SAMOLED tech, they're buying screens from Samsung's display arm. Not a bad move if you ask me. I don't think HTC will use Samsung displays since they got screwed by display shortages on the Incredible. Besides, the S-LCD displays they've been getting from Sony are better in some areas than SAMOLED.
70. choybrwn22 (Posts: 10; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
s-lcd is a joint venture between samsung and sony case u didnt kno
42. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
so what you're saying is if the nexus has been using pentile it will not be subjective for a change?
25. HTCiscool (Posts: 449; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
This thing is completely overrated, the camera is only 5MP, the CPU is one of the weakest dual-cores and the display isn't super-high-res, couple that with the $399 on-contract then The only good thing about this is ICS.
29. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
megapixel means absolutely nothing.
OMAP is the 2nd strongest dual core to only the Exynos
what other phone has a higher rez than 720p? oh.. none does.
no one has announced pricing yet, and no phone has ever been 400 in the US on contract.
34. Firedrops (Posts: 249; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
He has a bit of a point there about the CPU.
It's rather shocking to find out that Samsung did not go with the 1.5GHz dual-core which it has used on some of the SGSII variants with certain carriers.
If they did, they would've beaten out Moto's Razr hands down.