Samsung Exynos 5 Dual aims to be the first Cortex A15-based processor, shoots for higher heights in mobile graphics, memory performance
0. phoneArena 10 Aug 2012, 04:03 posted on
We’ve already heard about the Samsung Exynos 5 series of chips, but now Samsung has posted a whitepaper for the Samsung Exynos 5250…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hateftotti (Posts: 200; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Bye Bye ipad ...
Hope to see it on Note 2 and next Samsung tablet ;)
18. dickwyn (Posts: 621; Member since: 07 May 2012)
still waiting for Apple's A6 Cortex A15 processor, no matter it is still fabricated by samsung
23. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
No doubt this will be a bad to the bone setup but as expected we get better as time goes on and dont think for a second that apple wont be getting the best of the best chip designs.
29. Nokia-Arte (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
It more than enough power needed, cause once you root this you can overclock this to 2.5, which in same as a Intel 3....
58. The_Innovation (Posts: 610; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Bye bye Ms. American pie...
Sorry, couldn't help it.
62. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
samsung still make the processor of iPad...like sammy said.. they cant let go on apple because they are the biggest costumer on samsung...
you can say good bye to iPad.. but you are not the target maket of the iPad... not these obssess android people!
2. Eraser112 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 May 2012)
This isn´t the first A15-based CPU, think about the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Series.
5. Srinivas (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Feb 2011)
Snapdragon S4 uses A9 cortex only but it is based on a 28nm technology which is more efficient than 32 nm technology of exynos 4412 . There is not comparison between a cortex A9 and cortex A15 .
11. MeoCao (unregistered)
S4 uses Krait architecture similar to A15 but not A15.
22. asifisbest (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
Yes, just referred Wiki and AnandTech. S4 uses a Krait core which is a modified version of A9 but its performance is comparable to A15. But architecturally, A15 is a bit better than Krait. I think Exynos will be the best A15 based SoC.
26. MeoCao (unregistered)
This is understandable. A15 came out nearly a year after Krait but still can't have a substantive improvement and that means Qualcomm has done a terrific job.
56. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 385; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Krait architecture is a carbon copy of ARM Cortex-A15.copycat.........lol...................
27. AeroPrime (Posts: 175; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
Qualcomm chips are outstanding ... no offense to samsung but it really does....in terms of thermal and performance, it feels a lot more efficient .... This is why windows phone is so smooth.... MS really knows how to choose a manufacturer.
41. ph00ny (Posts: 1246; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I will take 32nm HKMG over 28nm polysi any day of the week. Who cares about half nodes. Even Intel skipped it all together
45. doublehammer (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
technically the 32nm HKMG is more efficient than kraits 28nm process, which is why exynos achieves more power and battery savings than krait. Its not all about its size (which is important), its also about HOW its made.
Qualcomm likes to "go their own way" with their chips. Good for them.. unfortunately none of their designs have yet to be top in class... or even close to top in class. So unless they can get better than ARM at chip design, then need to just knock it off and modify ARM designs like everyone else does.
13. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
The S4 core is Krait, which is similar in performance to A15, but the architecture is somewhat different
33. doublehammer (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
S4 Krait is "A15 like" according to qualcom, however it performs NOTHING like an A15. It doesnt even perform like the A9 exynos 4212/4412. If it performed like an A15 at all, it would be at the top of the performance pile, not fighting for last place.
The Krait Pro has a chance of being better than the current crop of super powered A9's, but its easily outclassed by this TRUE A15, and I'd bet money that it will be outclassed by every true A15 that follows.
61. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
what is this dude talkin about.......last place??
20. smartphonemad (Posts: 42; Member since: 10 Jul 2012)
Struggling to see why you got a thumb down for that comment :L
4. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Rather "Hi 4. Generation iPad with Cortex A15." Why Should Apple not go with the time? Then, a 15-hour battery life would be possible.
50. Nokia-Arte (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Whenever you post, you always get thumbed down.....!
6. asifisbest (Posts: 5; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
It is not the first SoC based on ARM Cortex A15 architecture. Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 is the first one using ARM Cortex A15 CPU cores.