Samsung Epic 4G finally getting its taste of Gingerbread
0. phoneArena 09 Nov 2011, 08:21 posted on
The Samsung Epic 4G, a popular variation of the original Samsung Galaxy S, is finally getting its serving of Android Gingerbread as Sprint has posted the update on the smartphone’s software update site…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
you f*cking serious samsung? after more than a year? and when ICS is on the horizon?
4. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
damn right... i wish they just jump into ICS...
7. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
dont yell at samsung, yell at the carriers. every non US galaxy1 variant got 2.3 about 8 months ago or so. ONLY the US variants havent gotten it. Why? because only in the US do carriers exert so much control over devices on their networks.
Be lucky, none of the other US variants (vibrant, captivate, fascinate) have 2.3 yet.
2. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
wow... talk about late.... samgsung please be quicker when update os for your phones....XD
3. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4813; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
It's not Samsung, it's the U.S. carriers. Gingerbread was out for the Samsung Galaxy S for almost half a year in Europe & in rest of the world!
5. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
but we do know that the Galaxy S in europe and in the rest of the world is different from US verisons..
6. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4813; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
It's the same thing only just running CDMA radios, WiMAX 4G & a physical keyboad. Other than that the phone is identical to the European version, spec for spec. The proof is in the pudding, the U.S. carriers want all their BS bloatware on it & that drags slower than turtle running a marathon! Thus the ugly delay in getting Gingerbread.
8. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
hardware wise, there is no difference between the Vibrant and the international SGS except the loss of that big middle button and camera flash. It has had unnofficial gingerbread for ever.
Samsung seeds samsungfirmwares.com which then seeds XDA. Samsung has been getting around carrier restrictions for a while now. You just have to be willing to take 30 seconds( its really easy on an SGS) to root your phone and get it.
9. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4813; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes I didn't want to get into the whole root scene, but you are 100% correct. If you add the root scene then the U.S. Samsung Galaxy S phones have had Gingerbread since the code was released to the public. Well almost anyways. :-)
10. threeline (Posts: 267; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Is this a OTA update or do we have to go download it? If so, thas't incredibliy lame. I jsu checked and there was no OTA available. Oh well, it's time to upgrade anyway and it won't be a Samsung unless its the Galaxy Nexus.
11. refrigerate_me (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
us carriers= capitalist pigs.. shame shame....
12. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
wow, took forever. I was worried Sprint would have never updated before end of life kicked in. Because once EOL kicks in, kiss updates goodbye unless its some very critical update the fixes a significant flaw to avoid some kind of lawsuit, because they have no interest in updating devicse after EOL.
13. ibap (Posts: 752; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
In Europe you buy your GSM phone, then get a SIM from a carrier and off you go.
In the US, even the GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) 'brand' their phones and lock them down, so you are at their mercy.
And the government lets them.
14. threeline (Posts: 267; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
Has anyone gotten the update? If so, any improvements? Its weird that my Epic has started locking up and require restarts recently. Must know its time for the upgrade! Do you think the E4GT is gonna get the same run around when it comes ICS?
15. Firedrops (Posts: 249; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
With CM running around, this probably won't matter to anyone who knows sticks about phones.
And I wish that kind of beautiful keyboard will appear in more high-end phones.
16. nmerry77 (Posts: 39; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
Still no update yet.....has any1 received it??? I haven't found any postings anywhere that people have received it!! Hope 2 c it soon!!!