Samsung Ativ S: the key features
0. phoneArena 29 Aug 2012, 16:34 posted on
Although we thought that Nokia would unveil Windows Phone 8 smartphones before anyone else, Samsung beat the Finns to it by making the Ativ S official today. And just a quick glance at its specs sheet is enough for us to conclude that we are dealing with a top-tier handset. Its impressive hardware specification is matched by the device's exquisite design and the use of premium materials in its construction, which is why we are eagerly waiting to get our hands on one for a spin around the block...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
18. MeoCao (unregistered)
This is very easy for SS, take GS3, make a few tweaks and voila.
The key now is the price.
37. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
I think this phone is better than the s3
2. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Sleek and sexy. I wouldn't mind giving it a try at all.
29. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Samsung Ativ S..its sexy and stylish...put the look of the S3 to shame... S3 is a beast... looks like a beast and feels like a beast and its just a beast....
Ativ S is a Sexy Beast while S3 is just beast....
but i still think they should change the WP8 family line...
android being "Galaxy" but Windows Phone being "Ativ" it should be like "Asteroid" or "Odyssey"... so i think sammy will remove ommina and focus line so that it will be just a unified family.. i wonder what will be the family line of tizen...if samsung is still working with that OS...
40. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
A sexy beast that hides an ugly OS underneath. Fail.
41. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I would love to give you plenty of thumbs down had i been given that option! :D
44. matrix_neo (Posts: 329; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Me too. Windows phone 8 is good, better than ios.
Now it support multicore, hd display, and best of all expandable memory. Android and WP8 will rule the market shares.
48. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Wow!!!! Those features are really new!!! Like those features have been on Android since.. I dunno, since the beginning of time.
49. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
You never know...WP might take the world by storm. 3-4 years back, most people didn't even know Android existed...including me. The world circled around Symbian, iOS, BB...and some other minor proprietary OS's....Samsung looked crappy without Bada and Android...LG and MOTO was the same. Android developed slow; no one ever heard about Android 1..or 1.2.3 or whatever. It came to limelight after version 2...but updates were fast!
Now it maybe WP's turn to spin the wheel...
3. Ueliton (Posts: 34; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Now we´re talking... first menace to my HD7! Let´s see what HTC, Nokia, Huawei and possible others have to offer.
4. 7ceez (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Sep 2011)
Man... that's alot of dimp... we'll see what the Nok's comes up with...
38. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
They(Nokia) cannot leave anything to chance. They just have to come up with better products. If it turns out that Samsung is offering better WP8 devices than Nokia then i guess Nokia should just hang itself !
5. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
"...should make even Galaxy S III owners turn their heads wondering why Samsung didn't use the same premium materials when designing its Android flagship."
nowadays they only rarely make toys out of premium materials.... :D
11. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Toy that's better than any Lumia out there.. Oh well, haters gonna hate.. =]
45. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
If you mean current Lumias then yes; if the new ones you might as well have to take back your words next week.
51. SleepingOz (unregistered)
sweet dreams baby.. =]
53. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
ooo, just because wp does not require a power plant under the hood to work smoothly in every aspect, makes it weaker. wow. think about that again for a second... :)
56. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Same old argument.. *yawn*
The reason why Android needs more horsepower is because it has so much more to offer! But oh well, talking to a biased fanboy is like talking to wall.
57. GJanee (Posts: 214; Member since: 29 Jun 2011)
lol, look who's talking about being biased. :D
58. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Is it me or you called the GSIII a toy? If you're not a biased fanboy from Nokia/Windows camp, then can you please tell us how is it toy exactly? Right, that's what I thought.. Haters gonna hate anyway.
Next time, come with some valid arguments.
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Sexy! Honestly! ;) even when My heart belongs to the S3 I wish S3 looked like this
39. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
yup! it even has a windows home button that looks like it belongs there.
Unlike the S3
9. Veigald (Posts: 268; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Samsung just upped the ante for Nokia, that's for sure. No cheap plastic toy feel on this one, although it looks very iPhone-ish from the front. Hopefully shows commitment to WP8 from Samsung.
Nokia should still be able to make a far more interesting and good design, and if they bring out a phone with the same specs and PureView, it's game over for its WP competitors. Exciting week coming up!
12. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
pureview plus wp8 would be killer but i still think they will struggle in the US sadly..for some reason nokia just are not a force in the US...personally i would love a nokia android phone with pureview but i know that will not happen unless wp8 does not get significant market share within the nexx 1-2 years then i think nokia will have no choice but then give android a shot.
46. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't think Nokia is never ever going to go Android on it's phones...though i like the idea!!
50. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
am a huge nokia fan and before i had an iphone or an s2 and s3 all my phones were pretty much nokia symbian phones..so even though i dont use them at the moment i want them to succeed although lol deep in side i hope they fail with wp8 and are then forced to use android...i know everyone says android is too crowded etc but i believe outside of europe where nokia still have alot of fans can succeed with android as the jump from symbian too android is similar and not as drastic change from symbian to wp...i guess i can dream
59. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I like Symbian too, but they must do something for the applications to boom in their platform...
+ I think they should go above the normal 360X640 resolution, which is ok for a 3 incher...but beyond that, pixels come alive!
And yes, the hardware area should definitely be beefed up!!!! What is Nokia still doing with single core-d processors!!!
I agree Symbian can manage well with single core, but think what a double core can!! It will work wonders!!!
62. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
we could put the blame to nokia heads not on symbian... symbian is a very capable OS but nokia just so stupid to support the symbian foundation...the foundation collapse.its greatest engineers are now working on google and they are the one who "modernize" android!!
i truly believe symbian can do better!! its not restricted..it is even capable of doing what android can do... best multitasking aside from maemo/meego.. can run many apps and not a battery hog...
nokia should consider symbian again... i've seen some videos of the upcoming belle fp2 and its really neat...the only problem with symbian is its apps and its browser... aside from that..symbian is one awesome OS...
65. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Yes, on Nokia heads...
Hardware too...it should be considered.
And i agree that Symbian is the beat multitasking OS!
10. phonton (Posts: 65; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
good specs but only LTE radio is missing... as far as consumers are concerned most of them are okay with HSPA+.. i would personally like to see such beasts with LTE.. opinions do differ
13. scorpeyun (Posts: 24; Member since: 18 May 2012)
Sprint better step up to the plate on WP8 or I'm jumping ship to the LTE team who puts this in there lineup!! ... and I'm a 10 yr Sprint customer
14. khmer (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Samsung Galaxy Ativ is much better than Nokia which is looking to be in bankruptcy very soon because couldn't keep up with MS WP quick changing platform.
15. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Nice looking phone. One question though, where is MHL in all of this? Is WP still lacking in the ability to output video to a bigscreen with wires? Not all of us have super fast Fios connections.
16. So-Sayz-Eye (Posts: 30; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
I'm honestly a little dissapointed here. No LTE and no quad core. I know i've said in the past that quad core was pointless with as long as the OS runs smooth but if this is suppose to be Flagship by samsung they should have brought just a little bit more to the table. HTC is rumored to have a quad core WP8 phone coming why cant Samsung do the same. But I cant deny, it is sexy as hell and such a huge screen does make up for the previous 2 missing items, but not that much.
17. henrickrw (Posts: 408; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
I don't trust Crapdragon.. EXXYNOS all the way
47. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't like Exitnos either...Snapdragon all the way :P!!!
19. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Wonder if it will have S-voice or any other Samssung specifics apps.
21. tmcr7 (Posts: 179; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
A rectangle with rounded corners? I sense another round of litigation...
22. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
agreed, especially that single middle button makes it look just like the iPhone LOL. I bet anything that the next move would be apple making a new list of devices to ban and it will include this one because its a rectangle, it has icons and has a middle button on the bottom.
23. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
It really looks nice. I, for one, was not expecting this from Samsung, I thought they would keep the premium with Droid and make mid range WP phones.
I would but it quick as long as it has outlook sync and a file explorer (Yes, I am old school and yes, I am dreaming. Im a WinMo Fanboy, what can I say)
24. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Looks alot like the HTC HD7 just thinner.
25. doody (Posts: 14; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
since the Windows Phone 8 will have Micro SD Card capability, does that mean that Windows Phone 8 will have a file manager?
61. luxzy801 (Posts: 138; Member since: 16 Jun 2010)
I have been trying to get some info on that from Microsoft but they have not said anything, for the most part, they are keeping hush hush on the full list of features.
I think it might turn out like android, where it does not have a native file manager but the capability might exist which would mean that devs would be able to make fully functional file managers (and considering that it is based on NTFS, it should have an accessible file system).
I really hope that is the case.
27. apocalypsebc (Posts: 148; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Way to go Samsung. Lets hope everyone make good Windows Phones like this or better!
28. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 419; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
my last three phones: Galaxy SII, Galaxy SIII, One X. My next phone: Ativ S. This thing looks how the Galaxy SIII should have looked and it is made from materials the Galaxy SIII should have been made from. I love that they have a physical home button AND a dedicated camera button. I am real keen to try WP8, cant wait!
31. md227a (Posts: 137; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I really like this phone, hope it comes to AT&T if not I don't mind ordering an unlocked version
32. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
That phone will look like a toy after Nokia World
33. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i know.. but this phone really looks good... just one thing in mind... what happen to ommina and focus line? and what the heck is ative... it should be "Odyssey" or "asteroid"... Odyssey S or Asteroid S... like galaxy... galaxy is catchy!
35. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I found the Ativ S to be more of a attraction than the Note 2, anyone with me?
36. J1919 (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I think they're both pretty actually. They're refined version of the S3. It's like Samsung saw the negative feedback on the S3 design and tried to rectify it withthese 2 + the new colors for the S3, lol.
42. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3193; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't like the upper back, it looks like a cheap version....however, the lower half is nice.
43. jeff1434325 (Posts: 96; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Now look at that!.. ain't that a very very very sexy yet powerful phone. I just cant wait to have this baby.
52. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1355; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
The thing I like most about this smart phone is it's screen size. Because smart phones can do video and turn by turn navigation in your car a person needs a large screen to
see all this stuff without some eye strain
54. Googlethis (Posts: 179; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
excited for the phone hopefully it isn't reserved for the gsm carriers only
55. downphoenix (Posts: 2816; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
the visual design of wp7 and 8 is abhorrent, it looks more at home on road signs or coloring books than a phone or computer operating system.
60. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
it looks gr8 in mobile..
For PC im not sure just yet