Samsung ATIV S goes on preorder for EUR 550 ($711) SIM-free, priced between HTC 8X and Lumia 920
0. phoneArena 28 Sep 2012, 04:50 posted on
This puts it in between the HTC Windows Phone 8X, which went for EUR 499 on preorder, and the Nokia Lumia 920 flagship, which ranges from EUR 599 in Italy, to EUR 649 in Germany...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Samsung = No way.
-All fake brushed plastic that look like aluminium
-Limited apps from Samsung
-Limited support from Samsung
-No NFC/Wireless charging
-No PureMotion HD
-Phone look exactly like its Android counterpart, wheres the uniqueness?
3. hung2900 (Posts: 881; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
OK, so where is my romovable battery and micro-SD card slot?
5. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
I dont think there's a need for removable battery since I've been using Lumia 900 with an average life time of 1 day with moderate use. 3 push notification, 5 live tiles, Facebook/MSN chat on.
As for Micro-SD slot, is it even necessary that Lumia 920 have 32GB of storage? I only use 8GB on my L900
14. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I gotta agree with elop here, removable battery is overrated. A portable charger will do. MicroSD? 32 GB storage isn't enough? What are you going to do with this phone? fill with porn?
18. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
A LOT of people have huge music libraries. Just like me.
25. SleepingOz (unregistered)
My Music Library is about 87GB.
MicroSD is a MUST for me.
Nokia fanboys should stop being in denial of these lackings.
32. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Samsung fanboys should accept that just for once, their phone isn't the very best in it's respective OS. Samsung hands down makes the best Androids but leave the Windows Phones to a company who's not using the OS as an afterthought.
42. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I'm, not talking about Samsung being the best but that storage does matter.
33. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
You must have stored a tons of porn.. but do you watch every porn everyday? LOL
35. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Why don't people just stream? Downloading is too risky. Seriously though, do people just fap everywhere they go?
37. SleepingOz (unregistered)
As an audiophile, I like to carry all my music with me.
Just don't take your own case for a generality buddy.
Limited storage is a con dude, deal with it fanboy.. =)
38. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
So the same goes for you, not everybody has a music library of 87GB. In my case, I only carry the music I like the most, that's it.
43. SleepingOz (unregistered)
It's not just about me, it's about choice!
The more the better.
You only carry the music you like the most because you have a LIMITED storage. You said it all!LOLOLOL
44. SleepingOz (unregistered)
No wifi in my car and I'm not willing to waste my data plan on synching music(which is kinda stupid as I can have all my music on a microSD).
Like it or not, limited storage is a con, deal with it fanboys! =]
39. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Me thinks there's Nokia Music for that. Free for a year.
30. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
and how many of those song do you listen to? See, there's an abuse in using so much storage. If you'll fill a 32GB storage with songs, I bet you need 2 lifetimes to finish all of them.
53. sup3rb0wlz (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
He probably has high bit rate music files like any true music listener does. i dont...yet. i am still building my collection but it is not unreasonable to have 87GB mines 12GB and most of mine are crappy quality(because its easier for me ATM cuz my internet sucks) stop argueing about something you dont get. Limited storage is a con
29. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Yeah I have an Arrive and I'm no where close to filling it.
21. Gcombs (Posts: 133; Member since: 22 Aug 2011)
It does have a removable battery and Micro SD card slot.
4. The_Godfather (Posts: 185; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
You got to be kidding me right??? Do you even know what are you talking about and about which company?
Samsung = No way? Well, then definitely you should stand front of an Apple store and wait for Steve Jobs to give you something innovative.
1. All fake brushed plastic that look like aluminium = You should be blind then
2. Limited apps from Samsung = Hahahahaha, Microsoft is going to give you apps.
3. Limited support from Samsung = Then probably you owned a Samsung device 10 - 15 years before.
4. No NFC/Wireless charging = Won't make any difference to a phone how you charge your cell phone lolzz. It is always optional
5. No OIS/PureView = Agree with you but Ativ's camera is not bad either
6. No PureMotion HD = You should give it a go and then talk about this I'd say
7. Phone look exactly like its Android counterpart, wheres the uniqueness? = You must be blind then again....!!!!!
6. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Dude your excuses sucks, try harder next time.
11. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 365; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
I can see Nokia sheep blindly trolling and thumbing down. Ativ S is really a good phone apart from Nokia's purview camera.valuable pricing.
12. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I agree that Lumia is the best windows phone smartphone. But for different reasons, some of your arguments can be easily countered.
1. Lumia is plastic too so why not add a metallic finish while you are at it?
3. Not true, Samsung is updating a ton of devices to Jelly Beans that it didn't even update to ICS, and Galaxy S III is also the first officially NonNexus Jelly Bean update.
4. Wireless charging is kind of a gimmick anyways.
5. Agreed. That stuff is amazing
6. AMOLEDS have a much better refresh rate than LCD even with Pure Motion HD. AMOLEDS have less than a second of refreshing.
19. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
By the way, ATIV S also has NFC... so that invalidates your number 4.
26. SleepingOz (unregistered)
StephenElop got PWNED in the ass!
2. hateftotti (Posts: 171; Member since: 03 May 2011)
If you do not notice about the camera of lumia 920,Ativ S is really better than that;)
8. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
You must be blind, the fact that 90% of people choose Nokia over Samsung/HTC in various polls at Windows Phone site.
22. RobotMan (Posts: 140; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Not me. I will never buy nokia again. Bad quality.
7. cyborg009 (Posts: 96; Member since: 17 Sep 2011)
I'll wait and see what HTC's zenith brings to the WP8 game.
9. wendygarett (unregistered)
It will be a long wait :)
13. psysect (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Again chip plastiiiiiic!! I never go 4 samsung ..PureMotion HD is very important..its design similar to android device and Without Innovation.
HTC 8x is mooooooooooor beautifull & better quality..
Htc Built the best wp & samsung even cant near to it..return to win phone history.
remember HD2 masterwork of HTC and revive win phone.
17. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
If PureMotion HD is very important to you then you better get an ATIV S because its refresh rate is less than a second which is way way better. I agree about its design but its plastic build is fine, I prefer this to an easily scuffable aluminum body on the iPhone 5.
36. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Agree.. Samsung is one cheap ass company
15. valapsp (Posts: 495; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
I'll definitely go for Nokia Lumia 920 but not with the current price tag of $900 on eBay.
16. darkvadervip (Posts: 363; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
I feel all wp8phones from the three companies are great. Just pick the one you like and stop bashing the other ones. Its something about every phone made from windows to Android to ios that people like or dislike.
20. phoneghoul (Posts: 12; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
ATIV S is the best WP8 hand set on the market. Reasons;
1. Professional looking design. (good for office and corporate use). Fancy colors on the Lumia 920 is good for play kids.
2. Slim Profile. (just 8.7mm). (Lumia 920 = 10.7mm)
3. Large screen. (4.8 inches) Better web browsing and media experience.
4. Removable battery. (Even the most tech savvy experts in the industry agree with the benefits of a removable battery).
5. Large battery. (2300mAh) ( Lumia 920 - 2000mAh).
6. Super AMOLED consumes less power than IPS TFT.
7. Expandable memory. (up to 32Gb).
8. NFC will become an industry standard only when APPLE makes a move.
9. Great brand. (Samsung's future is certain and Nokia's future is extremely uncertain.
28. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Sounds great, you should get it.
Still going for the Lumia 920... ^_*
24. KLikePhones (Posts: 5; Member since: 24 Aug 2012)
I really want the Ativ S for the professional slim and chic design, and the size of the screen. I just wish samsung phones didn't have that bluish tinge to their screens. I see that with a lot of Samsung phones people own, when I'm on the train or out and about. The green or blue glow over the display really makes the phone seem cheap to me, to be honest.
If I could get Nokia's screen on the Samsung body, it would be a 100 percent choice for the Ativ S for me. I have a Samsung tv and I wouldn't go with anything else, because I know they make high quality displays. I don't know why the phones are different. Maybe someone can explain.
But the real test will come when I can get hands-on time with both these phones when they come to the stores.
27. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I assume they all have the pricing and just playing the waiting game to let their competitors make the 1st announcement.
31. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Oh sure, almost nobody has anything negative to say about WP8 when we're on a thread about a Samsung phone. They should stick to making overrated Androids, that'll give the fanboys something else to do other than troll on Lumia and 8x threads.
46. SleepingOz (unregistered)
How is Android overrated? Can you please explain?
You sound more like biased nokia fanboy, envious of Android and Samsung's success. lololol
48. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Who's envious? My platform of choice is Android, I've never owned a Nokia, not even one of the bricks. I'm just tired of this little Samsung cult following polluting the internet. I've seen your posts, you undermine Apple users all the time on their own threads, are you jealous of Apple?
50. SleepingOz (unregistered)
undermine Apple users?
When I state something, unlike you, I come with valid arguments.
34. StephenEIop (banned) (Posts: 11; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Sigh.. this thread is full of Galaxy user I bet.
Just look at multiple polls/votes at WPCentral/Wmpoweruser.com and you'll see Samsung only make up 2~3% of the votes, HTC having 11% and Nokia having a staggering 87% for its Lumia 920.
Why in the world am I arguing with fanboys? -__-
45. SleepingOz (unregistered)
This thread is about the SAMSUNG Ativ. If you don't like Samsung, why are you here in the first place? Oh I forgot, you're a troll! Once got banned and back again to troll harder.
"Why in the world am I arguing with fanboys?"
See the irony? You're not even able to argue with valid arguments. You got pwned each and every time you try to troll. (example above)
WPCentral and every other WP sites are full of Nokia fanboys, as most of WP fans are the remaining Nokia fanboys who haven't switch to Android or iOS. Samsung and HTC users doesn't even care about WP and Nokia.
40. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
The Ativ S is an excellent phone, nobody can deny that. It's got some features that I wish the L920 had. But it's ok, I'm still getting the L920.
51. imradar (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I live in area, where I am not always in a coverage area, I also travel to remote areas, where there is also NO coverage. I prefer to travel with all my work related files, music, etc. I LIKE the idea of external storage, as ALL computers/phones/tablets etc can and will crash at some point, and I prefer my data with me, and up to date, AND secure on an external card, because if I need to do an emergency reflash/recovery/reset, I have all my bases covered. I am wondering still, does this phone also have OTG or usb host?
52. andrew1953 (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
To my way of thinking,the best windows 8 phone yet.Mini SD card for expandable memory,2300 removable battery. Also has FM radio and camera does the job which is all you need from a phone/camera. Want better buy a dedicated camera. Just hope the in car navigation is as good as the Nokia's or close. For me it's the ATIV S or a BB10.