SEL demos the most bendable mobile display that can wrap around phone sides (video)
0. phoneArena 01 Nov 2013, 10:07 posted on
Semiconductor Energy Laboratory (SEL), the guys that developed the groundbreaking IGZO screen tech together with Sharp, have done it again, this time one-upping Samsung with their new flexible OLED displays. Not only has the 5.4" panel high, 302ppi pixel density, but it can also bend to the record 4mm diameter, and is the only such panel that can actually display the picture on the bent edges, wrapping comfortably around the sides of future handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Galaxy Round comes to mind..mother of LOL phone. The sh*ty phone in curved mode >_
2. Brewski (Posts: 123; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Where are you supposed to hold a phone with touch screens wrapped around the bezel?
8. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
They could make it so that the edges of the screen have no touch accuracy. Like iPhones.
11. marbovo (Posts: 658; Member since: 16 May 2013)
It is just a prototype to show what this tech can do
3. pwnarena (Posts: 1047; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
we need foldable displays not curved or bendable ones. i want a smartphone that can be folded open into a tablet.
5. McLTE (Posts: 756; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Um.. last I checked, a foldable display IS a bendable one.
6. shahrooz (Posts: 485; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
also with an extremely low bending radius.
10. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Display with "Zero Bending Radius" is also a flexible screen if Apple were to define "flexible" ... like they defined touch as zero length swipe.
12. pwnarena (Posts: 1047; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
last i checked none of those displays reported can be folded. you know what i mean. don't be technical with the terms. you're like an apple patent troll trying to cover everything with sweeping definitions to lay claim on whatever possibility your "pioneer" work could possibly cover.
15. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2028; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
The future for curved displays, is looking good.. Unlike like the BS, samusng just announced....
16. random (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
Samsung showed prototype like this about a year ago, where you could see notifications on the side of the phone like here. For all who think that this is something that Samsung didnt think of already or even showed. Just search for flexible display and samsung if you want to see it.