S Voice free ride is over, Samsung blocks servers to devices other than Galaxy S III
0. phoneArena 21 May 2012, 06:51 posted on
Soon after Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S III and its unique S Voice feature to take on Siri, the APK was extracted and pretty much every Android owner who’d install it…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh well. it was fun while it lasted. :P
11. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4766; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I know, but I am really curious on how Majel will work. I believe it will be more kick a$s than Siri, & S Voice. Only if Google I/O would be here already, we would know by now.
Yeah I need some patience! lol
13. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
oh i actually didn't imagine at all that the I/O conference might eek out more info about Majel. next month should be interesting. o:
24. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
good reminder, i all but forgot about majel.. lol
29. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I haven :) and with the knew knowledge base i think we are more and more close
2. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Not like it was any good before, I got constant Network Errors before they blocked it due to the amount of people playing and experimenting around with it.
3. andro. (Posts: 1994; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
It wouldn't install on my galaxy s2 but either way im not disappointed,its a not a feature im dying to see in the galaxy s3 and I've used several similar apps over the past couple of years and they are not much more than a temporary novelty.
On day to day interaction with customers even with those who are 4s owners with siri its seems that this is the general thoughts of the vast majority of people.
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
nobody would buy sgs3 if sammy allow svoice......
5. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Ha, see. Like I said.. if Samsung cared, they would lock it down. Guess they cared after all :)
8. BigDenn (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
There is a fix already:
go to /system/build.prop and change 2 lines
reboot and enjoy.
14. sum182 (Posts: 229; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Yup, just edit your build.prop to that of the S3 (GT-I9300) and BAM, acess!
30. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I was just going to say that - easy fix.....
9. amancarlos (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 May 2012)
mine still works on cm9 atrix4g, it was buggy from the start
but still works, unlike yesterday.
12. dcgore (Posts: 212; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
This is a filter free comment but i have to say Samsung is a lot more apple like that they'd care to admit.
23. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I don't think it's very fair to Samsung to say that. The SIII has yet to be released, what if they're doing final testing before the launch and can't because servers are jammed due to extremely high traffic?
Obviously, the SIII test before launch and the phone itself should have priority. Maybe once the SIII is launched and it's stable, Samsung might open up the servers again to other Androids, who knows?
15. ibap (Posts: 738; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
So essentially you hack access to a server service that was intended for a specific purpose and then complain when they cut you off?
I'm sure they built it with a certain load in mind, and it is their's to do with as they please.
Quit'cher whinin'. You haven't paid for it, and they didn't advertise it as being free to everyone.
16. mercorp (Posts: 998; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Why not let us have s voice for a fee instead,samsung?
19. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
thats because samsung thinks it will be one of the main selling points of its news flagship... So if it will be open to the android public they think it will be less of a big deal... its just similar to what apple was thinking... and they were right.... alot of people try and buy the 4S for Siri... just like my friend and a couple of relative xD
17. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Now that is good..
Samsung worked hard on that and no other people have the right to run this software on thier phone other than the samsung galaxy s III, so i like this move by samsung.
20. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
This was super expected....LOL of course there going to find a way to make the S voice exclusive to the S3 its dubbed as one of its selling points... Its so similar to the move apple did... Voice assistan double day ja vu
21. joaolx (Posts: 364; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I told this was going to happen sooner or later and you guys said that they weren't like apple and that s voice didn't run through servers. So there it is. They are trying to protect they property and s voice is a selling point for sgs3 so it's normal they'd block.
22. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Even android has to stop their own users from copying lol is guess even the users are copy cats lol.
31. hybris (Posts: 56; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
This move was by Samsung and completely unrelated to Android as an OS. What the hell are you talking about? And Samsung is using this feature as a major selling point for their new flagship device, of course they don't want it being used on other phones pre-S3 launch. Have some common sense.
25. JusMePnut (Posts: 31; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Had it and may use the work around. But this app is not a good enough reason to buy this phone. I have the E4GT on alpha cm and there is nothing about the S3 that says I should spend 600 bucks on it. Isn't even a complete upgrade from this phone here.
26. ap1989 (Posts: 145; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
forget you Samsung i hope your tablets do get banned here in the US. all you care about is the next product to sell here
27. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Just get the Vilingo app free from the market, It's actually better anyway
28. cncrim (Posts: 689; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
"Good artist copy, bad artist steal." Come Samsung, think diffirent intead copy what apple doing.
32. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Vlingo is actually much better than Google's voice command system imo.