Rumor alert: next Nexus smartphone due within 30 days, Android 4.2 on board
0. phoneArena 01 Oct 2012, 03:45 posted on
Brace yourselves, folks, for we have another fresh dose of Nexus rumors to deliver. According to "industry sources", Google has a new smartphone to unveil within no more than 30 days, and it will be powered by a new Android version. That is said to be Android 4.2, which has reportedly been showing up on server logs already...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Cyan3boN (Posts: 425; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
4.2 already, Android is running outta alphabets. at this pace they would've used the 26 alphabets by the end of next year.
14. MeoCao (unregistered)
Wow, guess what will come with Key Lime Pie?
- Voice enabled play list launching
- Smart stay made standard
- camera digital zooming
- Google Wallet expanded
- Virtual girlfriend (boyfriend) :)
50. skymitch89 (Posts: 1086; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
You must not know Android very well. Android has had digital zoom built into the camera since Android 2.0/2.1 Eclair.
55. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
true. i want a Gnex II
59. MeoCao (unregistered)
Digital zoom must be supported with processing technology similar to PureView and iPhone 5 which is not there yet for Android.
64. theyseemetrollintheyhatin (Posts: 10; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
Don't forget that the also got a new badass map app
15. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 381; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I don't think its going to have a new name... just some minor fixes... tweaks to Project Butter.. besides.. they can always start again can't they? :)
24. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
minor fixes like Google now?
it is not iOS with downgrading features ;)
46. MISTER.H (banned) (Posts: 167; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
And believe me it will be let down hugely by spec.
2. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1087; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
For me the HTC Nexus5-incher will be the device to get")
3. Cesar (Posts: 132; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
4.2? android version is updating so fast!!!
android device even half the 4.1
63. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I have a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and a Xoom, so they can update anytime they want and I will be happy. Nexus ftw
67. Cesar (Posts: 132; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
i have the SAMSUN GALAXY S III and the Jelly bean isn't oficial YET! i waiting for update!
4. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I love everything about this, I can't wait. I hope one of my theories come true...
23. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
whats your theorie about bro?
25. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Comment #47. That's what I hope this Nexus release will be.
27. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
amazing, only thing is the price you mentioned would DEFINITELY be higher than 500 - 600 off contract! trust me i look at ebay phones alot and a phone that good would, without a doubt, be 750 to 800 dollars......hope it comes true tho man
30. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Well yes, but if Google is aiming to minimize price like they did with the Nexus 7, it could be 500-600 in Google Play. With the huge spec bump in processor, RAM, and camera, I set the price at 3 times that of the Nexus 7. 3 times the price for 3 times the quality.
34. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
you know what man? I cant knock the vision! if google would actually think like that for this one it would, without a doubt, shut out every phone for a good while lol all the top notch specs.......google updates.......and a price that meaner than your detention teacher........i feel it can happen so im definitely with cha on this one :)
36. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
If Google did this, they would win. I don't even know what they would win, but whatever it is, they would win lol
40. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Lmaooo.......they would win the argument of whos got the best phone fer sure.....
42. wickets (Posts: 12; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
That would definitely be a *phones* phone. Even if as X-K suggested the price needed is higher than your estimate, it would fly off the shelves. I would buy one anyway haha
44. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
wow dude did you jus give me that nick name? X-K? DOPEEE! lol i like that one man hahaha good one
5. HTCFreak (Posts: 150; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
I hope it will pack much more features than 4.1! :D But I don't care, I will get it anyways! What's better then an amazing pure-Google phone? I can't wait! :D
6. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 411; Member since: 04 May 2012)
LG Optimus G's extreme power with Vanilla Android 4.2? WoW
11. GUNDAM (Posts: 63; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
with oppo find 5's 1080p resolution screen and a 3300mah battery :OO
8. frydaexiii (Posts: 1238; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Nah, no way they'd hit 4.2 when the only devices that are running official JB are the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7. Maybe 4.1.X or something.
9. bloodline (Posts: 693; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
waiting paitently for the nexus.
IMO nexus is the future
45. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
you guys are making me want one man.......and ive really been focusing on HTC and Sony lately........Hopefully we could get a "complete" HTC Nexus.......specs, battery, and build know what im sayin?
10. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
a wild idea just struck me ... what if we are not actually gonna see 3-5 nexus devices ... instead it will be one device made by more than one at the same time ...and each are providing what they do best ...that would be a dream coming true xD
13. wendygarett (unregistered)
Ohh Google, you may take my money anytime, anywhere...
And give me any device which you think it suits me Google, I'm very happy to wait :D
28. cheetah2k (Posts: 845; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Starting to sound as obsessed as those i5heep thingies... :p
58. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Her post is dripping with sarcasm lol, can't you see it?
16. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 381; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
I think it's great that they have multiple Nexus devices... most of the people want stock Android experience but one thing puts them off... like screen size or something.. multiple Nexus means variety... reaching out to more people's needs..
17. Sniggly (Posts: 7131; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I call bulls**t on the 4.2. I don't think Google would really be that stupid. ICS is at what, fifteen percent as is? With Gingerbread still at 65 percent and JB only at 1 percent. Google would have to be completely out of touch to release another major version so soon. They need to get the lag between their version releases and the releases' adoption by the manufacturers and carriers resolved first.
20. sid07desai (Posts: 264; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Or maybe 4.2 is just a minor upgrade (maybe focused just on tablets). Still called Jelly Bean. Just like they did with Honeycomb from 3.0 to 3.1 to 3.2. Let's see
26. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Android 4.x was supposed to bridge tablets and smartphones together, so there won't any "Honeycomb" equivalent to Jelly Bean. More than likely it would be 4.1.2 that will release on the new Nexus, just some minor bug fixes.
21. Sniggly (Posts: 7131; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
My apologies, updated figures from the beginning of September are 57 percent for Gingerbread, 20 odd percent for ICS, and 1.2 percent for Jelly Bean. Granted, a big chunk of people being on older versions is based on their lack of desire to update the software, and with GB to ICS, it's also an issue of buying phones as late as this year which will never be updated to ICS or better, but still, we can't have another major release so early. It'll piss everyone off more than excite them.
37. remixfa (Posts: 13969; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
bah, you forget the vast majority of users are not overly connected tech nerds like us. The majority probably doesnt even know there is an update past whatever is on their phone.
If it is 4.2... which would be a little early for its release cycle, it would probably be just some minor tweaks n such. Then again, that's what I thought 4.1 would be and that turned out to be a pretty big update.
18. depeche (Posts: 60; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Hopefully they have a wide range of size to choose from....
I prefer screen size around the 4.3"....
19. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
sounds good...........adreno 320 perhaps?
22. TheRetroReplay (Posts: 245; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I highly doubt that it's 4.2, 4.1 just came out and Google hasn't even officially announced what 4.2 is
29. Husker62 (Posts: 13; Member since: 03 Aug 2009)
After using the Samsung Galaxy Nexus all I can say is OMG! THE PURE ANDROID EXPERIENCE IS AMAZING! COME ON HTC! I LOVE THE BUILD OF THEIR PHONES!
35. android8 (Posts: 22; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
I second yo your comment. The build quality of HTC is great and other competitors are unable to match up. With vanilla android it is gonna be amazing....
38. remixfa (Posts: 13969; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
now if only they gave a shyt about battery life, durability, and phone weight.
47. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4075; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
They're learning on battery life, but what about the durability and the weight? I've never seen drop tests on the One X, but I imagine it would be pretty durable. And it weighs almost exactly the same as the GS3, only 0.1 ounces difference according to PA, the One X being lighter.
31. Shubham412302 (Posts: 298; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
It must be 4.1.2
32. mas11 (Posts: 1030; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I would love to see a Motorola Nexus on Verizon
41. Hayatte (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
oh my. i think it's going to be an HTC phone. a couple of developers from XDA are teasing people since yesterday. They are saying on the htc one x forum threads that something awesome is coming. they just can't say any information yet because it is still confidential but they are saying it's coming very soooon.
43. ronjr123 (Posts: 61; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
By launching more phones this year and then by advertising the heck out them in the hopes they sell really well is Google's way taking over the updating of the phones like apple. Hopefully they get the providers like verizon to stop delaying updates for so long and also get manufacturers on board to extend the life cycle of their phones.
Maybe in a few years all manufacturers will only launch new phones once a year and all of them being a nexus device. Then they would have the power over the providers like apple does of dictating the update schedule.
48. BabyWade (Posts: 42; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
I just hope a Nexus device comes to AT&T this year.
49. ILikeBubbles (Posts: 302; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
IF this is accurate, and there is no proof or evidence. Google is way more likely to publicize the Nexus... Come on people.
There is no way this will be key lime pie, this is probably just an expansion of jb. As much as u believe android "fragmentation" is simply the cost of how quickly hardware is progressing Google is much to smart to release two full os updates in the same year.
I am so excited to see, however that someone other than Samsung will get the torch. I know they've been doing a great job with the Nexus series (except software lol) but it's nice to see Google foster some internal competition also. I would love to see LG get a real crack at the android industry because from what I see they're there but not particularly considered by anyone. I know I myself am pretty much HTC or bust..
I'm excited to see what will happen, if anything at all but I'm satisfied with keeping my pants on till it does. I :p
51. skymitch89 (Posts: 1086; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I don't really care what specs of the next Nexus or Nexuses have, I'm still focused on getting the Note 2 next year on my upgrade, at least for the 14 day return period (if I find it too large for me). I'm sure that if it does come with Android 4.2, then I will be a minor update to 4.1 in which bugs are fixed and hardware optimization is implemented.
53. Hina14 (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
Please HTC, PLEASE make a good...no scratch that...superb Nexus. Even if it is not in the next 30 days I don't care. Just please take an acceptable amount of time to go over every nook and cranny for shortcomings while putting in the best type of awesome we have ever seen. No offence, but I keep seeing all these "behind the scenes" videos of HTC staff saying how much effort, creativity and time you put into a specific phone (Thunderbolt, One series, etc) when they all turn out less than spectacular. Please no repeats HTC!
54. Danre (Posts: 85; Member since: 02 Sep 2012)
Android 4.2????? That is shocking.
But still good news.
But I doubt Android 4,2.
It may be 4.1.X something.
and I am looking forward to new nexus series.