Rumor about 4-inch screen on new iPhone gains more weight
0. phoneArena posted on 17 May 2012, 03:18
The next iPhone will have a 4-inch screen - we’ve heard it yesterday and we’ve heard it last year from all kinds of sources, but now both the Wall Street Journal and Reuters agree…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ananya22 posted on 17 May 2012, 03:33 12 1
first!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont thik that would happen. apple think that 3.5 inches is the perfect size to hold in an average sized hand without any troubles and unless kids with larger hands are being born they'll stick with 3.5. i know we've seen apple add a few things like drop down notifications and wallpaper being inspired from android but they have been adamant on some of they're issues so i doubt the larger screen. and jobs loved the large bezel so its shortening is unlikely
8. ardent1 posted on 17 May 2012, 04:44 9 0
Apple typically refrains from introducing the technology unless it was ready for mainstream. The biggest hurdle for Apple is the battery life -- if you want a bigger screen, you need a bigger battery (i.e. more mAh), and if you want 4G, then you also need a bigger battery, etc.
I believe Apple will introduce a both a bigger screen and 4G since it has been working on the battery technology -- as a corollary, the battery technology on the iPad 3 supports both retina display and 4G.
12. abdane posted on 17 May 2012, 05:24 9 0
lol, who said the next iPhone will be called iPhone 5 ??? maybe it'll be iPhone 4S2 ??? LOL ( and i dont mean as in GS2, i mean 2nd iPhone 4S :P )
18. PhoneArenaUser posted on 17 May 2012, 06:14 9 3
No, it will be called "iPhone Lawsuit". :D
31. xoutrageousx posted on 17 May 2012, 10:28 0 4
nah, it will be called Samsung Galaxy S3 since...that's just a Samsung Galaxy S2 with just a few things changed.
37. EclipseGSX posted on 17 May 2012, 12:42 2 0
Wasn't the 4S just a 4 with a few things changed?
25. Phullofphil posted on 17 May 2012, 06:56 1 1
If you take the fact that the phone does not have to bigger to have a bigger screen then every thing would fit into the same form factor. But any smart company that wants to compete in the future knows that sometimes you can't stick to an idea and think its the perfect one and will always stay the same. Any way there is so much unused areas on the iPhone unused. The other thing is weathe Steve jobs already designed this next iPhone is doubtful or likely. I think some of thes next round of apple products will have a little bit of a different view from wich comes from a company that has to prove that it can compete and thrive as good or better under new management
2. jackhammeR posted on 17 May 2012, 03:35 7 8
good boy. here is your potato)
4 is a reasonable size. I'm tired of those gigantic screens.
3. networkdood posted on 17 May 2012, 03:40 10 1
WOW how innovatively, innovative.
PHONEARENA? Listen up. You need to write on article on how well the rumors went from the last phone, the 4S, so that we can know who to actually believe on what the iphone will look like.
I would be shocked if the little phone did not have 4G LTE connectivity and at least a 4" screen.
I am guessing it will have the same normal underwhelming processor that works great in an iphone, unless you start asking it to do true multitasking.
I am taking bets as to the next model name - I say it will be the iphone 4GS.
Motto will be: The next iPhone - faster, bigger, better.
32. theruleslawyer posted on 17 May 2012, 10:32 0 0
I'd bet 4" screen- bigger but still small compared to Android
cpu- probably a a5x, maybe on a smaller process by now.
ram- most likely 1gb.
New case design.
I doubt we'd see quad cores or 2gb of memory. Apple will be trying to compensate for the power draw of LTE and a larger screen. I don't expect those move until the iphone 6.
I think the big question is software. Will apple ever update iOS to something more than pages of icons on a screen?
4. PackMan posted on 17 May 2012, 04:02 0 8
They won't do it. Apple cares about its customer and they wouldn't want their users to feel inadequate.
5. AppleConspiracy posted on 17 May 2012, 04:02 2 8
The next iPhone will be small iPad.
iPhone is dead end for Apple. Acknowledging that they are just following competition would destroy them as a game changers, trend setters and industry leaders.
They are more likely to revolutionize the Industry again. First scenario that I can think of is shifting industry toward iPad, in which they are still untouchable, and leaving iPhone to his destiny, like they did with iPod when everyone else caught up, leaving it behing newly established iPhone that again revolutionized Industry like iPod did at the turn of the centuries.
6. ivanko34 posted on 17 May 2012, 04:32 15 5
They are going to sue everyone else who uses a 4 inches screen?
11. Phd_MSc_Eng posted on 17 May 2012, 05:02 0 4
What do you think about the name... it's gonna be " iPhone 5" or " iPhone "
17. jackhammeR posted on 17 May 2012, 06:12 1 4
Probably just iPhone..it should be something like Jobs' heritage.
There are rumors he worked hard on this project.
13. SeniorEd posted on 17 May 2012, 05:31 0 3
I sure hope they go to at least a 4 inch screen and keep the aspect ratio at 13.5 to 9 (or 3 to 2, 1.5 to 1, whatever you want to call it) as that ratio gives a good surface area for a given diagonal. In fact, if Apple goes to a 4.5 inch diagonal and stays with the iphone's current aspect ratio, the surface area is greater than the Nexus and almost as big as the Galaxy S III. That would be cool!
15. APPLE_R0YALLY (banned) posted on 17 May 2012, 06:03 1 7
WE SAY™ no one knows till October.....!? WE THINK™ it will be a 4 inch.....!?
WE® assume this changes everything.....!? WE ROYALLYS™ will ask
Apple.....!? WE™ await.....!?
29. jmoita2 posted on 17 May 2012, 09:51 2 0
Must say APPLE_R0YALLY, you post the most annoying to read comments...besides gallito and taco, that is.
46. Sackboy117 posted on 17 May 2012, 20:59 0 0
I love Apple Royally's comments :)
16. Alistaire posted on 17 May 2012, 06:04 3 1
the ipad is the bigger iphone. And when not in use, it double as a shiny cheese platter.
19. Gcombs posted on 17 May 2012, 06:16 0 1
I think Apple is going to come out with an odd size screen. We all know their are 4 inch screens and 4.3 also which are normal for todays phones. With that being said I'm guessing somewhere in the 4.1 to 4.2 inch screen size.
21. shnibz posted on 17 May 2012, 06:24 0 0
4-4.3 inch is perfect it think...nice to look at but still managable, my Nexus with 4.65 is awkwardly large and i'm a 6 foot tall dude. My droid Bionic feels much better
22. AppleConspiracy posted on 17 May 2012, 06:31 1 0
If it's going to be 4-inch screen:
1152x768 resolution, because:
- backward compatible with resolution of 3,5" Retina: (factor x1.2 for every pixel in vertical and horizontal resolution)
- same aspect ratio, that is 3:2 (1.5)
- 329 PPI (just like today's Retina)
- sort of compatible with iPad (only for smaller dimension, 768 pixels in iPad and iPad 2, factor 2 for iPad 3)
How does this sound?
23. Exile_One posted on 17 May 2012, 06:40 0 0
4 inch is to small for me, im 6 3 and i got big hands...I need something 4.5 and above...
24. kastor posted on 17 May 2012, 06:49 0 0
well i can use a 3.5 inch screen buti love bigger,4 is perfect size,and everything lower tahn 3.5 is for me too small
26. dcgore posted on 17 May 2012, 07:15 0 0
A bigger screen is all good but really what apple should do is focus in changing iOS. Although it is intuituve and great, it is becoming boring. I am not saying they should add widgets but maybe change the launcher and visually make changes.
30. android1234 posted on 17 May 2012, 10:08 0 0
I remeber 2 years ago when Android was just picking up momentum on Verizon with the OG Droid, and even a year past that. The drivign force was the apps. Android didnt seem to have quality apps, games, etc. But as of today they have almost all quality apps that youll find on the app store. So since apps doesnt add too much of a differentiation anymore, Android ICS takes over. I have the iPhone too and loved it, but the OS gets voring too fast. Now i have the Galaxy Nexus and its way better. I love the huge screen and the layout of Android ICS. But i cant wait to see what the new iPhone will bring, they shold anounce iOS6 in June i think..
33. taco50 (banned) posted on 17 May 2012, 12:10 2 6
I think iOS 6 will mop the floor with android. Google's OS is already behind but the Apple update will just widen the gap.
36. Fallout09 posted on 17 May 2012, 12:26 1 0
I know I shouldn’t fall for it but what the hell are you talking about? Google's OS is already behind? What are you putting in your tacos that make you so delusional?
38. EclipseGSX posted on 17 May 2012, 12:44 2 0
As usual he is full of s**t. Just because its not the same boring 4 tile app launcher its "behind"
34. thedarkside posted on 17 May 2012, 12:18 0 0
theyd have to go big or go home. yeah apple is doing pretty well with rockin the 3.5 but a lot of android phones are getting bigger screens (note, spectrum, etc). if apple wants to keep up with the competition theyll have to up the screen.
35. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid posted on 17 May 2012, 12:19 3 0
taco50 strikes again with his hard boiled facts!
40. gallitoking posted on 17 May 2012, 14:18 0 3
this what I know.. the design whatever will be it will beautiful, a well polish OS and blazing fast..
42. EclipseGSX posted on 17 May 2012, 15:28 0 4
But....but Apple already is blazing fast compared to laggy Android. How can you improve on its "magical" perfection anymore?
44. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) posted on 17 May 2012, 17:59 0 0
so ur an ifan now. mmm changed sides.
45. EclipseGSX posted on 17 May 2012, 18:22 1 0
Its called sarcasm but a foreigner like you doesn't know the difference unless you were sarcastic yourself then bravo
49. jmoita2 posted on 18 May 2012, 09:41 0 0
I definitely smelled the sarcasm on that one...
41. valapsp posted on 17 May 2012, 14:40 0 0
4 inch screen is THAT important? it's almost a year since we heard rumors about the next iPhone's screen size. stop talking about that please.
48. jmoita2 posted on 18 May 2012, 09:38 0 0
It seems that if it really happened, Apple would definitely be behind the curve on this one. But as we all know, it would be advertised as if it was another "magical" Apple innovation that has never happened before. And then we would start seeing the ridiculous lawsuits to stop anyone else from offering larger screen phones.
47. BattleBrat posted on 17 May 2012, 21:45 3 0
Wow an even bigger screen to plaster with its simple apps launcher OSI here by declare that iPhones are nothing more than advanced feature phones. My Android tablet has shown me the light! And iOS cannot compete, it is LIGHTYEARS behind. With a little tweaking, I'm pretty sure they could make Android apps that match their PC equivalents in features and functionality. As for the new iPhone, I plan on getting one, I'll be buying my buddies upgrade, and getting the largest capacity offering for $200 off, yes! But my RAZR shall remain my phone.
50. jmoita2 posted on 18 May 2012, 09:43 0 0
But since we are talking big screen, I think my 4"3 is as large as I would ever want it to be. I remember it did take me a little while to adjust to texting and browsing due to the larger size.