Rumor: Sony prepping 5" Xperia Cyber-shot and Walkman phones for Q3 to lure camera and music buffs
0. phoneArena 29 Mar 2013, 04:09 posted on
We've been hearing rumors for a while about this project, allegedly dubbed One Sony, but now a tipster of hours fleshed out the title with some heartwarming stories about Cyber-shot and Walkman tech about to be stuffed in flagship Xperia smartphones with Android. Of course, the information below is neither confirmed by Sony, nor verified, save for some rumblings on several company-centric forums, so we can't vouch for its credibility, but here's the full scoop...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
13. tech2 (Posts: 2443; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
I remember 5 years ago I had Sony's k800i Cybershot. Carl Zeiss + Sony + Cyber-shot = Awesome !!!!! Would nice to see Xenon flash too but oh well........
Only if they could improve on their screen technology i.e. non TFT screen then my money is yours Sony
16. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Yeah TFT screens are not as good as IPS and AMOLEDS.
Imagine full HD IPS display with BRAVIA ENGINE!
Xperia Walkman and Sony Exmor Sensor. Perfect!
23. pwnarena (Posts: 974; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'm really confused though. the last display comparison here on phonearena showed a nokia lumia 920 (supposedly IPS) having viewing angles worse than xperia z's.
64. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Comparing full HD 1080p display with 720p displays is not fair. Actually Lumia 920 hasn't the worse viewing angle but its the actually 1080p displays which are making it to look worse. I mean if you see all the 720p display then you will know what is actually PUREMOTION HD+.
26. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
TRILUMINOS WITH QUANTUM DOTs screen and X REALITY is more perfect i think
17. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I had the 700, 750, 800 and 850. The Cybershot used to be the phone I would always get, When I was due for an upgrade I'd just get the latest Cybershot model. They were awesome phones.
14. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
35. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SONY is back with there old skool products!
Great now we shall have the best of everything!
62. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
I am not saying about WP or Symbian. I am saying that is will be the competitor to the pureview technology. Pureview 808 is still unbeatable and you have to accept the fact please!
65. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
if they combined original pure view with pure view 2
this is unbeatable
but now low light pure view 2 is unbeatable
in details the original is unbeatable
72. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
How about the best of both?
80. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
this is exactly what I am talking about
43. amansingal14 (Posts: 296; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
All hail the iPhone competitor :)
Cybershot + Top End Specs + Small Size = My next phone...
46. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SONY is back and could take 3rd or 2nd or be on par with HTC. Great™®
58. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
That's the one I wanna see as well bro, let me see that bad boy!
50. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Experience the best of camera in a Sony smartphone. :)
52. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Carl Zeiss with Cyber Shoot & Xneon = 808 PureView
54. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
808 Pureview + Sony cybershot = BEST!
63. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
55. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Cybershot and Walkman...........is brilliant one........!!! bring it on sony with old hit stuff........!!!
2. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Holy s**t...With an oled display they can easily gain the top position..
30. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
In my opinion the LCD screens used by HTC are the best screens ever. oled screens produces sharp colors that makes me dizzy. but i guess that's preference.
38. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
ni the past htc using SLCD from sony and now they use sharp screen
57. rd_nest (Posts: 824; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
They are using Sharp and Samsung screens in One.
M7 JDI Samsung C2 1
M7 JDI Samsung C2 2
Yes, HTC One's screen is itself made by Samsung!
73. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
56. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
they need this if they want top position in android........!!! great decision....sony
5. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
anyone else surprised that there aren't more camera phones? Or at least camera's with the functionality of a smartphone minus the phone.
74. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
someones4 got trolled!
7. supa_dupa (Posts: 73; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Not impressed...their "latest and greatest" 13 mp camera in Xperia Z was easily beaten by HTC ONE's 4 mp shooter...
19. smallworld (Posts: 439; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
False. HTC One camera is a fail and is even delaying the phone.
20. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
i think sony camera sensor is better than htc one, just see iphone5 they use sony camera sensor
sony just use bad software/firmware if sony use more advance image processor like BIONZ it will be one of the best
21. pyradark (Posts: 783; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Xperia z is not meant for a sharpshooter. Its for rugged uses
37. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
yes for the ruggedness and of course what alot of people want from the xperia Z is the bragging rights xD
24. pwnarena (Posts: 974; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
it's the xz software that's messed up. the sensor i think is ok. maybe it's even the same sensor used by the galaxy s4 which produces really amazing photos.
sensors are not the only thing that make cameras. there are also the lenses, software, etc etc. iphone and the galaxy flagships have made better use of sony's camera sensors.
45. gregariousguy (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
totally fake news, just check the review of ONE at gsmarena and there they said that Z cam is far superior as compare to htc one
79. rgxVOiD (Posts: 435; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Just that their software are s**t, they need to improve on that
88. TMach (Posts: 387; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Get real. I own the Xperia Z and the photos are as good as I have seen on any other smartphone. If you want professional pics suggest you invest in a SLR camera. I also just got the HTC One and whilst I love it, the camera is simply awful and worse than the old 5MP phones that used to be around years ago! The HTC One has a lot of strong points but I do not think its camera is one of them as I consider it below average! Just goes to show why you should not rely on these biased reviews....EVER!
8. zippolite28 (Posts: 101; Member since: 28 Sep 2012)
We are amazing we like ever best and want them ... sony started to show power of there smart phones
9. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 159; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
actually I will wait until the nexus 5 with nikon lens
10. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 342; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
If the cybershot one has a micro sd slot, I might have to check it out. Cybershot and Walkman were the brands that made SE phones awesome sauce. The W800 was one of the most amazing phone designs ever.
12. luabin (Posts: 30; Member since: 29 Jul 2012)
i like this, head to head with samsung galaxy camera!!! more surprises please!!!
15. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Screen must be IPS not the TFT
25. pwnarena (Posts: 974; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
ips is still tft. better if they use sharp's igzo displays for lower power consumption.
18. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
just hope SONY will use TRILUMINOS QDs screen with X REALITY + CYBERSHOT with BIONZ image processor + WALKMAN with integrated amplifier chip + SONY innovative design with IP rating
75. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Dreams! Its 2013 dude.
81. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
60% chance PA rumors One Sony specs recap 5 inch 1920x1080p 2000:1 Contrast VA Type screen, X-
Reality 2 GB RAM Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 2.3 ghz + Adreno 330 4G LTE Global 20 mpx downsample tech 1/2.3" = 1/2" size sensor, Sony
optics IP 55/57 Water/Dust resistant 2700-3000 mAh Battery Xenon/ Dual LED Plasma flash Walkman Audio Will be sold under a new sub brand umbrella like
Samsung Galaxy "S" line Also it won't be anywhere near as thick as Pureview 808
etc simply because Exmor RS is a stacked sensor and as
such even with same sensor size and max res, it is
physically significantly smaller than other brand sensors
and even Sony's own Exmor R sensors. And as I mentioned earlier, the sensor on one sony will be
exclusive to Sony. Samsung/Apple etc won't get their
hands on it.
My dream have 60% chance ^_^
22. pureviewuser (Posts: 214; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
Great well done Sony this is good to see standards going up
27. Kakooli98 (Posts: 7; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
People, IPS screens are TFT, even AMOLED is TFT. The problem is with the panel they use, which is the opticontrast panel and the contrast is poor due to their calibration to it. Viewing angles is an issue and i hope they use the tru black panel they use on the first gen sony tablet s cuz it has great viewing angles and deep blacks for an LCD panel
28. chunk1x (Posts: 248; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
This is the real Sony that we missed in the past.
29. evil_slayer (Posts: 50; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
oh the old sony ericsson walkman phones and cyber shot phones
i really loved them
glad to hear these are back :)
31. aco96 (Posts: 212; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
OMG, walkman! My dream has come true :D
I had w950 5 years ago, it was an outstanding phone :D
33. pyradark (Posts: 783; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
5inch walkman and cybershoot. Yes!! This is what ive been waiting for, a stand out in one aspect, inorder to shine. Hoping there is a bravia phone.