Root-free Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard available for Android 2.2 and higher
Using the Ice Cream Sandwich source code that was released a few weeks ago, a user on XDA Developers, named for.digit, has ported the Ice Cream Sandwich keyboard over. The keyboard is available for free and does not require the device to be rooted.
Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard
- Multitouch keyboard
- User dictionary, built-in dictionary
- Configurable auto correction
- Redesigned and optimized keyboard layout and style
- Speech to text (select languages only)
- Custom vibration intensity (haptic feedback)
- Long press "Enter" key to bring up smiley alternatives
- Long press on "/" key in URL mode to bring up domains
The developer cautions that it is in beta therefore some bugs are expected. While it currently has mostly good reviews, a number of users with HTC devices are reporting issues with the keyboard.
Ice Cream Sandwich Keyboard [Android Market link]
source: XDA Developers via Android and Me
2. LewsTherin006 (Posts: 140; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
it seems cool, but im hooked on swiftkey. It does me right and is really good at prediction.
3. beatsandmelody (Posts: 109; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
I just installed this on my Droid 1 with CM 7. I think I'll stick with the Gingerbread keyboard for now. Visually, it doesn't look much different. Typing "i" followed by a space does not auto-capitalize. Also, on the GB keyboard, if I type "il" (that's just one I and one L) and hit space, it'll auto-correct to " I'll " which is nice, because obviously " ill " is a legitimate word but not the one I usually want. Rather than constantly tapping on the correct choice, I can take a shortcut by typing one letter less and hitting space and getting the word I want. This ICS apk doesn't do that. And of course, the speech-to-text function is not working.
Still, I can't wait for a real working ICS kb for my Droid. Actually, I can't wait until the SGN comes out, but I'd love a properly working keyboard for now.
Good work XDA.
6. networkdood (Posts: 6274; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Does not sound like the real deal...I will pass, too.
7. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
root-free ice cream:)
11. OldHAG (Posts: 11; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
failed actually zeus is the god thhe sky and creation he wield the thunder bolt but not the "god of thunder" that titles belongs to THOR
13. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
lol thats okay as long as its not iTHOR
8. codymws (Posts: 237; Member since: 17 Jun 2010)
Eh. It's nice, but I think I like the Gingerbread keyboard better. The buttons are too small on the ICS one.
10. Carlitos (Posts: 332; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Egg I still like the Motorola multi touch keyboard. One of the best android keyboards out there.
12. redmd (Posts: 896; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
nice. i like the dark theme. but i really missed that from SGS 1. excellent predictive text.
14. cappy718 (Posts: 25; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
I like the stock one on my Bionic better...keys are bigger for my guy fingers. The keys were just too small on the ICS one...
15. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This so called new keyboard looks like Gravity one or Windows 7.
Mevertheless, looks much better than previous one.
16. cookiemonster435 (Posts: 4; Member since: 02 Jul 2011)
This is probably great but I'm hooked on swipe!