Reuters: Apple to lose the rights to the iPhone name in Brazil
0. phoneArena posted on 06 Feb 2013, 00:22
Brazilian consumer electronics maker Gradiente Eletronica SA might have just won the corporate version of the Powerball lottery as the country's copyright office is expected to give the company the rights to the iPhone name in Brazil, stripping the rights from Apple; Gradiente Eletronica SA had registered the name in the country back in 2000...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. 9thWonderful posted on 06 Feb 2013, 00:34 13 0
welp, looks like its time to pay up Apple...you have the cash so should be no sweat.
11. imsickwithsmartphone posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:10 0 3
of course they will pay
they have a LOOOOTT OF CASSSSSSSSH!!!
25. ZeroCide posted on 06 Feb 2013, 18:25 0 0
They can't afford that, they need all their spare cash to sue people..... you crazy!!!
2. speckledapple posted on 06 Feb 2013, 00:34 6 0
Here is the thing though, why is there a court battle involving the use of the name? Apple surely cannot hope to win a case where the opposing council clearly put forth their trademark before Apple. This should have been a settlement case from the start where Apple just pays the company for use of the name. They must love court battles jeez.
9. -box- posted on 06 Feb 2013, 01:04 2 1
Track record. Cisco had a telecommunications phone called the iPhone way before apple. IPad was unoriginal. I think even itunes wasn't theirs. Imac and ipod perhaps. iDiotic IMHO.
3. cripton805 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 00:38 2 0
Funny how Apple will sue when their patents or copyrights get stolen, and they fight when they think they didnt steal it when its blatantly obvious they did.
8. gallitoking posted on 06 Feb 2013, 01:02 1 12
henry ford may have invented the car.. but try using the original Ford vs todays BMW's....just because it came first doesn't mean is better... the Apple iphone is better than the original Gradiente iphone... good luck marketing that ugly thing
10. ilia1986 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 01:14 5 0
Ugly but useful - it's running Android. iPhone is useless by comparison.
12. gallitoking posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:32 0 6
not the latest Android version.. so most likely it lags..
17. ilia1986 posted on 06 Feb 2013, 03:05 3 0
it only lags if you overburden it. The iphone will also lag if you jailbreak it and install tweaks which turn it to a semi-smartphone.
15. roscuthiii posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:55 3 0
Just so you know, Henry Ford did not invent the car. What Ford did was streamline the production process to mass produce vehicles, making them more affordable.
Also, I've had a BMW and they're nothing special. It was breaking down and in the shop all the time. Oddly enough, I now have an older Ford, which is actually providing a much more pleasant driving experience.
18. SleepingOz posted on 06 Feb 2013, 03:54 1 0
Erm.. I'm not a fan of BMW, but the last part of your comment sounds a lil bit biased. It's a well-know fact that BMW is better than Ford.
21. alouden posted on 06 Feb 2013, 08:53 4 0
The point is not whether Gradiente's phone is better or worse. The point is Gradiente clearly has the rights to the name IPHONE.
13. Whateverman posted on 06 Feb 2013, 02:41 4 0
An Android device called the "IPHONE"... That just feels wrong!
19. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 06 Feb 2013, 07:38 1 0
What would happen if Gradiente Eletronica SA started exporting this phone to other countries?
20. SuperNexus posted on 06 Feb 2013, 08:30 1 0
I don't know why Apple launch its phone using iPhone name when they know that Gradiente Eletronica SA is already using iPhone name since 2000.
There is no way Gradiente Eletronica SA going to lose the case.
I don't know what Apple was thinking.
23. hepresearch (unregistered) posted on 06 Feb 2013, 17:06 0 0
HAHA... ha... sheeeeesh! Get that regulator over at the Brazilian Institute of Intellectual Property a wheel barrow... so he can cart his freakin' juevos around! ROFL!