Report says 7 inch mini Apple iPad coming in October, to sport $200-$250 price tag
0. phoneArena 10 May 2012, 17:04 posted on
Apple plans on competing with lower priced tablets like the Amazon Kindle Fire if a reliable source for the website iMore is correct; the tipster says that a 7 inch mini version of the Apple iPad will be launched in October, priced at $200 to $250...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. theBankRobber (Posts: 681; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
I guess there is a sweet spot for 7" tablets now considering Apple and Steve Jobs LOL at the whole thing. Can't help it the kindle Fire is selling really nice and people know you don't have to over pay if your going to just read books and play angry birds. But for that price range, I see maybe $300, nothing less.
3. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Actually the kindle fire sold terrible the last quarter
32. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Q4 2011 results: sales jump to $17.43 billion, but profits drop 58 percent. You can't probably even count. You don't even like any company competing against the IPAD. You keep saying everyone is copying APPLE and it's products. But look at Amazon. And not everyone doesn't have the money or want to spend 500$ on a tablet. you can buy a laptop with that money or a new TV
33. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I would never use a $500 tv. That's a sub par product.
41. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
If the tablet is 7.85", then it should be labeled ad an 8" tablet. Given a refurbished iPad 2 goes for $349 for 16 GB, selling the 8" tablet at $229 will just about destroy the 7" android tablet market ad well as the iPod Touch market.
People need to keep in mind the iPod Touch 4G 8GB goes for about $200.
51. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
So, in short, apple is willing to lose the normal 70% profit on their crummy products made by almost-slave-labor just to monopolize a particular segment of the market. I wonder how much profit they'll make off these (if true)?
2. metoyou (Posts: 279; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Steve Jobs will crawl out from his coffin and knock on Apple head quarter as this is unacceptable to him!!! same with iphone can't be larger than 3.5' otherwise he will rise again :)
5. Commentator (Posts: 3701; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
3.5 feet would be pretty large for a phone...
6. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
why because it would obliterate your "premium, expensive, and only for rich people" argument that you throw around so often?
The apple you knew under Jobs is gone. If you havent notice, Cook is making moves to take iOS out of the air of "exclusive" and make them available to everyone everywhere.. even at walmart, even at 7 inches.
They cant afford to continue to ignore entire segments of the market, just to fit some fanboy fantasy you have.
10. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Looks its my biggest fan that follows all my posts :).
I don't see Apple doing this because they're already dominating the tablet market. This would cut into their profit margins. Also the iPad is selling so well it doesn't make sense to introduce another one so soon.
There really isn't a tablet market. Only an iPad market.
12. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yea, because losing 20% of the market to an Ereader in basically a quarter is "dominating".
Have fun in lala land.. lol
13. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Q1 Apple sold 68% of tablets at least. It's actually more than that because others reprt shipped and not sold.
I'd say that's domination. An e reader isn't a tablet, however the fire did terrible in sales in q1
15. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
When it comes to usage Apple dominates even more. Try 95% of web traffic coming from iPads.
17. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
That says TABLET web traffic, not all web traffic. Dude you really need to learn to read all of the words in the title.
20. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Yeah that's tablet web traffic. And you know why 95% belongs to iPad? Because iPad users have money to throw around, they don't turn their connections off (or most of them don't know how to?).
28. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
What does browsing the web have to do with money? Also u don't know if you know this, but you don't have to turn off your Internet. You only use data when you transfer information.
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I know they're talking about tablet traffic only
27. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
They will do anything for profits. They wouldn't
Want to miss out....
A sad bad company that never donates nor sponsors nor do u see an Apple sign in sports recreation....
11. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
actually isnt that the argument android fans use? that apple is a status symbol?
and i dont see them losing profits at the moment… its not like they are desperate for change
48. chadrick0814 (Posts: 209; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
You are right. Apple won't do it. But the only reason is that it will cut into IPad 3 and 4 sales. It will have little to no affect on the Kindle fire or any other Google tablet. But those considering getting a new IPad would consider the cheaper 7 in model.
7. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
If Apple could sell a quality tablet for $200-$250 I would consider buying it. But they better not cut down on features.
49. frydaexiii (Posts: 1456; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
What "features"? A regular iOS device hardly has any features other than running apps.
8. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i guess apple could do this… but they would have to keep the price down for sure… because if its somewhere closer to 300, why not just buy an ipad 2 for just a little more… but they have always been pretty competitive on the entry level ipad pricing so who knows
16. shamataa (Posts: 217; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
I don't see this happening with Apple b/c they would would never sell that much. they always charge at least 500 for a tablet ( Ipad 2 execption).
19. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Do sheep make a noise when they fall down if no one is around to hear that noise?
21. LordOfTroll (banned) (Posts: 54; Member since: 08 May 2012)
Now Apple will eat into the cheap, laggy, fragmentated, spyware, malware, messy ugly widgets Android share.