Report: Sony Xperia Z to launch on January 15th, beating out next Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S IV
0. phoneArena 29 Dec 2012, 21:37 posted on
Speculation from Chinese website ePrice says that the Sony Xperia Z, formerly known as the Sony Yuga, will be launched on January 15th which is exactly one week after the start of CES 2013 where the phone will be introduced; the device is one of Sony's flagship models and will be out before the next Samsung and Apple high-end handsets hit the market...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
20. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
ok, so 'what' exactly about this phone will make me want to buy it?
21. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4166; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Mainly, the camera. Sony is known for having some of the best cameras. That and with a 1080p display with their own Bravia engine, the best processor out right now, and their amazing build quality, it seems to be a pretty great package.
33. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
One Source says that color reproduction is perfect for all multimedia applications that use Sony Bravia Engine, in all other applications the picture is much worse. Reflections backlight perfectly visible in the black areas of pictures and it's annoying. Viewing angles are small, because the fall colors, and the reverse side of Bravia Engine.
45. kobainez (Posts: 344; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That is prototype model of yuga. The final version has better viewing angle and greater colour reproduction
69. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Yeah Apple is using Sony:s camera sensor and has better pictures than Sony:s phones because Apple software tweaks it, which Sony either doesn´t or does badly. The display Sony uses is much worse than IPS LCD or a good OLED. Processor is good but GPU is not so good, adreno 320 is good on 720p display but it doesn´t handle 1080p so good. The build quality is very good that I admit.
89. romeo1 (Posts: 534; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
You are wrong about the camera the only thing sony doesn't tweak good is the auto mode in the daylight.
The sony xperia S and T have better cameras than the iphone 5 even the arc does a better job if you have the settings right.
90. romeo1 (Posts: 534; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
and also the display of the sony xperia s and t are better than the all the oleds around (the ips i haven't seen) only problem with the screen is the viewing angles.
But i don't think there are allot of people who look at a video from the side?
93. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6983; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
BECAUSE it's 5" SCREEN with FULL 1080P. unlike youre tiny iPhone
22. Dacha (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Wrong translation by PhoneArena once again. The original article states a January 15th announcement not release date.
23. ryq24 (Posts: 582; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
announcing it is one thing , when it will be available in the market is another. so far, history shows sony is not very good in this department.
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9690; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm not a fan of Sony's UI, but the specs of the phone is a force to be reckoned with.
70. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
It is almost same specs as Droid DNA, but Sony should have better camera and DNA much better screen.
76. Insignificant (Posts: 192; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Sorry, you're crazy. Bravia Engine 2 and Sony actually using their best screens = rip competition.
27. reyenrique (Posts: 99; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
l like the sound of it an more android phone on the market good for Sony!!! ^-^
30. oister85 (Posts: 427; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Man I'm exited for sony hopefully I can get this phone for upgrade
37. mrdamian0708 (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
The specs are nice, but this is where Sony and every other OEM starts to slide down, the outdated android OS that's said to be on it out of the box.
38. mrdamian0708 (Posts: 4; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
The specs are nice but this is where Sony and every other OEM starts to go downhill, the outdated android OS.
41. datsyuk (Posts: 177; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Looks like an awesome phone but that A15 CPU coming in the S4 will be well worth it.
44. kobainez (Posts: 344; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
15th is nt the launch date PA, its the press conference for the phone! *facepalm*
58. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
u r right...just a press conference...PA should get their facts right....
52. a961009 (Posts: 120; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
Always Sony's UI looks so ugly. Even worse than Samsung Touchwiz
62. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
i like sonys minimalist approach on the ui unlike samsungs touchwiz which i feel like burning in my eyes especially on their 2.3 UI.
96. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
53. black_lance (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Dec 2012)
Why can't all those OEM bring something completely new, instead just improving the hardware. There is no notable feature to push me to buy this flagship phones. sony and samsung talked about flexible displays for years, why we are not able to get hands on those technologies still ?. It is almost 2013. I will say this is to all OEM: don't stagnate, it's boring.
73. masterchina (Posts: 52; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I used to really like Sony products, when I was in the 7th grade!
78. Jyakotu (Posts: 824; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
When I start going the unlocked phone + prepaid SIM card route, I will definitely have Sony as my #1 choice. I love thier UI and their designs are perfect. And while their colors aren't as vibrant as the Nokia Lumia series of phones, I like that they at least try to make different colors for their phones.
81. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6983; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
BEST NEWS I HEAR ALL YEAR. Can't wait for CES!!!!
86. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
sorry people, but probably no 2013 phone can beat the nokia 808 in camera, remember that phones are still stuck on the moar mpx phase, lenses are very important.
Anyway, most of the times, nature > tech
The human eye has 250 mpx and better autofocus better than any camera, nuff said
91. romeo1 (Posts: 534; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
The mp race is over if you did'nt know they already made 20mp+ phones.
But sony is improving the sensors at the moment the exmor r was already a big improvement and now it is the stacked exmor rs sensor in this beast.
And probably also an glass lens as they would make it out of glass and alluminium
95. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
this sony is setting up to be real decent.... amma by it....
my first xperia phone ('v')
98. rcwfox2002 (Posts: 41; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Anyone have any guess on the carrier. I'm hoping Verizon but it seems by the name and bands it's going to T-mobile or AT&T :(
99. jameshoe (unregistered)
nothing difference to htc droid dna