Report: Sony Xperia Z to launch on January 15th, beating out next Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S IV
0. phoneArena posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:37
Speculation from Chinese website ePrice says that the Sony Xperia Z, formerly known as the Sony Yuga, will be launched on January 15th which is exactly one week after the start of CES 2013 where the phone will be introduced; the device is one of Sony's flagship models and will be out before the next Samsung and Apple high-end handsets hit the market...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rusticguy posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:43 32 5
Lol ... they have to write iphone in every article :)
46. kobainez posted on 30 Dec 2012, 00:22 4 3
They mentioned s3 and iphone almost in every article
71. PhenomFaz posted on 30 Dec 2012, 09:56 0 0
yeah those two alwways find a mention...but this may be a samrt move by Sony breakiing their traditional launch cycle. this handset looks promising and Sony may just have a chance of having a good year in 2013!
24. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:54 14 2
One source says that that Sony Xperia Z (a.k.a. Yuga) will support SDXC memory cards up to 128GB.
Nenamark: 60 FPS
Vellamo: 2185 (HTML5)
29. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:06 4 7
Camera will be 12MP not 13MP.
There will be new screen to unlock.
New Walkman features.
32GB of internal storage + 128GB through (Isn't it amazing
31. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:12 4 2
32GB of internal storage + 128GB through SDXC memory card + USB host feature, isn't it amazing? :)
36. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:28 3 2
Bluetooth version 4 with 2 Mbps data rate.
HDR will be available not only for the photos, but also for the VIDEO!!!
42. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:58 1 2
Talking about display it is 5" with FullHD resolution, color reproduction is perfect for all multimedia applications that use Sony Bravia Engine, in all other applications the picture is much worse. Reflections backlight perfectly visible in the black areas of pictures and it's annoying. Viewing angles are small. Density is 440 pixels per inch.
Micro HDMI and micro USB are covered with plastic plugs attached to the hull.
Main camera 12MP with single LED flash.
Possibility to wirelessly stream 1080p to compatible devices.
Sorry if I'm a bit "flooding". :)
47. kobainez posted on 30 Dec 2012, 00:25 2 1
Its actually 13mp normal mode. In HDR mode it limits to 12mp only
67. XiphiasGladius posted on 30 Dec 2012, 07:03 1 3
The Display and the Non-removable battery is a bummer for me.
74. emes360 posted on 30 Dec 2012, 12:31 2 0
How is 5 inches in 441 ppi a bummer?
85. XiphiasGladius posted on 31 Dec 2012, 06:16 0 0
Just read comment 42 by PAUser, my supposed answer is there.
80. JunBringer posted on 30 Dec 2012, 17:04 0 0
Do they even make 128GB microSDXC yet? or are they talking about regular SDXC?
35. loken posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:28 6 2
50. RamyRamz69 posted on 30 Dec 2012, 01:16 4 1
No bro it will be 13, the person who reviewed the phone was using it on iAuto+ :)
56. bipinm posted on 30 Dec 2012, 02:36 2 1
13 not 12...rest is correct...
87. romeo1 posted on 31 Dec 2012, 10:15 0 0
no it will be 13mp but in "super auto mode" the camera can only go to 12mp ;)
64. darkkjedii posted on 30 Dec 2012, 05:39 1 5
iPhone 5, and s3 r the benchmark phones that's why.
75. Insignificant posted on 30 Dec 2012, 12:55 1 0
iPhone is the benchmark phone for all low/mid ends. The S3 didn't blow away most of the competition like the S2 did. The phone race is becoming wilder by the year. This year, I don't think there was a true benchmark phone.
5. rusticguy posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:45 16 4
Not until media is there ... as Apple manages media pretty well. Even if Apple rfeleases a crap screen entire media goes drooling over how good it looks.
26. mick25 (banned) posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:55 4 0
You don't even know what you're talking about.
Apple gained their market share from being there first. If other manufacturers release their flagship model to compete with the iPhone before the next iPhone generation is released, they have much more potential to gain market share by becoming the incumbent. That was Samsung's strategy with the S3, and it was indisputably effective.
79. rusticguy posted on 30 Dec 2012, 13:21 2 0
If that was so apple should have been finished by now. I think i know what i am talking precisely :)
83. imkyle posted on 30 Dec 2012, 21:26 0 0
If that was the case Apple would have been going down when the Galaxy S II came out.
4. cGmC11 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:44 1 1
Sound like that AT&T will unveil this phone in your unpacked event at CES!
11. InspectorGadget80 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:00 1 2
That's what I'm hoping for :) if i dont get the GS IV this will be my top pick
16. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:16 0 3
Some rumors says that Sony Xperia Z (a.k.a. Yuga) will be for Asia market while other model also known as Odin will be for the rest markets.
32. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:13 0 2
But Yuga and Odin specifications will be +/- the same.
65. darkkjedii posted on 30 Dec 2012, 05:42 1 0
I live n vegas, and attend CES every year...it's never unpacked.
7. techguy22 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:52 9 3
beat the next iphone for sure. its not like iphone 5s gonna be any different from its predecessor. sure apple will find a new gimmick for it just like the 4S . but S4 i doubt it. 1080P on S4 is gonna be awesome. iphone will get 1080P in 2030
63. SonyXperiaNexus posted on 30 Dec 2012, 05:15 0 2
even if its better than the s4 sony will need to do some extreme marketing coz the galaxy s series has really made a good image on the consumers and is bound to sell well riding on that image while sony is still trying to win back the consumers satisfaction. but if it can pull it off like nokia did with its lumia series, it might just get back on top. one thing im pretty sure it will beat the galaxy s4 at is the design. sony really needs to work on software update speed.
68. Pedro0x posted on 30 Dec 2012, 09:28 0 0
Iphone always had a very good hardware and good battery life. And why would you need 441 ppi when 320+ is enough, ofcourse it is better but you do not even notice it in real world. I don´t understand why you guys trash iphone even though it is a great phone. And I hope Sony will change the display technology to IPS+ LCD or OLED.
77. Insignificant posted on 30 Dec 2012, 13:02 0 0
Interesting how you say 320+ is enough, because the iPhone has it. If the iPhone had a 316 ppi, you would have said 310+ is enough. Watching 1080p stuff in 1080p sounds good to me.
97. Pedro0x posted on 02 Jan 2013, 12:28 0 0
Come on man, it was just an example. I don´t see any difference between 330ppi and 441 ppi.
88. romeo1 posted on 31 Dec 2012, 10:27 0 0
they are just saying that anything above the 300ppi was enough as we could not see the difference between those who had more but the funny thing is that we can see the difference.
The media is just said that we could not see the differencs but our eyes have a ppi around de 477 ;)
10. rickywinataa posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:00 10 2
well, droid razr maxx HD doesn't has poor battery. what kind of smartphone today has battery life as good as 3310 anyway
9. InspectorGadget80 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 21:59 5 1
If the GS IV won't come out before then I'll be buying the XPERIA Z. Xperia Z or the GS IV was my top two phones for 2013
12. skymitch89 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:06 4 3
Just another company for Apple to sue for no reason.
14. lee480 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:09 17 3
Apple won't sue Sony. Steve Job built Apple based on Sony's model. Even if Apple sues Sony, Sony has million times more patents than Apple.
17. PhoneArenaUser posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:17 13 1
"Sony has million times more patents than Apple."
40. Lawliet posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:44 9 1
Should Apple sue Sony, it'll be sued right back !
54. BattleBrat posted on 30 Dec 2012, 02:16 5 1
Yeah, I've noticed how apple has been pretty quiet with regard to Sony.....
61. zazori08 posted on 30 Dec 2012, 04:19 5 1
well that's because sony supplies apples camera sensors
84. ahomad posted on 31 Dec 2012, 05:35 0 0
not just that, the patent portfolio that sony own is very strong, may be as strong as microsoft, thats why you have never heard apple sues sony, because they will lose for sure they are trying to avoid "waking the gaint". FYI sony just won patent sue against apple (well a company owned by sony)
92. InspectorGadget80 posted on 31 Dec 2012, 18:07 0 0
SONY should SUE APPLE for stealing their prototype
94. bipinm posted on 01 Jan 2013, 04:06 0 0
thats not sony's style...
live and let live...
49. MauriceGerald posted on 30 Dec 2012, 01:01 4 1
As you know there are a lot of rumors that Apple stole ideas from SONY. I think some of those may be really true.So I don't think that Apple has "balls" to sue SONY. If they do it I think Apple will be in sh*t.
As we say "don't pee against wind"
15. unzip7 posted on 29 Dec 2012, 22:14 1 0
I wonder does anyone know why SPRINT does not sell SONY phones?? There must be a conflect of intress?
28. tigermcm posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:01 0 0
I was about to say they do but then I realized they sell sanyo not sony. This is a VERY good question I dont think I ever saw a sony from sprint
34. Droid_X_Doug posted on 29 Dec 2012, 23:27 0 0
GSM versus CDMA radios? No Sony phones have been offered with CDMA radios if memory serves.
55. BattleBrat posted on 30 Dec 2012, 02:21 0 0
Well, the Xperia play was available on Verizon, but yeah, no Sony love for us Verizon folk, but then again Moto shows us plenty of love, I dunno if it is an equal trade off, just picked up a sony Xperia Tablet S and I wonder what
their phones are like...
43. Commentator posted on 30 Dec 2012, 00:08 0 0
Verizon and T-Mobile don't sell Sony phones either, just AT&T.