Report: Apple shakes hand with TSMC on chip supply deal
0. phoneArena 24 Jun 2013, 02:25 posted on
According to industry sources, Apple has signed a deal with chip manufacturer TSMC and its IC design service partner Global UniChip; the three year pact covers the next Ax processors produced using 20nm, 16nm and 10nm processes. TSMC will start by producing the A8 processor in small quantities in July with large quantities coming off the 20nm line after December...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
3. _Bone_ (Posts: 1751; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
You can't. For every Apple chip Samsung loses out on they sell two with their ever growing market share.
2. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Apple : Bye2 samsung...;(
TMSC: Don't worry Apple, we will become the best PARTNER IN THE WORLD :)
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 7804; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Big news, and this is what apple needs to do. Get out of bed with your enemy...
5. vincelongman (Posts: 353; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
"TSMC will start by producing the A8 processor in small quantities in July"
Does that mean there will be no A7 and A7X?
7. theindianguy (Posts: 89; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
I think Samsung is still under contract to make the A7/ A7x chips for this year. The A8 chip will be made by TSMC and will go into mass production in Q1 of next year.
6. TylerGrunter (Posts: 705; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
This may be really bad news for any Android manufacturer if Apple starts hogging the new die processes for their high volume chipsets...
8. Taters (Posts: 1771; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Android will be fine. TMSC isn't that stupid, they wont give them the whole factory and I am guessing Apple will still be popular enough that Samsung and someone else still has to help. Iphone 5 is probably the peak, unless IOS 7 is really that crazy. I doubt it. lol