Report: Apple adding TSMC as second chip source earlier than expected
0. phoneArena posted on 10 Dec 2012, 17:58
A new report released Monday says that Apple is moving up its time schedule for switching to chips produced by TSMC; according to Credit Suisse, the chipmaker could start to receive orders from Apple as soon as the second quarter of 2013...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. ajac09 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:24 2 0
They best upgrade asap samsung is one of the few companies that can provide this much volume of chips
3. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:38 1 5
RIP to Qualcomm & nvidia... No tsmc love to you...
6. gwuhua1984 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:57 1 0
TSMC is not stupid enough to drop Qualcomm & nVidia...
8. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 10 Dec 2012, 19:15 2 0
I'm just joking k? Sigh...
Tsmc is a Taiwanese company, and I believe Taiwanese will never abandoned his old partner... Thats the culture... Just like you should abandon your siblings because they are your first 'friends' since you are born... That's their culture...
Unless tsmc is a greedy company tho.
15. gwuhua1984 posted on 11 Dec 2012, 11:38 0 0
We Chinese/Taiwanese are greedy, that's for sure, it's pretty much in our blood... Otherwise TSMC would of signed with Apple long ago instead of trying to have flexibility, grabbing sales from everyone will always be more than grabbing sales from just one.
4. TROLL posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:40 1 2
Tsmc chips are no way near Exynos chips!
Samsung is a huge company, as such apparently certain parts do not necessarily agree or get along all that well other parts. The fab guys at Samsung are trying to distance the self from the phone guys, and apparently the fab Arm of Samsung has good relationship with Apple. Apple won't move away from SS, when it comes to chips, Tsmc does not have the 28nm capacity to handle Apple right now, or there demands!
7. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 10 Dec 2012, 19:09 2 0
Huh? You do realize that tsmc is now developing the 20nm dont you... Please refer to the previous pa news...
10. Commentator posted on 10 Dec 2012, 20:36 0 0
5. MC1123 posted on 10 Dec 2012, 18:42 0 0
what exactly is apple ordering on samsung? what kind of chips? the exynos? coz they use their own chip SoC right? the a series...
and what could this company actually do?
13. xfire99 posted on 11 Dec 2012, 03:01 1 0
Apples iphones 4->5 are based on Samsungs Exynos. They dont own any SoC, they just design it and let Samsung build it. Most of all Iphones 4/5 are based on Samsung components.
14. Hemlocke posted on 11 Dec 2012, 05:42 1 1
Incorrect. Apple has an ARM Architecture license and the A6 is a custom SoC. The Exynos SoCs are just slightly tweaked ARM designs because Samsung doesn't have an architecture license.
16. MC1123 posted on 11 Dec 2012, 20:34 0 0
yeah..i actually thing of that way too..apple's Aseries is a SoC of apple...they use their own GPU the swift GPU..just like qualcomm's snapdragon who use adreno GPU..but what exactly apple get from samsung?
12. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 10 Dec 2012, 23:51 0 0
Your right. Don't see why you can't have an opinion on this website without getting bashed lol. All the OS's offer something great, and people will use what they like, not what some Internet troll says they have to like. If anything the trolls are pushing people away from whatever they're advocating.