RIM's Heins: iOS is a downsized PC platform, BB 10 is true mobile computing
0. phoneArena 15 Nov 2012, 20:42 posted on
RIM CEO Thorsten Heins believes that carriers are looking for a strong number three to challenge iOS and Android and feels that BlackBerry 10 will fit that need; Heins also noted the difference between iOS and BB10 saying that the latter is a true mobile computing platform...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. nightelf91 (Posts: 20; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Looking forward to seeing what RIM has come up with in terms of hardware/software integration. Hopefully they will have made those extra months count for something!
17. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Agreed! It's good to have alternate players!
That said, ios isn't a downsized platform, it's a media player platform with a bunch of apps. It may be based on desktop code but it is closer to a graphing calculator than it is to a desktop.
22. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
LOOL......it is indeed a "app" launcher.... haha
2. blackspot (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
For the sake of diversity & excitement in the mobile sphere, I hope RIM can pull this off.
3. MeoCao (unregistered)
Talk is cheap. Show us what you have
23. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
uhhh.......they will :)..... envy is poison.......watch what you drink
32. MeoCao (unregistered)
envy? LOL I want RIM to be successful, but they must show what they have achieved and not talk like BB10 is the only real deal in technology.
By the way I'm not a fan of iOS, but I find Heins sounds awfully like Ballmer.
31. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
RIM has spent years of funding and researching on the BB10 OS.
Talk is cheap is right- you should make an OS by yourself and some other geeks.
33. MeoCao (unregistered)
Spending lots of money does not guarantee success. BB10 needs a big idea and not merely copy Android or iOS.
I'm eager to find out what RIM has done.
4. jroc74 (Posts: 5593; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
More CEO's talking smack I see....
That dude needs to just worry about RIM being relevant in the next couple of years....
5. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I feel like RIM is only talking big but not doing anything. They keep bashing out iOS and Android. I am by no means defending iOS but hey at least the company is making billions and Android is moving ahead faster than anyone. But where is RIM??? They basically have no market share. Even if they come out with some crazy feature id think every ios and Android user wil convert to blackberry. They are just too late!!
13. Furbal (Posts: 617; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
If they come up with some unique feature (software side) an android dev will just create it for us to sideload...
Really hard to out-feature open source
34. onethreealpha (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
If you believe that, you're as much a drone to the lies of g00gle as the i-sheep that think the latest i-phone is innovative.
Try mer, or nemo or Jolla if you want REAL open source.
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
As much as I'm anxiously wanna experience the bb10, it will never change the fact that ios is better than bbos when it come to APPS
12. vandroid (Posts: 323; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
It's a new platform how could it have the same amount of apps as ios or android?
14. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
You can port/use Android apps on a new platform with ACL like its possible on Sailfish and PlayBook.
16. vandroid (Posts: 323; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Not every consumer is smart and knows that information they'd be disappointed by the small amount of apps
18. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
BB10 is supposed to have access to Android apps, hence giving it as many or more apps than ios.
19. wendygarett (unregistered)
I didn't know that lol... My apologies friends... So this is the power of open source lol... Take that Apple lol :P
7. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Awaiting what will BB10 bring?
Where is NicolasOliver and Pikapowerize?™®©
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 1943; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I can't wait what bb10 will offer, hopefully that will bring them back to the game again
10. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
RIM should stop making false claims and release bb10 fast. They are gonna be dead anyway.
11. BadAssAbe (Posts: 435; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I'm sorry but BB will fail.
WP's will take 3rd
- BB Must complete with MS over 3rd not apple
- MS Is too big to fail ATM
- In every battle there must be a loser
- Every big moblie OS is better than iOS but iOS is easy to understand and simple.
- BB waited too long release New hardware/software to keep up with the other OS
- Nothing really stands out in BB OS
21. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Well I shall be rooting for them and hope they survive. Competition is always good and without it there's stagnation.
26. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
i know right!! thats exactly the point! without competition, there's stagnation!
so hope people will stop hating RIM and BlackBerry! they are just giving more and more for us to choose!
15. blackspot (Posts: 102; Member since: 14 Nov 2012)
Here's a link to a 14 minute live demo of some of the new features of the BlackBerry 10:
Feel free to weigh-in by giving a thumbs up "or" down whether or not you're liking what you see so far.
24. jroc74 (Posts: 5593; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Just watched it... nice.
Like the lock screen, like how you put the phone to sleep, like the notification features. I want that alarm clock on Android yesterday. Real easy to set alarms with that.
I might need to read up on BB 10 some more....
I like Android...but I am a Motorola fan because so far their phones work the best as phones. I always heard good things about BB and reception. I could leave Android for BB if I get better reception. Maybe. Android apps being available on BB might help sway me. The UI seemed nice and smooth too.
So now I am rooting for WP and BB....lol.
27. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Whatever, all companies should bring products to consumers a day or two after the announcement. Period.
29. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
no need to rush!! and remember RIM dont have that much money! and even Microsoft's WP8 wasnt that rush (rush to be seen in the public but not rush in the market)
and besides they need to make their "ECOSYSTEM" big, coz that what matters now in this world... a sad truth!
so they need devs and apps for their BB10! but this isnt a pain for devs... all they need to do in their apps to work onBB10 is just copy and paste! no rewriting needed! only some few tweaks and then its done!
20. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
im so with him! actually iOS is getting boring! even im an apple fan too! but apple needs to tweak it more to make something breath-taking!
BB10 will truly be a good mobile computing! but they are not the first! the first internet tablet or mobile computer is actually a nokia phone running maemo! and i still give them the credit with it! nokia has been the leader of innovation! apple is dead if nokia didnt accept the money that apple pa for its patent! nokia is the king of patents!
"by Samsung and sees the Korean company becoming the strongest player in the Windows Phone 8 market"
but lol to this statement! nokia will be the STRONGEST AND THE GREATEST Windows Phone maker!! coz if nokia will jump android, i think samsung will loose shares fast! coz nokia is known for being and offering the best! and people still like that!
i want BlackBerry 10 device now!!
28. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
I see something in his statement in which you LOL'ed. Nokia is screwing itself and getting screwed by MSFT, so there's some truth to it.
30. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
yeah!!! a sad sad truth!! nokia was so involve with the creation of WP (they help microsoft making the WP8 OS) but they are not that love by microsoft..even they are the best sellers!... and one thing that proves it is steve ballmer himself... he's WP is a HTC 8X... so much for loyalty to nokia!!!
thats why i love jessica alba now!
25. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I am excited for bb10 and i want to see how innovative they are for their new OS.
if it is failed too then he is just another f**k CEO who is overconfident without proving something
35. Leon101 (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
OHHH damn BB just took a bite from apple!!! LOL
I cant wait to see what BB brings to the table!!