RIM updates BlackBerry PlayBook OS v2.1, featuring improved Android app support
Improvements have been made in three major areas, BlackBerry Bridge, email and PIM and improved Android app support.
- Updated BlackBerry Bridge: Now you can view, respond and compose new SMS messages on their BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet when connected to a BlackBerry smartphone over Bluetooth®. You’ll also enjoy increased performance and speed of other BlackBerry Bridge functions as well. So you can do more, more efficiently. Txt away, my friends.
- Email and PIM Enhancements: You’ve asked for it and we’ve delivered portrait support for email, calendar and contacts, giving you the option to use your tablet in either orientation to message. This will definitely come in handy for those of you who enjoy thumb typing in portrait mode like I do.
- Improved Android Application Support: Includes Multi-Window Applications, Camera Support and In-App Payments. We all love a richer app experience, and with the improvements to the Android runtime, that’s just what you’ll get. Running the applications in separate windows allows you to multi-task between Android apps easier, and in-app payments will make it easier for you to enhance your app content. Game on!
These are improvements that everyone will like. Running multiple Android apps on separate screens leverages the ease of multitasking with the PlayBook's OS, and in-app payments is a great addition.
For the business users, improvements have been made to enhance security and streamline employee sign-up for Mobile Fusion. Administrators can now implement new IT policies which will help them better manage the devices on their networks and full device encryption is now possible as well.
This release is for the Wi-Fi only PlayBook. The 4G versions are pending carrier approval.
sources: Inside BlackBerry and Inside BlackBerry for Business
1. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
good news keep it up rim youll do better than expected :)
5. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
They would do much better if they had the BB10 OS coming out sooner than later
8. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
no need to rush! i mean do you want your main dish to be half cook or still coated with ice?
BB10 will be a perfect update on RIM's Platform!
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
Anybody who think playbook is dated...
Please give it me and I will prove it you are wrong!!
4. tiara6918 (Posts: 1368; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Rim can comeback and stand once again if it keeps giving its customers satisfaction and releasing these updates that puts a smile on bb users
6. pookiewood (Posts: 567; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
The Playbook is really nice, just needs Netflix IMO. We let my daughter use it mostly to watch movies and go to ABCmouse.com. I was surprised at how well ABCmouse.com works on this.
7. downphoenix (Posts: 2295; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I enjoy the playbook, but the apps are lacking. That said, the improved android app support will hopefully get more app developers on board. The timing would be great to start now since BB10 will be coming soon. RIM has been good to us despite the failings though, recently just got Shadowgun for free, and they had a free movie download but I missed out on that.
9. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
keep it up RIM!! very very impressive!
haters gonna hate but RIM is on the right track with QNX-base BB10!!!
10. MitchB (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Oct 2012)
The request for the netflix app seems to be a common question on a few websites. Why has RIM failed to deliver? I use my PB primarly for reading and news but would love to access movies.