RIM founder Mike Lazaridis quits BlackBerry
The company has just launched its first BB10 based smartphone, the BlackBerry Z10, in the United States and announced sales of 1 million devices for the past quarter. It is also planning to boost marketing spending in the forthcoming quarter for the global launch of the overhauled BlackBerry 10. Expectations are for a breakeven next quarter.
Mike Lazaridis, a Greek Canadian, is an engineer at heart who tinkered with gadgets in his parents’ basement long before he co-founded Research In Motion. Still infatuated with technology, Lazaridis established a research fund focused on quantum research and aiming at no less but bringing a Star Trek-like tricorder to reality. He co-founded the fund with RIM co-founder and long-time friend Doug Fregin in the middle of 2012, and with less involvement in BlackBerry will likely be able to focus more fully on it. Good luck, Mr. Lazaridis!
source: BlackBerry (PDF)
The Company also announced that Mike Lazaridis, having fulfilled the commitment he made to the Board in January 2012, has decided to retire as Vice Chair and a Director of the Company. Lazaridis co-founded BlackBerry nearly 30 years ago and served as a co-CEO of the company until last year when he was elected Vice Chair of the Board. Lazaridis, who last week announced the launch of his new venture, Quantum Valley Investments, will step down from the BlackBerry Board effective May 1, 2013.
“We are grateful to Mike for his contributions to BlackBerry during the past three decades,” said Barbara Stymiest, Chairman of BlackBerry’s Board of Directors. “Mike invented the BlackBerry and is widely recognized as one of Canada’s greatest innovators. Mike played a pivotal role for the past 15 months in helping with the leadership transition and the successful launch of BlackBerry 10. We deeply respect and appreciate Mike’s desire to devote his full-time efforts to his exciting new venture, and we wish him all the best.”
“I admire Mike for his many achievements and for his vision in helping bring BlackBerry 10 to fruition,” said CEO Thorsten Heins. “On a personal level, I am grateful to Mike for his help, guidance and advice during my first 15 months as CEO of BlackBerry. I wish him all the best.”
“With the launch of BlackBerry 10, I believe I have fulfilled my commitment to the Board,” Lazaridis said. “Thorsten and his team did an excellent job in completing BlackBerry 10. We have a great deal of which to be proud. I believe I am leaving the company in good hands. I remain a huge fan of BlackBerry and, of course, wish the company and its people well.”
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Mr.Heins, good luck, hope you can take care BB! I'm waiting for BB's comeback!
11. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Looks like the Captain has abandoned the sinking ship.
13. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Looks like the troll has destroyed the sinking ship.
24. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
RIM has been declining for years. My comment was a reflection of that.
25. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Now, RIM is BlackBerry, BlackBerry is BlackBerry. Now the captain is Thorsten Heins.
30. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Copout is copout. I stand by with what I said before.
38. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
They stated to decline from 2011, not for 6 years!
39. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
At least RIM BB is better than Nokia! Nokia sold and closed there own OS and is relying on WP! Meego Maeemo Meltmi and S60!
40. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, I agree. Nokia should've make their own OS or continue supporting Symbian. Symbian would've be the most smartest OS, if they improve Symbian. Well, we can't do anything right now. So, we will just say R.I.P Symbian.
2. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Mike what???.....lizards or whatever....no. Of vote down=no of bb fans.....(this is a census conducted to check the no of bbfans......so feel free....isn't it cool!!
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Try to express your minds more clearly, it is hard to understand you.
47. axllebeer (Posts: 265; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Someone has been rocking the pipe for sure lol.
4. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
good for you mike, run away while you still can. BB is already on their last breath.
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
They're actually on critical life support right now.
6. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Run! Run! BlackBerry's ship is sinking!
17. troutsy (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
I think it'd be better to swim or float if you're in an incident with a sinking ship.
19. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I also think the same, but you know, people in such situations tend to panic and act inadequate. ;)
9. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.
Did you mean: prediction, prelection, PREfection.
10. asingha94 (Posts: 286; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
You are mature enough..so predict what you want!!
43. rusticguy (Posts: 2819; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Next update to WP will have fixes to auto-correct feature.
46. asingha94 (Posts: 286; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Woh!you searched encyclopedia!!so dumb you are!!
50. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
You are a massive idiot. I didn't search an encyclopedia--I purposely looked up the definition of 'predection' just so I could copy/paste the result.
You're a $m@R7 0n3. I would just suffocate myself if I was you.
12. ryq24 (Posts: 469; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Good luck! Live long and prosper! Blackberry may not be like it was before but you were one of the pioneer in telecommunication innovation . Hope blackberry will survive and prosper too!
16. apiskula (Posts: 544; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Blackberry is done...They suck and I cannot wait until they are closed!
48. axllebeer (Posts: 265; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Read this before assuming that all is dead.
The next quarter results will show us a lot more however.
15. apiskula (Posts: 544; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Good move Mike to leave a failing company that is slowly dying. Take a hint Thorsten give up and sell your failed product. There is no comback!
20. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude, I must say they've improved a lot, and BB 10 is not a fail product, I've tried it before. I know BB 10 can't beat Android and WP, but at least it almost can beat Apple right now.
27. Xtasy (Posts: 270; Member since: 13 Jan 2013)
No this beats Android and WP? please lol The multi tasking on BB 10 is a breeze and so is typing on it. The OS is super quick to respond and voice command is so usefull and responsive
28. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Dude, I'm talking about apps, I'm talking about BlackBerry World. :)
18. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6141; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Why should we care bout ceo quitting? All they do is collect their stock shares/bonuswhile the engineers hard @the work doing real work unlike ceo's can do
31. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3224; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
You know engineers can't do the business side of things? It takes more than just people to put toys together to run a company.
36. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I agree there good for nothing and getting paid a million on sitting on the leather chair doing jack, while the middle class are putting and giving effort to make things right!
21. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
the captain left the sinking boat
33. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1552; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
You said abandoned and ship, two TOTALLY separate things :) Also not everyone reads your comments as they are mostly "Blah, blah blah...troll, troll, troll....dumb, dumb, dumb."
35. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Poor BB wonder what pan B is?
Nokia are in the same state as BB to!
49. axllebeer (Posts: 265; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Uh, he hasn't been the captain in over a year.
29. gaurang (Posts: 94; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
i bet most of the commenting are indians cus there are bb fanboys all over here in india,,,
51. gaurang (Posts: 94; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
all i see here is poor people holding the 8350 and pretending to be the king of the world cus they have a "BLACKBERRY" phone.....
41. edwardpascual (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
Why BB does not sell the BB msn to other plattforms before they RIP??? Before the sinkinb boat collapse??!!!