RIM fined $147.2 million over 2008 patent case
0. phoneArena 14 Jul 2012, 11:21 posted on
Mformation Technologies will receive $147.2 million from RIM after a Federal Court in San Francisco ruled that the Canadian based manufacturer had to pay a royalty fee of $8 for each BlackBerry device connected through BlackBerry Enerprise Service; RIM is likely to file an appeal...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 650; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Shame! Can't they just let BB take a breath! I feel sort for them.
2. sid07desai (Posts: 290; Member since: 03 May 2012)
*sorry. But you're right. They're barely managing finances by selling 6 million jets and now 147 million slap. Maybe it is all over for them.
4. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Well, RIM is canadian, so is Justin Bieber.
Maybe it's a payback from god :P
7. downphoenix (Posts: 2733; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Well God should have went after Bieber first. He's more annoying.
8. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
I guess it's ok for RIM to get fined for patents. But it's not ok if Samsung get punished.
12. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
is RIM getting banned?
apple is trying to stifle innovation.
15. jroc74 (Posts: 5380; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea....nice way to try to side step what Apple is doing.....
Fined, license deals does NOT equal banning.
20. tedkord (Posts: 7194; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Don't bother with logic - iFans are immune. It would also be a waste if time to point out that RIM are being sued for an actual innovation from a company that actually developed it, not for a slide to unlock idea that was stolen to begin with, or for a basic geometric shape or color.
21. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
I'm not surprise that you commented teddork
9. shamataa (Posts: 210; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
There's no way they will last another 5 months with that much fined. They are already a dead company.
10. valapsp (Posts: 495; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
WTF? Has RIM ever earned that much? Just kidding. ;)
11. roscuthiii (Posts: 1920; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Stop wiggling it around and just put that final nail in the damn coffin already. Sorry RIM, BB built you an empire but you let it fall into disrepair. Just a reminder that no matter how great the empire, shortsightedness and inflexibility lead to collapse. Have to keep pushing forward, not just sit tight and defend what you've got.
13. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4170; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Poor RIM, just taking hit after hit...
16. Ohrules (Posts: 326; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
it's about time that they changed the name to RIP
17. jroc74 (Posts: 5380; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Didnt know this was even going on. Makes you wonder what other old lawsuits will come out for other companies...
And I wonder who else they sued. Google is getting sued for Chrome by some company that I think successfully sued Apple for Safari...
18. Birds (Posts: 1139; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Oh, they're dead...sorry nothing they can do....I had faith but not anymore....I'll go to their funeral...