RIM, Windows Phone, Android take the back seat as iPhone surges to market glory
0. phoneArena 21 Feb 2012, 09:02 posted on
Statistics are a tricky business as it’s always hard to be perfectly accurate measuring mobile platforms’ market shares, but latest data from Kantar Worldpanel confirm…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
34. SuperEd (Posts: 122; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Still holding out for my WP8! Everyone has an iWhatever now as well as Andiord, something-or-other. I just like to have something unique that not many others have.
35. henrickrw (Posts: 408; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
It´s a matter of time..... Androis will smash IOS
37. -box- (Posts: 3978; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Keep in mind this is based on percentages of sales, not total ownership. Overall number of smartphones in the US have increased tremendously on an upward climb year over year (mostly because there are sadly few non-smartphones being released and improved, and all the marketing and "fun" stuff is on smartphones). So while Blackberry and WindowsPhone's percentages may have dropped, their sales may be consistent (likely in WP's case, less likely in BB's). So of course more iphones are being sold this January versus last January, because there's a new iphone for 4 carriers, versus a 7-month old one on AT&T and a brand new one about to be launched for for Verizon.
Basically what this article is saying is "Smartphones are being sold. People buy well-established brands, and niche brands continue to be bought by niche buyers", just as is it with just about any market, be it cars, computers, food, etc
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
not surprise by the excuses of the fandroid community... it must be hard to for them to be beaten by a iphone which is ___________ ( insert your thought on the iphone) at the end of the day it only makes Android look like second best...
44. Sniggly (Posts: 7291; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Why do you insist on saying such stupidly arrogant things?
57. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
tell that to the rest of the world....if you're trying to logically conclude that based on a majority opinion fandroids are silly for being "second best" you are simply contradicting yourself
being beaten in America isnt hard to do....Americans like what they're told to like.
so from a worldview it much be hard to be beaten by an android which is ________ (insert your thought on android).
i challenge you to factually mention one thing the Iphone can do better than an Android
62. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
create such a buzz that people will miss work, school, some don't eat to be the 1st one to get the iphone.. just watch what the iphone 5 will do... mention an Android device that can do this
i pass the challenge
69. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
and i reiterate the rest of the world...
American ignorance for a device doesnt make it good....facts make a device good. someone wants to miss school (Americans are almost last in education if not last) isnt a good point to make...
so in majority opinion there are more people that have android phones worldwide than America.
you also havent met my challenge of what your Iphone can do that my android cant :)
77. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I did answer your question. if you wanted an specific answer .. then next time ask the right way.. that's how we Americans think... is not our fault you cant ask a question the right way...
81. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
the iphone....as in the specific device functionality of it....not what idiots do when or close to its release date
i wasnt expecting a cop out and a smart ass answer...wait yes i was, but should have known better
63. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
different strokes for different folks is what I always say. To each his own.
68. jacko1977 (Posts: 428; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
only coz they brake when dropped and have to buy a new one
45. chaosnightmare (Posts: 70; Member since: 20 May 2010)
High sales doesn't mean which device is best, android will never be beaten by such closed OS, android has obviously a lot of features over iOS and a lot of different devices so you can choise wich one fits you more, its all about marketing and people' ignorance about mobile platform, i will not cry because millions of people in the US think they have more features than anyone else in their iPhones while all they really do is download tons of useless free apps.
48. greathero1 (Posts: 549; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Sniggly posted this to an Apple guy now I am going to turn it around and use it on an Android guy. "Why do you insist on saying such stupidly arrogant things?"
58. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
i give you the same challenge that i gave gallitoking
name one thing factually that the Iphone can do that android cant do better
71. iBeliever (banned) (Posts: 33; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Open and app without lagging or force closing.
Better app store
Gets timely updates
Supported for over 2 years
84. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
IOS crashes more than Android...this is fact. Lagging? you have a lessor dual core processor, you are talking out of your ass...
"photo streaming" i fail to see how this is better (nor did you specify anything that MAKES it better)
"better app store" you just keep paying .99 cents for your apps while the exact same ones are free for me...nice try tho (again define better...because it has more apps? that doesnt make it "better")
"timely updates" apples and oranges...which phone...which carrier. You have one phone whereas Android has several. so to say "timely updates" is extremely vague. I got my update on my rezound in an extremely timely fashion...moot point im afraid
"supported for over two years" the original droid was released on nov of 2009...so im pretty sure that they have also supported their product for over two years...what point were you trying to make exactly?
64. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
brand recognition.. the green Android doesn't have the power that the Apple logo creates
70. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
in america yes you are correct...
show me that green android worldwide ;)
76. gallitoking (Posts: 4704; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you didnt specify... I did answer your question... there...
60. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Stats are always subjective which is why numbers verified by at least 3 different sources saying similar things makes sense. It doesnt matter if its phones, education, etc. Never trust stats solely from one source only. However, on another note I think WP7 still will turn up the juice but they have yet to have a strong prescence in the US yet. By the end of the year, I think the numbers might be different and most likely at the expense of RIM though they may have a chance if BB10 comes out this year on time and perfect. Hey I can see a four way race if things play out right.
65. tbacba (Posts: 71; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Statistics are indeed tricky, and PA's statement is somewhat misleading. This was a one month snapshot. iOS does have 48.5% of the market but only for the month of December, when the new IPhone was rolling out. For the year as a whole, they continue to be trail Android. Sorry folks, no startling revelations about an IOS resurgence.
66. iBeliever (banned) (Posts: 33; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Haha fandroids heads are exploding with hatred right now. The only thing they had to cling on to is gone.
94. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
what fact, that there were more iphones sold in a month in one country?
67. TimTebow (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
This probably includes tablets does it not?
If so, who cares.
83. iBeliever (banned) (Posts: 33; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
If it included tablets Apple would be ahead about 70% to androids measly 20% or so.
95. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
didn't read the headline? it says iphones.
89. gkquiambao (Posts: 62; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
Overall, Android is still #1. That's a fact!
96. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
Misleading headline: "RIM, Windows Phone, Android take the back seat as iPhone surges to market glory".
1. Which market? US market is not the only market in the world.
2. RIM - is a manufacturer
3. iPhone - is a phone SERIES.
4. Windows phone and Android - are OSs.