RIM, Windows Phone, Android take the back seat as iPhone surges to market glory
0. phoneArena 21 Feb 2012, 09:02 posted on
Statistics are a tricky business as it’s always hard to be perfectly accurate measuring mobile platforms’ market shares, but latest data from Kantar Worldpanel confirm…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
10...9...8..7... here comes all the haters
6. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
i dont see then, anyway good for apple they are on top of the US market, this is there home land after all but android is # 1 world wide
4. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
No.. US is just the leader of the free world!
16. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Nope. Sorry buddy. The US lost this position a LONG time ago.
31. isheeparena (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
you were THE REAL hatter to think that US is the leader of the free world.....
32. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
You must be from France my friend.... If not US then who?
Sorry if I come off as arrogant but my blood runs Red White and Blue!
41. isheeparena (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
I'm not from france.
1. Apple (US) failed to show the foxcon worker the wonder of U.S. labor system.
2. how about Iraq??? did U.S show what happened to Iraq as the free leader example???
3. How about China?? U.S is more the bad guy than the good guy. U.S seems more like a bully than the free leader in China - U.S relation.
4. SOPA. If US start cencoring the web, then it would make Iran, Iraq, Saudi, etc have the reason to do their own kind of cencorship. Then it would be a dark ages for people who live there as they would never find out the truth.... so, US as the leader of free world.... no way....!! (on the great news, SOPA fail).
and many more....
42. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I'm from Israel fyi. And your Red White and Blue in the meantime aren't doing much in order to keep some asshole in Iran who denies the holocaust, and has wet dreams about destroying our country - from obtaining nuclear weapons and doing just that.
Normally I wouldn't care. But you see, this asshole has built himself nuclear reactor by now. Now tell me Mr. All Mighty America - when will you do to Iran what you did to Iraq and Afghanistan? Because neither of those had nuclear energy at the time, iirc.
59. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
why are you so scared have you forgotten were you come from
88. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Because there is an enemy country very close to us with nuclear capability, and a mad dictator who dreams to destroy us? Oh yeah - that gotta be it.
90. Eingild (Posts: 203; Member since: 19 Apr 2011)
No. Your blood runs green because you're ***.
51. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Nice dream but it's time to wake up! =]
5. bragzter (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
There isn't enough Windows Phone devices available. The Nokia Lumias are nice, but not ebough. Also I believe Nokia could have made an impact in the states and worldwide with the N9, but instead they decided to go with Windows Phone. I think they may be regretting that decision right now
13. snowgator (Posts: 3596; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
No, they are not regretting it. Again, please remember this was an ecosystem decision. Windows Phones provided Nokia with a finished product at near no cost to their own back pocket. They can turn a better profit per handset on WP than they ever could on Symbian and Meego just due to not having to devlop the software side of it.
That being said, Meego was a GREAT looking OS, and I would have loved to have seen Nokia try to treat it as Samsung has with Bada: Develop it in a few markets, and allow it to grow slowly. Or, allow one line of Symbian phones to survive for those fans of that platform. I do not think it is too late to change course on Symbian. Will be interesting to see what will happen after MWC with the Nokia with the new version of Symbian on it.
7. darvisha (Posts: 6; Member since: 13 Dec 2010)
I am waiting for Nokia to push the Windows Phone despite the fact that Microsoft with its policy to penetrate the market ruined its platform and marketshare itself. Whwn there are rumors that windows phone 8 will come later this year a wise person will not buy a wp7 phone and will wait for next generation cause it takes 2 year contract here in US until you can get a carrier discounted phone. I am so tired of android freezing and so mad with apple's game playing which I will switch to Nokia Lumia 900 as soon as it will be available but I really want a phone with SD support which I can put my music or clips on. I do believe adding cores to that cpu is important as well thogh WP7 is smooth and fast at the time being, to handle more complicated applications they need multi core processing. I am sure Microsoft is hard at work but their marketing is so weak.
8. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I'd like to see WP as the third competitor, but it doesn't look like they're doing so hot. Hopefully wp8 and the next line of nokias can find a foothold in the market. Btw R.I.P. R.I.M.
12. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
the stats for wp7 are off.. it really should start now since wp7 and winmo have been divided… i think wp7 will increase with time--nothing else really has a true chance of increasing besides for it
9. tward291 (Posts: 559; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
windows is my next ship that is if tmobile gets a nice 4.3 screen with sd card support
10. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wow, that was a pretty substantial increase. They got a lot of that RIM business that..well.. ran away from RIM.. lol.
The Windows bit was covered in a previous PA article though. Last years numbers included WP7 and Win6.5 sales, this year its ONLY WP7, and thus was actually an increase in market (if you broke out the WP7 sales alone from last year).
11. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
oh man, when this insanity will stop.. -.-
good thing that we're in february now..i expect android is selling better than rotten apple in the US again.. and by june it will look like this:
android:iOS - 55:20
15. bbblader (Posts: 590; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
before the next iphone there will be a new SGIII and it will kick iphone's f**king ass more than bruce lee can
20. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
in america, android and iOS bounce back n forth depending on whats going on. there hasnt been a major stateside phone release since the nexus on just VZW. The last "big" release was the SGS2 way back in october. The i4s, like all apple phones works on a hockey stick. It spikes way up, then slides down every month until the next release. Android's sales are a more consistent uphill graph, which is why they bounce back n forth. By Q3, Android will have a big lead again, and then in Q4, apple will have a big bounce..
But yes, worldwide, android has nearly double the marketshare that apple does.
26. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
yes but Apple does it with one phone and Android.. well I lost count...
28. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Actually, Apple does it with *three* phones. And a s**t ton of marketing and product placement. And that marketing places Apple products as a status symbol, whereas Android phones are not.