Qualcomm unveils powerful Snapdragon 810 and 808 chipsets, that answer Apple's 64-bit push
0. phoneArena 07 Apr 2014, 07:36 posted on
Californian chip giant Qualcomm, whose silicon is in most mobile devices these days, just lifted the veil over its next-generation chipsets - the Snapdragon 808 and Snapdragon 810. The dust has hardly settled on the 801, which is in phones like the Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z2, and the 805, which will land in devices in the summer, and we are now learning what our phones and tablets will be capable in H1 of next year...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Anshulonweb (Posts: 430; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
wow.....can't wait for this to come inside note 4 and xperia z3...
5. nokia12 (Posts: 493; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
20nm is awesome !!!
But they seem like they are getting slower in GPU department .. Adreno 430 seems like they wont be able to beat even Tegra K1 which is due in 4-5 months
Comparing Gfx benchmark scores of tegra K1 with approx calculation of Adreno GPU
Tegra K1 - 62 FPs compared to
Adreno 330 - 28 FPs
Adreno 420 - 50 % faster than 330 - 42 Fps
Adreno 430 - 30 % faster than 420 - 54.6 FPS
CPU wise they should be fine..
9. nokia12 (Posts: 493; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
that's likely a typo by phonearena or qualcomm .. adreno 430 cannot be less powerful than adreno 420.
so Adreno 430 is 30 % faster than Adreno 420 only
11. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
you please re-read the article,
adreno 420 is 20% faster adreno 330
adreno 430 is 30% faster adreno 420.
14. tech2 (Posts: 3466; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yes. Phonearena's phrasing is very confusing. I had to read the press release to clarify that.
19. nokia12 (Posts: 493; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
@jeeta44 Qualcomm says Adreno 420 is 40 % faster than Adreno 330
but i included 50 % as they later increase the clock speeds just like they did with Adreno 330
12. MrPhilo (Posts: 49; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
You really think Adreno '430' is going to be slower than '420'.
24. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
"Snapdragon 808 will come with Adreno 418, which is 20% faster than Adreno 330, while 810 will be crushing it with Adreno 430, which is 30% faster, but from the GPU in Snapdragon 805, which is Adreno 420. The new 810 silicon supports 4K Ultra HD interface and video resolution."
its clear adreno 430 is 30% faster than adreno 420..
& adreno 418 is 20% faster than adreno 330...
418 & 420 most likely equal in performance.
38. grahaman27 (Posts: 361; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Ive come from reality over at anandtech:
"Note that the Adreno 420 itself is something like 40% faster than Adreno 330, which would make Adreno 430 over 80% faster than the Adreno 330 we have in Snapdragon 800/801 today."
58. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
80% faster than 330 will be a massive upgrade.....ultimate graphics...!!
while 330 is already a beast itself...
63. nokia12 (Posts: 493; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
nah 80 % is not massive at all ..
in a similar situation
The upgrade from Adreno 225 to Adreno 330 was 367 % ..
they have slowed down a lot ..
i can easily bet Mali and Power Vr will easily be able to beat them up.. considering this chip still has 1 whole year time left to come to market
50. shuaibhere (Posts: 1986; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah that is what I was thinking...but why they are releasing all this details now??? To let competitors (say apple) know about what they're going to make??? And let them make better ones...
52. grahaman27 (Posts: 361; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Its only a year ahead at most. Companies like nvidia and Intel are known for making their 3-5 year roadmap public.
75. Androiders (Posts: 7; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Snapdragon 810 has 8-core processor LDDR4 64bit and LTE Cat 6 300Mbps Connection.. than Tegra K1
7. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Can we all say the Samsung Galaxy Note 4...
Water/Dust proof with the new 5.9 inch 4K Ultra HD screen, Snapdragon 810 64bit with Adreno 430 with 4GB of RAM, & 16 to 20MP OIS camera...
WOW talk about a BEAST of a powerful phone...
60. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
You better need this for that kind of specs lol
20. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Nah this is probably 2015 stuff. But still +1 for getting me excited for a while.
21. AstronautJones (Posts: 303; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Says 810 in 2015.
Note 4 will be too early for that...
25. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
he SD 810 won't be out until the first half of 2015 so don't think the note 4 will have that Probably S6 and Note 5. Other than the water proofing and OIS seems useless to have the the QHD screen let alone 4K on the phone and the 4GB Even for graphic Intensive mobile games!
32. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
They said that about the Snapdragon 800 series & then the HTC Butterfly had it. So let's be patient & see how this materializes.
54. Commentator (Posts: 3705; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Even if it means delaying its release until next year, I'd love to see this in the Nexus 6.
62. geordie8t1 (unregistered)
I think by 2015 when this chip is out the note 5 will be the device to have this tech in, and would be SD810 64bit, A430, 4gb ram, 6.0" 2k bezel less display with some flexible tech to achieve resistance to dropping, camera will be something like 21mp isocell OIS camera with 2 and 4k recording along with 5mp front facing camera, ip68 certified to a depth of 3m, built in fingerprint reader, along with 64gb storage as standard, along with the new usb 3.1, bluetooth4+ advanced lte dual download boosting tech and so on :-)
74. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
4K on a phone? Really? 4 times as many pixels as the current Full HD phones, that will mean huge regression on GPU performance. You guys are lunatics even most high end gaming PCs have "only" Full HD displays.
79. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'm seriously surprised they didn't make their own architecture in the 810. I was looking forward of the successor to Krait.
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
here comes the Dragon roaring. but i'm a bit disappointed that it is octa core useless sh*t.
23. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 903; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Me too, they should've develop their own CPU design.