Qualcomm: both Galaxy S5 and Xperia Z2 are powered by a Snapdragon 801, but here's the difference
0. phoneArena 03 Mar 2014, 04:57 posted on
Qualcomm took some time to explain its new categorization, and it turns out that both the MSM8974-AB and MSM8974-AC processors, that are in the Z2 and S5, respectively, are now comprising a new, Snapdragon 801 category. Snapdragon 800, as you can find it in the LG G2 or Xperia Z1, stays designated as simply MSM8974...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. TheNeighbor (Posts: 120; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Hehe, one has a less efficient battery management. That a big difference. Fancy charging 3 times a day?
2. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
But still Xperia Z2 is better than Galaxy S5 in every aspect
4. TheNeighbor (Posts: 120; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Matter of what you really want. I particularly don't want battery stamina compromised.
S5 had better screen ambient control, better & faster camera focus, instant HDR camera, very good battery management & removable.
I'll never get an Xperia that would make you charge before noon and late afternoon so you can get through the night. I guess you sport carrying a Sony power bank everyday.
This is the greatest injustice to having a thin device, yet you are forced to carry all those accessories to keep the power afloat till you get home.
21. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Better camera??? i don't think so samsung Only claims that ISOCELL camera is about 30% better than Conventional BSI sensor and If i'm not mistaken Sony also claims that their Exmore RS is superior than Conventional BSI sensor.
we need to some real life and fair comparison to find out wich one better Sony Exmore RS or Samsung ISOCELL.
But on paper Z2 camera is superior than S5 camera
bigger sensor 1/2.3" vs 1/2.6".
faster lens F2.0 vs F2.2.
better image stabilization thanks to SteadyShot.
And HDR is not something new.
My Z1 Compact can survive up to 3 days of "normal" use without any problem, and no matter how good the S5 battery life is you will need to charge your phone or your extra battery to make sure your phone can survive another day.
39. tech2 (Posts: 2732; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
GSMarena's battery life test show that Z1 Compact and S4 have about the same battery life:
By your figures, GS4 would last about 3 days of 'normal' usage for you. In addition to that GS5's battery is improved in the following way:
1. 200mah more
2. Ultra Power Saving mode which is claimed to provide 24 hours life at 10% on standby.
3. This new tech:http://www.phonearena.com/news
With those facts, I really doubt Sony can trump its battery in comparison with Z1 (which had poor battery life) with only 200 mah more and increase of 0.2 inch.
63. TheLoyalist (Posts: 21; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Well Mr-know-everything. My Z1 Compact with a 2300mah battery lasts around 2 days or approx 35-45 hours with normal use. That translates to between 6-8 hours of on-screen time. Not too shabby for a phone made by Sony, ey?
69. Federated (Posts: 255; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
My Sony Xperia Z1s can last for 2 days with heavy use. 3 days of normal use. I never activate Stamina mode ever.
76. Doakie (Posts: 1422; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I never thought I'd see the day that Sony Android Fanboys actually existed.....
78. Fluxman (Posts: 51; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Doesn't seem like you have ever had an Xperia, at least not of the Z series...
88. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
On my Z1 I don't use my BATTERY STAMINA think it doesn't do anything. if u really want to save battery life turn off your traffic data and my only lasted me all till down too only 60-70% of battery life from watching videos or browsing a few on a few website.
9. istitch (Posts: 174; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
As a Sony fan, i wouldn't go that far..
Samsung does have a better optimization for battery history
Samsung does have a better software for camera
Though the fingerprint scanner in the s5 doesnt work like a charm, it is still in a way an edge over the Z2
Other than that, the Z2 pretty much equates to the S5, if not better.
26. pwnarena (Posts: 1007; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
i'm not really sure about that. try photographyblog.com. they say that the galaxy s4's camera already suffers noise at relatively low ISOs. i don't really understand why the samples that come out are not in sony's favor when it comes to noise.
14. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Lol, clearly not, the CPU/GPU is a major component and there the S5 craps on the Z2.
18. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
S5?? Oops thats S4
No wait...ummmm confusion confusion
41. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
What happened to all the comments about 3GB RAM is a gimmick when the note 3 released?
54. hassoups (Posts: 410; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Lol everyone was all "KitKat doesn't need so much" btw do no
55. hassoups (Posts: 410; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
Not take these guys seriously. These are just nexus warriors or blind haters
58. sniper1087 (Posts: 418; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
what? same cpu, and gpu both snapdragon 801.
3. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's just a slight difference of the processor speed between the Xperia Z2 and the Galaxy S5, that means you won't regret of getting either these two phones, both are just amazingly fast. But there's only one thing remaining, and it's the price. I hope that the Z2 won't be more expensive than the S5.
17. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
The memory interface is different to, the AC comes with eMMC 5.0 Interface, while the AB comes with the same old one as previous chips, that can make quite a difference in speeds that it reads and writes to mem.
48. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
With a eMMC 5.0 Interface, MIMO WiFi, HR Monitor etc... It's more 2014 than anything this year, thanks for trying though!
35. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
eMMC5.0 interface as supposed to the eMMC4.5 interface (the one in the Xperia Z2) means twice the Read and Write speed of the flash memory.
64. Odiin (Posts: 325; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Typical sammy fan boy, Even I like Sony I wont support Sony blindly like u do for your Samsung.
for u slight edge in clock speed makes huge difference in favor of S5, but when it comes to -1 Ram "its more 2014 then anything this year"
Height of fanboyism.
70. Federated (Posts: 255; Member since: 06 Mar 2010)
RAM is everything in multitasking. Z2 will blow S5 in this department no doubt.
7. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Samsung need to use the higher clock speed chipsets to keep up with their touchwiz UI.
80. almostdone (Posts: 134; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
More like the other way round. My experience with the Z1 shows the UI is so laggy with a snapdragon 800.
I find touchwiz a whole lot better and lag less.
11. kevinhope5 (Posts: 28; Member since: 06 Feb 2014)
What more do you people want from Samsung!
-improved Battery life
- Better collaboration with colors on
Less bloated Touchwiz and still has features from S4. If you get more you complain, if you get less you still complain. You can never satisfy a human being neh¡
19. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
They really improved
Touchwiz which will.lag more
Camera which is.more worse
Battery life dont knw
AMOLED hmmm same as S4
Fingerprint all gimmick
Ip67 same as s4 active
Power? RAM lacks behind 1 year
74. maherk (Posts: 1638; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
1- Touchwiz will lag, thousands of videos reviewing the S5 and I am yet to find a video were the S5 stutter. But I'll take your word for it.
2- Camera which is worse? Again, I am yet to see a review that didn't fall in love with the S5's camera, plus we all know how poor Sony is when it comes to optimizing their Camera's, even phonearena ditched it from the best cameraphones out there, but again, we'll take your word for it.
3- Amoled same as S4? Wrong, the S5 implemented the same technology as the one in the Note 3, better colors and much higher brightness, second best to the Nokia 1520. But again, we'll take your word for it.
4- Fingerprint is gimmicky, yup that might be true, but just like stereo speakers might be for others, at the end of the day I don't blast my music when am outside, there is something called earphones.
5- ip67, it is waterproof for under 1 meter and 30 minutes, but yeah it kinda sucks, those 45 million plus buyers who will get the S5 will be pissed off, they ALL won't be able to use it when they go water diving.
6- 2GB of ram, it is 1 year old, but I thought it was gimmicky when the Note 3 was FIRST shipped with it, and that KitKat optimizes your device to run on even 1GB of ram smoothly. But hell, you are the master of knowledge.
7- Battery, just like the Camera, with Sony, numbers DO lie, they are the worst in optimizing it, Z1 has almost the same battery as the 5.7" note 3 did and yet the S4 had a better life.
But again, you know the most, since it's either you're a psychic, or you managed to get an S5 like the htc one 2 kid and gave us your not so honest review about it.
24. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Ignore the haters, Samsung will silence them the same way they did last year, with success. :)
27. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Selling.more does not indicate to success
Htc one.was awarded best smartphone of 2013
36. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
in a business, selling more is a success... it doesnt matter if your product is awarded as best in the whole universe, if it doesnt sell well then its good as failure.
profitability = success.
50. UglyFrank (Posts: 735; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Awards which translate into losses and decline in market share and poor quality control, i could go on
67. tedkord (Posts: 6018; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It does indicate success. It doesn't indicate quality.
31. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Selling more doesn't indicate to success, it's just something to brag to the others for a manufacturer.
37. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
It means success for them, since Samsung get money from selling devices, not from impressing commenters on tech sites...
59. sniper1087 (Posts: 418; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
improved touchwiz? they only change the settings, but still looks crappy, IP67? cant compare to IP58, fingerprint scanner, all reviewers at pocketnow that had hands on mentioned, that for the life of them it could get to register their fingerprint, so already a failure there 200 mah is not much of an improvement, I dont want my phone black and white to last me longer
12. kevinhope5 (Posts: 28; Member since: 06 Feb 2014)
istitch i guess you already tested the fingerprint scanner....
13. iMemo (Posts: 108; Member since: 22 Feb 2014)
Dude, its not hating. We're just speaking facts.
15. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Typical Samsung, always ensure they fit best SoC they can get, lol, it's quite funny as many Sony fanboys claimed the S5 had the older S800 and the Z2 had S801AC with eMMC 5.0 Interface, only to find that the S5 had the better SoC, while the Z2 has a middle of the road, S801, without the new mem interface. :)
22. sakurorhino (Posts: 47; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Well u also know samsung cheats in Benchmarks
23. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
AnandTech addressed this and showed that all OEMs tweak CPU/GPU performance, not just Samsung, sorry, go try find another excuse.
47. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Yes, and roads are made of tar, thank you captain obvious!
30. pwnarena (Posts: 1007; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
sony was not mentioned as one of the cheaters
42. TechFreak123 (Posts: 85; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Sony was not tested (don't remember the reason).
46. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Sony's weren't tested, US Bloggers barely take them seriously.
65. Odiin (Posts: 325; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
So according to you US is the only country in this world? Without strong hold in US (Obviously its Sony's fault not considering US as a key market) Sony still in better position then HTC. Think if Sony is serious with US market.
85. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 878; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Where did I say the US is the only country in the world? You seem to be a master at misinterpretation, buddy.