Qualcomm admits error on Samsung Galaxy S4 video capture specs
0. phoneArena 27 Mar 2013, 23:22 posted on
A couple of day ago, we told you about Qualcomm's blog post saying that the Samsung Galaxy S4 could shoot video in 1080p at 60 frames per second; Samsung never mentioned this as one of the specs on the phone which would have been unusual since no smartphone in history ever offered FHD video capture at 60 frames per second...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Floorkill22 (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
No big deal. The s4 is still an amazing phone.
23. tech2 (Posts: 1916; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Why samboy ?
Just because he said S4 still has a good camera because it does not have a feature (which BTW no other phone has) in S4 (which was not even promoted by Samsung) ?
Its Qualcomm's fault not Samsung's. How does this make Samsung's camera 'not amazing' ?
26. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
whats wrong in being a fanboy of the best device in the world?? i guess thats quite natural and human behavior...
31. teerex42 (Posts: 154; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
exactly, these other people like the (yawn) icrap. They don't realize the Galaxy S2 was better than the latest icrap, let alone when the S4 comes out. There is no comparison!!!!!!
2. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Even though I almost NEVER record videos, that would have been cool bonus.
3. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Its still amazing to see how a company like qualcom can make such error.....really amazing!!!
12. oying24 (Posts: 48; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
its not qualcomm's fault.. it's all on media's exaggerated blog posts (as usual and expected) BS medias!!!
4. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Its ok, the S4 is still a beasty phone.
5. winddroid (Posts: 13; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
The new Qualcomm 600 SOC supports 1080p at 30 fps but also supports 720p at 60 fps.
7. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Anyways who the hell needs 60fps in reality when even our eyes max out at 24fps, even our eyes cannot distinguish that far, so chill
8. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
You do notice a little difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, fps seems to flow much smoother
30. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Even the movies DVD's that are sold has a frame rate of 24fps, Science says that human eye cannot distinguish any activity that happens quicker than 1/24th of a second, that means for a second 24fps is good enough.
There is not at all any difference to the human eyes, i can assure that to you
32. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
I can assure that Sangeet is wrong. Traditional films were shot at 24fps and it gives it that film look. That's as far as you are correct.
The issue here is that the number of frames humans see is variable and in times of stress can go up to 60fps or more. When super relaxed you may go as low as 10. That being said, it's important to remember that this is a very simple explanation. Our brains fill in a lot of blanks and only update every so often for new information.
Ever here someone say "It felt like slow motion"? This is because they get stressed and take in more.
And even if the thing about about the eyes not distinguishing activities that fast is somehow true (I've never heard of it) people are very sensitive to motion and will notice the lower frame rate.
9. nobelset (Posts: 268; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Bitch please I play LOL at 20 fps and never got a disadvantage because of the low frame rate, other than the occasional fps lag
13. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
30 fps = lag, play at 60 fps or higher you will change your mind I find under 40 unplayable
21. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Yeah, i'm able "withstand" it because I don't have a better GPU and kind of gotten used to it.
11. asingha94 (Posts: 288; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
Haha!!30 fps also is enough!!that is a useless feature..Better reduce the fps & make the video quality better..!
14. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
30 fps is bad, most new tvs are 120hz, same for monitors. You may not think 30 fps is bad, play a game on pc at 60 fps or higher then try to play it on an xbox 360 which runs at 30fps, the xbox 360 will feel laggy and slow.
22. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It doesn't feel laggy or slow, you just notice a pretty prominent difference. 30 fps is the best for stock stand anything, i'll wait for next gen consoles, not bothered updating my PC, too much of a hassle.
24. asingha94 (Posts: 288; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
We are not talking about game...talking about camera!!human eye hardly differentiate the 60 or 30fps...!!you can feel the difference while playing game but for the person watching monitor would be nothing different..
27. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Yeah, sorry, was wafting on about something else. That's true, but in the future 60 fps video capture from phones would be a nice addition.
25. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
playing games and recording video are two completely different things!
hollywood movies are filmed at 24 fps (except for Hobbit which was a failed experiment and had more to do with the 3D effect in the first place)
video quality is about rolling shutter, light sensitivity, interpolation, optical elements, stabilizer, image processor... and not crazy high fps. higher fps is great for slow motion.
19. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
It's only for slow motion effects that a faster frame rate comes in handy. No big deal, though, and most people are not going to bother doing such editing tricks with video from their smartphones!
10. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3949; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Oh well, it must have been 720p that was at 60 fps that the S600 was capable of.
15. Erthling (Posts: 15; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
All the new phones with the Qualcomm S600 chip shoot 720p at 60fps, not just the S4...
Heck, even the LG Optimus G from last year can too!
16. vladd100 (Posts: 56; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
samsung should've been sued for its fake marketing !!
20. baldilocks (Posts: 503; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
You should be sued for poor reading comprehension. Qualcomm is the one who made the mistake, not Samsung.
29. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Can Exynos 5410 octa record 60 fps? How much power would you need for capturing a video in 60 fps?
33. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Does the s4 record atleast 720p videos at that rate then?