Quad-core MediaTek MT6589 SoC gets benchmarked, to debut in early 2013
0. phoneArena posted on 12 Dec 2012, 02:54
Several days ago, MediaTek announced its first quad-core SoC. The MT6589, as it is called, packs four Cortex-A7 processor cores and PowerVR SGX544 graphics, which allows it to handle 720p screens, 13MP cameras, and 1080p playback. Why should you care, you ask? Well, we know that the company's chips are usually found in low-cost devices that rarely leave the Asian market, but that might change in the relatively near future...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2012, 03:04 3
Low cost Androids are better and better. I think this chip may not be able to run heavy games well, but for everything else it will have no troubles. And 720p will be enough for most people.
2. eisenbricher posted on 12 Dec 2012, 03:17 0
Keep in mind that not only Android, but it can run any OS which complies with the ARM architecture.
3. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2012, 03:48 1
You mean WP? LOL
MS must find some1 to make WP8 phones first before thinking about what chips to use.
9. eisenbricher posted on 12 Dec 2012, 09:25 0
That's why you are so...
Anyway. I mean it can run Linux, various RTOSes, can be used in STBs, media decoders, embedded apps and yes, also WP. Please don't narrow me down as WP fanboy. I am not.
And why do you hate WP so much? Did MS kill your dad?
11. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2012, 20:02 0
You r very rude dude, I say what I think and not to make you happy, got it?
14. MC1123 posted on 12 Dec 2012, 20:30 1
WP only allows one chip maker and that is qualcomm...no more no less...
thats why ST ericsson will exit mobile chips as well coz they lost their biggest client, nokia!
7. dsmboost posted on 12 Dec 2012, 08:24 1
If it is the same powervr sgx544 gpu found in the ti omap chipsets, it will run games just as smoothly. People need to understand that the cpu is not used nearly as much as the gpu for games.
13. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2012, 20:09 0
Not so sure, Android grows very fast and hardware has problems catching up, but with JB things improve hugely for sure.
5. Adithya7184 posted on 12 Dec 2012, 05:44 0
cortex A7....dear mediatek give it to some children's...they would love to play with it or may not......
12. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2012, 20:06 1
There are many people still have to use phones with much worse CPUs and don't have money for current quad core phones.
10. MC1123 posted on 12 Dec 2012, 18:41 0
i still choose mediatek over allwinner though!
but i like that both company/chip maker wants to push quad core to low end!!!
but im hopinh it to be at least A9..but hoping they could make A15!
15. Darkerm posted on 24 Jan 2013, 01:58 0
It this CPU betterthan my Xperia S Qualcomm MSM8260 Snapdragon Dual-core 1.5 GHz with Adreno 220?