Q1 2013: OK quarter for iPad, bad quarter for everyone else
Quarter-on-quarter, overall tablet sales are expected to experience a 21.8% drop, from 43.1 million to 33.8 million units. The news isn't really bad considering that these numbers still represent a 75.8% increase compared to Q1 of 2012. Interestingly, even though there will be a drop in the global demand for tablets in Q1 2013 (compared to the previous quarter), Apple's iPad series of tablet computers is still expected to enjoy a 5% sequential increase. This means that non-iPad tablets will see the biggest drops in demand - up to almost 100%, from 22.1 million units to 11.8 million units.
Check out the chart below for more detailed information regarding tablet sales.
1. cas_shekhar (Posts: 23; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Its really difficult to beat iPad in terms of quality and usefulness. Just like SGSIII in smartphone, iPad is the king of tabs.
4. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Just a matter of time...
WAIT AND SEE!!
9. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
it doesn't have a USB port, how useful is that?
10. xtplnet (Posts: 39; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Its like Ipad performance is too good as compared to android tablets and well for window 8, I will still prefer to buy full laptop rather than windows RT tablet.
11. boosook (Posts: 1039; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
That's because you don't have a nexus7. ;)
2. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Come on, Samsung..go all out and release a super specced, high quality, well designed Note tablet already
5. nikenturd (unregistered)
I hope SAMSUNG doesnt screw this one up by pricing the NOTE 8 tablet too high....
18. rex1213 (Posts: 77; Member since: 29 Jul 2011)
Yeah I hope too. But wait...the rumors suggest that Note 8 will be priced at €450. I kinda hope THAT rumor won't be for real as it is too steep of a price for a small-sized tab
7. Aeires (unregistered)
Let me know when the quarter is actually over.
8. andylancheros1 (Posts: 11; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
We need a new Note that worth the buy! Ipad is great however is too freaking xpensive, we need a new Android 5.0 to beat that one up with great price and usefullness! Go Sammy
12. boosook (Posts: 1039; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Ipad rules? Ipad is king? LOL! Did you look at the graph or you only read the article's title?
Who made the forecast? Look at the graph: from when the nexus tablets came out, there are three facts:
1) non-ipdad shipments have jumped from 5 million in Q2 to 11.5 in Q3 and then 22 in Q4, that's an exponential rise
2) instead, the ipad curve is not so good, in particular there has been no increment between Q3 and Q4
2) in Q4 there have been more non-ipad shipments than ipad shipments
So how could anyone do that prediction? I say: we'll see.
13. funnyguy (banned) (Posts: 244; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
The ipad is going to rule , specially after Samsungs decision of pricing the note 8 at 400 dollars...
14. roscuthiii (Posts: 1843; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
You can tell which articles are written by Ray just by looking at the title. Not even halfway through the quarter and he's already got an article claiming Q1 will be bad for every tablet but the iPad.
I think the Digitimes report may even prove to be accurate, but Ray is still an Apple fanboy cheerleader. Can anyone not imagine him smiling perversely as he hit 'enter' to post this?
15. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
there is not a tablet market .. there is an ipad market... welcome all challengers
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 11967; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Now that's actually a true statement. The iPad has better than 50% of that market, the rest make up the rest. iPad is the king, due to the end user experience. It takes more than specs people.
19. networkdood (Posts: 6276; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
why is that important to both of you that APPLE owns the tablet market - you both act like you get something out of it. I have the orginal ipad and the new one does look nice, but for my money the Nexus 7 is the king - when comparing cost and quality for what you pay for. The ipad has better screen quality, that is about it. Glad you like overpaying for products. APPLE has you both suckered in, and I am jealous...lol, jealous, that I did not create a company that overprices its products.