Problems with Android 4.1.2 update to Motorola DROID RAZR and Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX
0. phoneArena 22 Mar 2013, 23:09 posted on
Some owners of the Motorola DROID RAZR and Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX are apparently upset with their handsets after receiving the latest update to Android 4.1.2; one of our sources allowed us to listen as he spoke with Verizon about his DROID RAZR MAXX, complaining that certain features no longer work after the update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
this is their chance to opt for an alternate warranty replacement to get one of the newer RAZR models, Verizon likely has a good replacement stock for all of them by now and the handsets have lowered in importance which is proven by the recent $100 price drop with the MAXX HD. i was able to replace my original Razr for a Razr M (with a choice of color i might add) back when the Razr M first came out because i chose to complain to them about the ICS update removing the familiar GB cardock functionality from the Razr. Motorola and Verizon will take responsibility if you take the time to call them as a dumb victim with very specific problems from the update which alter the way you use your phone.
2. antmiu2 (Posts: 316; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
indeed it has been a nightmare for me.. i use my razr xt912 in a gsm/umts network and data(umts) is very poor.. i get little to no reception at all ... calls are choppy/ dropped and 3g is very slow or null :`(
3. kanagadeepan (Posts: 926; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I am using XT910_RazrMAXX_International EU.Retail 4.1.2 Leak on my Asia.Retail in India and JB rocks... No such issues during calls and I feel the internet and network connectivity is better in JB leak... In short, the JB leak is like ICS in steroids for me...
Further those DroidRazr XT912 users just need to do one factory reset using stock recovery so that those issues will be gone (as seen from some users in XDA and droidrzr forums)...
4. jroc74 (Posts: 6014; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Most of the Android updates in my experiences....dont auto wipe data and cache/factory reset when doing OTAs. Its something users for the most have always had to do manually.
Its something that usually fixes update issues like this.
5. dubbsix (Posts: 12; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
As with most updates, peeps should reboot into their recovery mode and clear phone cache. I have not experienced any issues with my RAZR HD
6. dragonstkdgirl (Posts: 144; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
My only issues on the Razr MAXX after the JB update are small app incompatibilities and DEAR HEAVENS my texts won't send half the time it's driving me NUTS.
I have tried a couple different sms apps and some texts just will show "sending" status FOREVER and some do go through regardless but some never do. Fade in to an image of me checking my texts after waiting an hour for my boyfriend to text back an answer to my question and discovering that my text never sent in the first place.
Oh, and my wi-fi connection is also annoying... In a room that I used to be able to get a solid one bar of wi-fi signal with the rare disconnect, now sometimes I don't even get the option to connect, it instead says "temporarily avoiding poor connection".
Poor connection is better than NO connection....
7. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
there's a setting you can change that let's it connect even if it is to a poor connection.
20. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced > Uncheck "Avoid poor connections"
9. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I suggest getting Chomp SMS and setting the Play Sound option on. (Located in settings -> Notifications -> Sending Message (at bottom))
I am having the same WiFi issue, and yes, apps are incompatible for me as well.
Just clear all the data, cache and stuff from the apps that aren't loading, unsintall them, and then install them from somewhere that isn't the Play Store. That should fix the issue.
13. dragonstkdgirl (Posts: 144; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
I have Handcent SMS and I turned on the vibrate on send option so now I know when it goes through.
I cleared the cache in recovery mode already the texts got a little better but the WiFi is still annoying.
14. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Yes, I agree, the WiFi issue is extremely annoying.
34. cesarc (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Same boat, text will not send with or without wifi. If i reboot, texts are pushed but than problem occurs again.
8. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I have a Razr Maxx on Jelly Bean, rooted of course!
+ Much faster
+ New lighter font looks nice
+ Multitasking is super fast
+ Animations are smooth
+ Much faster and smarter camera
+ Stock "browser" runs much better
+ Gallery app is much improved, better than QuickPic IMO
- WiFi drops all the time (only takes ~5 seconds to connect again, so not a big deal)
- Apps run very differently (some don't even work)
- Camera flash makes pictures DARKER (and it functions as a strobe light when taking a picture)
- Can't use long-press actions on the search softkey.
I have no probelems with sending text messages or making calls. I am using Chomp SMS, and I've never had two calls come in at the same time.
I haven't noticed any difference in battery life. I do have the Maxx.
10. Beholder88 (Posts: 85; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I got my update and so far everything is running ok. One complaint is the new updated clock app. They took away the "timer" feature, and also the "increasing volume" feature. I'll find another one once I can find something that gives me a full-screen snooze button.
11. blade19 (Posts: 61; Member since: 29 Apr 2011)
I have the Razr Maxx, from verizon, and updated to 4.1.2. I haven't had those problems, but I noticed my battery drains faster then when ICS was on there. I did do a factory reset right after the phone was updated and turned off bluetooth and GPS. Still laying around with it though.
15. thexyle (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Mar 2013)
After having this update install my...
...battery life is worse (before I could go almost a whole day on single charge, now I have to charge phone twice a day)
...autocorrect doesn't work
...text suggestions above typing have changed for worse
...browsing the internet my webpages have seizures
...my GPS doesn't work anymore
...and several games and apps won't even load anymore.
This has ticked me off so much I'm about to switch back to iPhone.
This will definitely be my last moto device ever. They obviously only care about a quick buck than a quality device.
16. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
I have no problem with the update so far. Beside that fact that Verizon locked out Bluetooth tethering feature that I found very useful.
17. SBurrows (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I am very frustrated to discover since downloading the Jelly Bean update that I am no longer able to view/sync prior months Calendar data, business appointments, schedules! This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and a HUGE problem for my business management. I have been attempting to troubleshoot all morning talking with Tech Support for both Verizon and Motorola today. They both confirmed it is the Jelly Bean update that removed the feature to view prior months Calendar information and syncing is not functioning the same. The only way I can view my prior months calendar is to go to a computer to access my calendar via Google. Again...I repeat...UNACCEPTABLE to remove this feature for mobile phone usage for business management! This should have been disclosed prior to the release of the update and I never would have updated the software on my Motorola Razr Maxx. PLEASE PROVIDE A FIX UPDATE ASAP!
18. svtcobramust (Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
I personally hate the software update, it took off a cpl widgets i had and could not get back including weather, added more complications, but the one that bugs me the most is the photo album setup. you can't manage to put any photos together, they just pick there own album they want to go to, cant merge two folders, pictures to another folder or anything. just pics go whereever they want to.
19. Rueben (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
I no longer have the option to choose which folder my music ringtones are in... I have to go to the app that has the music... copy and paste it into a ringtones folder that didnt exist and then it would show up as a default ringtone. The speed dial no longer works... I have to use the direct dial widget that has icons that are way too small... I can no longer drive and long press "2" to get my office... now I have to look down which will take my eyes off the road. I will keep you guys posted on what else is wrong... I have already complained to motorola and verizon.
21. texcook (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I do NOT like this newest update 4.1.2. I can live with most of the problems -- EXCEPT -- the photo gallery. I specifically purchased the Droid for the photos, which I take many for emailing. My files are stuck into various folders -- none of my choosing. I can NOT down-size the photos for email purposes. With the old "My Gallery", I could resize the photos to reduce the bytes and then send them by email. Bummer.... give me my previous gallery and photo sizing capability... I don't like this new one!!!!!
22. 4evme (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
My husband and I hate hate hate the new update. (1) There is no longer an ascending alarm... the ascending alarm was perfect for while you were in meetings. We use them for taking medications at set times (necessary!) and now it's only loud! (2) the rearrangement of our photo gallery is pathetic. I don't always remember if I took the picture, if my husband sent it to me or what. I used to have albums labeled the way I wanted (i.e. recipes, granddaughter, friends, etc.) Now all I have is THEIR labels... which don't work for me. (3) our weather cities are gone. I'll try to find them somewhere else, but WHAT A PAIN! Not a happy camper!
23. nekkidrain (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
ThisNewUpdateSucks!! JustLookAtMyTypingInBrowser! ThisIsAutomaticallyTypingLikeThisWhereasItUsedToLookNormal! PlusIHaveNoWeatherAndNoPrintingCapabilities. AndVerizonWasKindEnoughToSendMeAReplacementRAZRTooThinkingItWouldCorrectThisCrap. ButNoVerizonJustRedirectsMeToMotorolaWhoOnlySaysTheyAreAwareOfTheIssues. BiteMeMoto!!!
35. kentos (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
Yeah I saw that too, managed to calm myself though and it fixed after a restart... You don't need a new phone, it'd be a software issue anyway. The most sensible post says that you should do a factory reset after an update. I haven't, but only a couple of issues...
However I can't save a text file! I must use save as every time and overwrite it... Um? Probably I just need to download another text editor but I was HAPPY with the 4.1 editor... not like the 2.x editor...
24. AdamDroid (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
Verizon messed this up. Nothing but problems with the Droid Razzr Maxx. Here are my problems:
1) Camera now has poor resolution. Previously worked ok.
2) Dropped Calls.
3) Email does not sync.
4) 4G connection does not work, usally only 3G now.
5) Battery drains faster.
6) Phone Crashes frequently.
7) Pictures and files lost. (I had a backup)
8) Most apps now hang.
9) Verizon Tech support has no solutions.
10) Does not receive all texts.
Verizon needs to fix this. I wonder if this voids my service contract. Broken Phone and they can't fix it. Boeing owed its customers when the 787 was grounded. I am only asking for whats fair. I punt on the android platform, too many problems. Verizon can stand with the customers or against us.......i am going to get an iPhone...Verizon can step up to the plate or loose lots of money when we all switch carriers.
25. blp4510 (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
I have a droid 4 with a slide out keyboard. I also got this update. Now keys like "shift" and cap lock doesn't work on the keyboard sometimes. Then on the touch screen the letters sometimes lock on caps. This never happened before the update.
26. SharpCarp (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I have a RAZR M. It was a great phone, before the upgrade.
1) WiFi went from totally solid to totally flaky. It doesn't matter re. signal strength, and the problems are intermittent but frequent. Similar problems were during Beta - and based on advice to beta testers, I changed settings to be less critical of weak signals - which helped a little. BTW, when a connection drops, it can only be recaptured by turning WiFi off, resting, and then turning WiFi back on. Maybe Verizon is trying to up 4G data use and charges.
2) When I wake the phone, random applications appear - nothing that I've been using recently. There's no explanation for how they started, or why they're sucking up cpu cycles, and potentially bandwidth. I close them out each time, but they keep coming back.
3) Google Navigate lost its ability to speak directions. Yeah, the parameters are set to give directions audibly, but it doesn't. And I can't find anything else preventing the directions from being heard.
Battery is fine. Camera is fine. Generally apps work fine. But, WiFi, stray apps, and no voice instruction from Goggle Navigate a very big deals for me.
27. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i've had none of these problems on the Razr M with the JB leak. i never even bothered fastbooting to the OTA because the leak works just fine. maybe you should get your device replaced.
28. deafspeaker (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Apr 2013)
I have the droid Razr xt912. All in all I enjoy the update. I haven't seen any real problems that prevent me from enjoying the phone. The only issue I've had since the update is what I think would be the touch sensetivity or delay maybe idk. I use my Razr to play games quite frequently and before I could tap as fast as I wanted on my screen and it would recognize and just zip through. Now If i tap rapidly it doesn't recognize that I'm even tapping. I have to stop, wait a second or 2 and then tap just 1 time. From the looks of it I can tap comfortably about once every 2 seconds and have it recognize them. If I tap any faster nothing. I've tested with other tapping activities and they all seem to be ok. Just seems to be in games.