President Obama vetoes the ban on sales of some Apple products
0. phoneArena 03 Aug 2013, 15:01 posted on
For the first time since 1987, a President has vetoed a product ban that was ordered by the ITC...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I smell a conspiracy here. How bout stop giving apple bogus patents n stop suing Android n banning Android?
23. icyrock1 (Posts: 307; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
OR, he's also sick of this patent bulls**t (see his plan on patent trolls, and yes he called them trolls) and is hoping that this veto will be the tipping point to stop all of this nonsense.
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 19480; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
+1. I think the prez has had it, and wants the kiddy stuff to stop.
33. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
As much as I'm not a fan of apple I have always been against bans of any product (unless clearly it's a danger to us) and so am glad this ban didn't go through and now I hope company's including apple are blocked in the future from trying to get any bans.. When the g nexus was banned even though it didn't effect me it vexed me especially when some of the patents these companies use shouldn't have been given at all.. Looks like things are looking up with patents being dismissed as well as bans not being allowed
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 19480; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yep I hope they create laws that allow no bans, just licensing agreements.
53. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3645; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
That's what I've been saying all along. Patents were meant to compensate the inventor, not set the mobile playing field. In my opinion, the only time a prioduct should be banned is if the infringing party is clearly in the wrong and refuses to compensate the inventor. Think of it as the death penalty for the patent system.
And again, streamline the patent system in respect to compensation. Have a few tiers, with the most important patents garnering the highest amount, and frivolous patents, like shapes and things like end of page stops, getting the least. It would eliminate all this negotiations BS that NONE of these companies can seem to agree on. If they can't act civil then take the decision out of their hands. If it works for parents and their children, it should work here as well.
71. darkkjedii (Posts: 19480; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Wow VZWuser, that's some post man. I agree with every word dude +1 man
74. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
There is no incentive on the part of the large companies that inevitably infringe patents to streamline the system. Until their feet are held to the fire (4+ years to go through trial and appeal), they have a free license to infringe the patent(s).
148. hamoon (Posts: 15; Member since: 05 Aug 2012)
Maybe they create laws that allow no bans, but only for American companies. It's obvious that it has nothing to do with laws, and it’s pure favoritism.
193. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 435; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Finally, somebody in here that's making some sense. All this patent lawsuits need to stop.
51. tedkord (Posts: 9952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
He couldn't have "had it" when Apple got the ITC to ban HTC phones? This is favorites, period. But I called it.
73. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It is totally about favorites. Barry wants Apple to bring more jobs onshore. This is payoff for bringing Mac Pro production to the U.S.
If it was about getting patent wars under control, Barry would have vetoed Apples sales ban against HTC. Notice how he only gets involved when it is a U.S. company getting stuck with a ban. When it is one U.S. company vs. another, it is hands off. Same for U.S. company vs. non-U.S. company.
Nothing like hypocrisy.
86. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
i think your president is just bought out. and wants to support his country product. since apple is the only tech company of america that is doing well.
he didnt say anything when samsung was slapped 1 billion dollars fine. nor he will in next few months when samsung will lose again.
America was built on fixings and is and will be running though fixed government.
democracy doesnt mean anything in america.
103. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I don't think APPLE is going too STOP unless they put a end too ANDROID. god forgid that won't happened. Apple is always trolling when it comes too patents/LAW SUITS. Remember how they BAN HTC ONE last year no one didn't get their HTC PHONE.
67. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Yes, rotten apple gets help from the rotten US gov...
138. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Yeah, Apple haters are allowed to cry today..
146. joey_sfb (Posts: 5258; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Actually Apple is lobbing for a ban of all Samsung Android Phone and i wonder what the US President would do then.
Remember the World is watching...
156. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
What you actually smell is the biggest sh€€₱ of them all! Did you really think that DaddyBàmma would take away his babies' iPhones or his babies' Mamma iPhone?? What it boils down to is plain and simple, it's not in HIS best interest - forget all the international trades laws that Apple violated or the intellectual property patents that were declared in violation thereof by the ITC. This only further proves that we have a president (and, I'm not capitalizing the title on purpose) whose method of executing the office of the Presidency is through personal subjectivity and iGnorance. Someone needs to iMpeach that big elephant-eared Will Smith wannabe and restore America to her glory, so that we may, once again, be they envy of the world and not the joke we've become in the 21st century. I can't wait for 2016, at least I'll have solice in knowing that he's out!!
In the end, sales ban or no sales ban, Apple will ultimately be their own undoing with those pathetic excuses for smartphones! Once the iPhone 5C or 5S (or whatever it's called) gets released with that tiny screen and those limited features, Apple will join it's rightful place in a sewerage bin and there won't be a need for ANY kind of a ban.
182. rightcue805 (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
holy Crap are you kidding me? you sound like the biggest dip SH*t you know that right? THIS COUNTRY HAS BEEN F*cked WAY BEFORE "DADDYBamma" as you called him got in to office. people like you make me sick
185. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
Oh go collect your welfare or whatever other subsidy keeps you afloat. Instead of vetoing this legitimate product ban, why doesn't your DaddyBama veto bills that earmark billions of American TAX dollars in unnecessary government spending or why doesn't he veto the many bills that cross his desk granting billions in aid to foreign governments to build THEIR infrastructure and THEIR economies!!??
188. rightcue805 (Posts: 55; Member since: 08 Jul 2013)
why dont you ask him! I work for a LIVING! i work 40+ hours a week !
191. cheetah2k (Posts: 1499; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
We all know who runs the US Government now.... and it aint Obama!
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 19480; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This is one of the reasons he's a great president, and got my vote. Well done prez, our economy doesn't need these hits. Don't ban Samsung either when apple cries foul.
5. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Not that many people are even buying these products anymore...
104. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
because the products looks the same.
38. blazee (Posts: 407; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
The keyword is import , now how does import of products from another country really help our economy when apple doesn't even store the profit in banks in this country . Also if the same kind of ban is implemented bc of an apple patent on any smart phone then they better receive the same kind of treatment. Btw I like Obama
87. roscuthiii (Posts: 2150; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
That's a very key component of all this and it looks like you're the only that even looked at it. +1
Hopefully, more people look past their partisan arguments and take note of your post.
90. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
You're just supporting him because he's black.
126. andynaija (Posts: 784; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
And YOU'RE just talking because you're ugly :)
139. MartyK (Posts: 758; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
And you supported and honor all those old dead presidents because they are white.
137. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I second on that. This is one smart move by the prez.
140. carlos5593 (Posts: 28; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
First of all he is not a great president. Second of all that ban wouldn't have impacted our economy. More like china's economy. Which is where apple's products are from.
152. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Let me know when you lose your health care and watch your employer can 3/4 of their full-time staff in favor of hiring more part-timers.
No administration has had their hands in printing more money. You must be blind or pay for all your food with an EBT card to not notice the inflation, not to mention the gas prices.
But, hey, let's go save Apple, who just happen to be one of the biggest tax evaders out there.
Take your political gloating elsewhere.
172. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Darkk, to call Obama a great president tells me you are a fool, and will believe anything the media tells you..congrats
184. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The man wipes his ass with the Constitution and he is a great president?
189. RomeoJDR (Posts: 244; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Have you read any of the stories about Apple being investigated for tax evasion? I don't think it's evasion rather just exploiting every loophole in the books, but either way a dent on Apple sales won't impact the Nation's debt. Maybe he would be better off using his time to actually address real economical issues or other national concerns rather than stepping in for his buddies.
106. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
LOOKS who's talking.
110. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
you and dark are fanbois too so don't bother saying it.
8. clevername (Posts: 1436; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
we shouldn't be looking at ban that would hurt companies and economies. We should be looking at licensing agreements and patent reform.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 19480; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly, that's my point clever. This silliness needs to stop, and I'm glad he vetoed it, and any future ones should be vetoed too. Make them sit in a room and iron out a deal.
10. scsa852k (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I wonder if Obama would've vetoed the ban if it was on Samsung products.
107. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
it's not fair for the consumer that wants too buy a product. which is B.S.
15. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 2089; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
He would if the ban was based on an Apple SEP.
45. hamoon (Posts: 15; Member since: 05 Aug 2012)
He would if the ban was against an American money maker company with the ability of lobbying!
100. tedkord (Posts: 9952; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Doubtful. But it's moot, because Apple doesn't make SEP products. When it comes to actual tech, they use the work of others. They're a design house.