Pregnant mom gets Apple iPhone jacked at gun point and gets it back
0. phoneArena 20 Oct 2012, 14:22 posted on
It could only happen in the Big Apple as 36 year old Rachael Massey, pregnant and strolling her infant daughter, find herself staring down a gun-toting punk who wants her Apple iPhone; after giving up her handset, Massey chases down the thief and gets her iPhone back...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
27. metalpoet (unregistered)
Dont mess with a woman and her precious iPhone. Brave of her but if it was android, a person would be smart enough to just call the carrier and tell them it was stolen instead of risking her life and her unborn childs life for a stupid piece of glass phone because god forbid is she cant twitter or facebook someone.
42. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
If she had left him go, he would probably get lost trying to use Apple Maps!
55. metalpoet (unregistered)
31. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
She must have loved her iPhone more than her life, or could've been her ego? ®©
36. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
all robbers are idiots.
people who like the iphone are idiots too
see the connection?
40. Nematc (Posts: 28; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
I think he is not. Because if he disappeared after return the phone , I am sure he can disappear before that.
The chance is he tested the costly phone and understand that this is a crap within 2 minutes. So he give the phone to someone and disappeared.
Am I right your-owner?
54. DonkeySauce (Posts: 194; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
Looks like she missed her chance to upgrade to a Galaxy S III.
2. techguy22 (Posts: 227; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
lol. they cant never go after my S3. still an awesome phone but its not worth steal which is good for me :D
3. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
"and before she could say iOS 6"
4. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I have a concealed carry permit. Try to jack me and it might be the last thing you do......
24. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Let's see some stories about stuff that only happens in Philly next. Start with the urine smell and then go to the statue of Rocky...a dude that don't exist. Not to mention the horrific signature sandwitch slathered in cheese wiz.
Armed robberies happen everywhere.... dumb punk kids are everywhere. Dumb broads who would chase a punk for an out of date handset are abundant...not "only in NY".
Then you encourage the "I have a gun" crowd to spew how little they value human life. Gonna shoot someone for a phone? Really? Can't defend yourself? Scared? Boo!
Shoot a 16 year old child...maybe that will make you a big man.
45. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You should smoke more pot, and see just how little sense you can make.
50. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Dude it's not the point of what was stolen. I EARN what I have, and I'll not let some punk take something from me without a fight. I work hard to have what I have, and I'll be damned if I let some punk think he can just walk up and take it.
I have a high value for human life, believe it or not, and pray I never have to use my gun for more than target practice at the shooting range. That said, you put me in a position where its my life or someone else's? Yeah, I'm going to fight for mine.
34. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Am i the only one here who carries a .45
5. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1235; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
man this is just sad...people robbing people at gun oint for a basic commodity like a phone! I mean its all the hype that surrounds a particular product which in this case is the iPhone that leads to such sad situations. I mean if only the hype was not over-exaggereated, the product not made to look larger than life and be beyond the purchasing power of most people this all wouldnt be happening.
I know in this case its not Apple's fault but the company can issue an ad or a public statement motivating people and maintaining a premium image at the same time. I think it could do the company PR some good.
By the way the lady was an idiot running after the crook. Its acts like this that promote the message thata product is to die for. Nothing materialistic is to die for...period!
Hope she's ok though...
17. Cabessius (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
I don´t think the thief was thinking about his social status with an iPhone5, probably he was considering selling it for 100$ just round the corner and then spending that money in crack.
6. imeubeu (Posts: 59; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
wit kid #2 due in december, i think that was stupid of her, no iphone is worth losing ur life or kid losing a parent, very dumb, then putting other ppl in danger
8. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Thank you, as it is its bad enough she's running but yelling and making other good samaritans risk their lives for a stupid phone that she probably had a MobileMe set up on anyway. Smh people these days are acting to idiotic over apple products its seriously pathetic.
16. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Especially when the phone can be tracked. Worst case, it can be bricked remotely. Her kid (plus the one on the way) is worth more than any stupid phone. Does she want to chance leaving her kids motherless? Sheesh.
46. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Good point. But I bet those kids are pretty f*cked anyway, lady is obviously a class 5 moron.
28. metalpoet (unregistered)
thats because of her precious iphone
9. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 885; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
In a perfect world they should have been allowed to beat the living crap out of this kid until the police arrived.
10. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
It takes a low life to rob anyone, but a pregnant woman with a kid in a stroller????? There just aren't really words for this.....smh.....
11. Topcat488 (Posts: 1394; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
LMAO. All that running and screaming, for a motha-fuking iphone3G, shm.
12. jaabubby (Posts: 38; Member since: 16 Jan 2010)
That was utterly dumb on her part. It's an iPhone. What happens if he turned around and shot her? She'd be another statistic and would not have made it as a phonearena story.
13. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
In the heat of the moment, you never know what you might do. I can't say I blame her. Just watch, she will give birth to Ethan Hunt or Jason Bourne.
14. sarb009 (Posts: 307; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
why didnt she kill that bastard in defence ??
15. ajac09 (Posts: 1481; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
if it was any other phone phone arena wouldnt even be posting the story
47. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Sad but true. I wouldn't be opposed to them reporting this, except they call her brave and praise her for her foolish selfish actions. This story should be an example of what the worst thing to do is if an ARMED ROBBER takes your dinky 3 year old phone that's maybe worth $200-$300.
18. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Look on the bright side guys at least no one was hurt during this stupidity act.
21. dreeemer (Posts: 28; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Which was dumber; chasing an armed criminal, or buying a p.o.s. phone? Hmm...
30. nwright94 (unregistered)
I wasn't aware she bought a Motorola backflip. Or Kyocera echo. Other than those 2, no phone is a POS.
53. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
there is the mother of em all, i call you it "Youphone" and nwright94 calls it "i"phone...
22. 2112jc (Posts: 3; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
Who is more stupid? The prego mom chasing an amared theif, or anyone stupid enough to piss off a prego woman in the first place?
25. MesEyes (Posts: 18; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
There are a lot of rude comments on here. I understand its a phone (the "all powerful" iphone at that) and that is why this story was put up on this site in the first place but......The mom is not an idiot, she made a stupid decision without thinking. Luckily she wasnt hurt.
26. angelesmec (unregistered)
Risky move..you can replace that phone but your life can't..
35. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
unless God gives you another life, like that girl. (serious moment)
38. TheDarkKnight (banned) (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Se should get a bravery award
48. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
No, she should get the word "lunatic" stamped on her forehead and be sterilized.
39. ryq24 (Posts: 698; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
if it was an android phone she would have let it go. but it's an iphone! that phone is way too expensive to lose!
41. ddeath (Posts: 167; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)
Jesus, what a stupid move on the pregnant mom side! It is just a phone for God's sake! One pull of the trigger, and it's goodbye. If it was my wife, I would have gave her a hell of a scolding!
43. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
What a stupid bit@h! All that for a f**king phone. I guess she love the phone more than her kid...smh
44. loli5 (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
"Screaming at people to call the cops, and alerting others to the fact that the kid had a gun, the brave mom and a number of others gave chase until one man cornered the thief near a series of tennis courts."
Brave? Are you f*cking kidding me? I realize this is iphonearena, but this idiots behavior should not be classified as anything other than foolish and dangerous. She endangered her life, her offsprings life, her sisters, and everyone in the parks lives as well. Worst case scenario the theif turns and fires wildly as he's running away, hitting and killing someone not even involved and just trying to enjoy a day in the park. All for a stupid phone.
51. slaggyb (Posts: 209; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
What's brave about that? Chasing an armed teen and coupled with the fact that you are pregnant, she's lucky she didn't get shot or something else bad happening to her..I bet that's an iphone 4s which is now 99bucks on contract.. Smh!