Poll results: Do you care about the viewing angles of your phone's display?
0. phoneArena 18 Mar 2013, 07:19 posted on
If there's ever been a tight poll we ran, this is the one. We asked you last week whether or not you care how good are the viewing angles of your phone's display, and, geez, was it a close result...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. aokde (Posts: 184; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
you see, people including me don't give a tuck about viewing angles. now stop betching about it.
5. hung2900 (Posts: 683; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
But customers always want smth they don't really need.
If viewing angle is noy a big deal, so 1080p over 720p is also useless, but do you wanna buy a flagship phone with 720p screen? And you know Xperia V except the resolution is better than XZ screen in all other areas.
22. SleepingOz (Posts: 2357; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Doesn't surprise me, coming from a sony fanboy.
I bet if the XZ had better viewing angles than the GSIV, you fanboys, would have said the exact opposite.
37. heyhi (Posts: 116; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
i care because you can have a good view of the display no matter what position you are...you dont have to tilt your phone to this way or that way to be able to see the content..for instance, when you are lying in bed reading or watching youtube.
For games when you have to tilt your phone to control the the up,down,right and left, i can have a better vision of the game.
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 1199; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Wow I'm surprised to see my comment there...well I guess viewing angles just depends on the user since majority here voted for no but yes only followed up by a very small margin
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
If there's anyone still questioning about it...i'll refer you back to my comment. Lol.
3. MartyK (Posts: 665; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
When one is buying a phone, I can't imagine anyone saying, " Yes I will take that phone, because it has a great viewing angle so others can see what I am doing on my device".
Just my opinion.
6. Retro-touch (Posts: 236; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I've never heard anyone mention viewing angles being the reason they buy any phone, most people buy phones according to their budget and will attempt to get best value for money, people who can afford high end smartphones usually buy what's marketed heavily, mostly Samsung and Apple , the rest are forgotten, very few people are interested in anything but the two big brands, its gonna be an uphill battle for Sony and HTC no matter how good their products
7. _PHug_ (Posts: 380; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Smartphone owners are so happy to settle for less if it means they can stay with the manufacturer they prefer.
This year Sony has crap display tech so everyone claims it does not matter.
Next year Sony will have a screen as good as professional screen makers and NO ONE will complain about the viewing angle being too wide.
9. jan25 (Posts: 350; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
that would be okay if the viewing angles are acceptable, but the slightest tilt on the Xperia Z changes everything.
11. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 720; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
since i missed out on the pole :( i think it's not the most important feature to have on your phone but it's occasionally usefull to have when your showing your friends something etc... i wish there was a feature to turn on and off view on an angle so when i'm on the bus people stop looking at my stuff lol :)
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Your stuff? You have zippers for that!
12. GoVinci (Posts: 15; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Why settle for less when you can have more?
17. droidspd (Posts: 15; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
When was this poll taken? Didn't see it so I guess the results are not that accurate because I'm sure many missed it. I would have voted for "Yes, good viewing angles usually indicate superior screen technology" because not all times my phone is in my hands so that I can adjust to correct angle.
18. ultimatebatman (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
I care about my screen NOT being viewed by others at angles. a phone is a personal device. Reviewers always give Sony phones negative scores because their lovely screens have bad viewing angles but for me, this is all the better. My coworker shouldn't be able to glance over at my desk and read what's on my phone's screen.
19. R-vjn (Posts: 114; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
lol... I care about viewing angles..!
not because of the superior screen tech used, well, it do matter though..but because I need good viewing angles..!
23. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
for most of the phones, the viewing angle of the screen shows how good the screen is. for example, take a look on htc one x, its viewing angles are unbelievable. the viewing angle is achieved by having such a great screen. i really don't mind actually having 720P S-LCD2 in the era where flagship phones are using FHD screen, because one x's screen is that good.
ppi isn't everything without great viewing angles, good brightness, neutral yet striking colours & saturation
24. XPERIA-KNIGHT (Posts: 2384; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)
Only perfectionist would care about such a thing.....Sony is the best regardless of your little pet peeves
26. PhoenixWright (Posts: 99; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
I don't really care about viewing angles since I'm looking at it directly.
But why don't the manufacturers just make good viewing angles anyway whether there are or aren't any people interested in it for quality's sake.
30. taikucing (unregistered)
34. imkyle (Posts: 938; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
As long as I can see the phone outside in sunlight, I am happy.
38. lyndon420 (Posts: 1448; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I only look at my screen from a 45 degree angle.
40. Eonnaydra (Posts: 181; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
HTC One is the best as the quality of the display is kept throughout the whole system, not like Xperia Z, only the contrast and vividness is good when viewing photos and videos, when back to UI it has the worse colour production ever for a flagship device of 2013.
49. pyradark (Posts: 686; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
and hundreds thousand of people who bought it doesnt even care
hahahaha. ohh wait One cant even sell hahahaha
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 8877; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I look at my phone head on, not from the side
47. Bedz81 (Posts: 41; Member since: 30 Dec 2012)
I don't but the Xperia T viewing angle is poor when i switch on the screen and look at it head on! It is like its sensor don't sense the light. Why do Sony still use TFT?
48. Taters (Posts: 2088; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It makes a big difference psychologically. You view your cell phone from a distance quite often and when you look over and see a white wash you kind of go meh. However, if you look at it and still see how nice the screen is from a weird angle, you go damn that is a nice screen. It adds to the aura and honeymoon period.
Once your phone is a year old and better phones are out then you don't care.
50. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
It's not a deal breaker but I wish the screen on the Z was better, would have been a flawless phone IMO.