Poll: What is your favorite messaging app?
0. phoneArena 10 Jul 2013, 09:19 posted on
While people may often forget that the smartphones they carry around are still telephones capable of making voice calls to others, people never forget that smartphones are communication devices. It's just that more often, the communication is done through a messaging app, of which there are quite a few that are very popular. So, we want to know: what's your favorite?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Alexa (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Oct 2008)
I thought so. Way to go Whatsapp...simplicity is the best...
6. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I love Whatsapp, but many of my friends have iPhones and Apple won't let them have it the US. :(
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3606; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Now why would that happen???
Is it related to the carriers??
11. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That doesn't make any sense. I know plenty of people who have WhatsApp on iPhones in the US
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Maybe because its not a free app on the app store
18. StreetNerd (Posts: 819; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
so they are to stingy to spend 1 dollar? :')
21. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Meh I've seen people not adding a credit card thus not being able to spend money on the app store or Google play
28. rizevnarastek (Posts: 347; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Hangouts is free and has all the options of Whatsapp as well as a desktop client :)
31. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Most people would not see the point in spending a dollar to buy an app for something that they can already do via SMS.
22. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You can get it with a jail broken iPhone or if you switch your location in the app store. But again, many people don't want to do all of that. They just rather SMS.
23. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Hey Michael! You have connections... So can you find out why they would block that particular app? I suspect because of the ability to transfer large vide oand music file. Or maybe because it would completly kill iMessage but those are just my guesses. But why would Apple block what appears to be the most popular messaging app from its customers in the US only?
37. Blazers (Posts: 420; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
They aren't blocking the app in the US. Where did you get that information?
38. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Apple isn't blocking WhatsApp in the US. I don't know where you're getting your info, but WhatsApp is available in the App Store for 99 cents.
41. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I get that message whenever I search for it in the AppStore. Its coming from iTunes. And when I asked friends to download it, they get it too. A Google search would show its in the AppStore, but when you try to download it, it give that message. So they are blocking it for some customers at least. Believe me, if I could get rid of Kik, I would.
48. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
See, have a look here ...
44. extinctz (Posts: 9; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Whatsapp works on iphone in US. They just need to download it and pay $0.99 for the app.
47. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You guy aren't hearing what I'm saying... a message pops up p and says it's not available. There is no way to download it. I've just tried it again on my iPad and nothing happens.
49. rohitkalra90 (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Whatsapp for iPad and iPod is not available on Appstore.
The app is only compatible with iPhone.
I have personally installed it on my iPhone 4 with a US iTunes account.
52. roscuthiii (Posts: 2180; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Ah... sounds like a fragmentation issue then...
54. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That doesn't explain why my friends with iPhones can not download it. And they get that same message.
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3606; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Whatsapp it is!!
I wonder what would happen if PA ever created a group there....total mayhem, i could imagine.
40. xoatomxo (Posts: 57; Member since: 26 Apr 2011)
Why is there no KakaoTalk?
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10434; Member since: 14 May 2012)
WhatsApp and iMessage definitely takes the cake.
24. buccob (Posts: 2512; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Google Talk/Hangouts have a higher % than iMessage... though Gtalk was way better in my opinion than Hangouts... and it needs to be integrated to SMS... iMessage has the upper hand here...
SMS is in the 2nd place, though I really don't understand why SMS is so Overrated in the US... in my country almost every message is driven by chat such as Whatsapp, Gtalk, iMessage, BBM...
SMS is something you use when you dont get signal for data... It is too archaic IMO
Viber is getting some tracktion but they still need to polish it. No option for sending message by hitting Enter... no way to disable sound for delivery... etc
Skype lost its way by not being an Online-all-the-time type of messaging app
Facebook msg is Meh for me... I rather only use it when I use the application itself
BBM is only going to get tracktion once its release for iOS and Android...
4. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
check out new LINE messaging app.its the coolest
5. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I've heard good things about Line, but I also heard it was mostly popular out in Japan.
9. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
And also wechat :D
10. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
no worries :)
but its cool than whatsap
26. buccob (Posts: 2512; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
In my opinion Line is not that good... I tried it and even got the Windows 8 service for my Laptop... something Viber just got and Whatsapp is missing... but messages for Line were not always right on time, and you couldn't completely delete conversations or people even after you dont have it in your contact list...
Well at least that was my experience if I recall correctly before I uninstalled...
Anyway I think that "the best" messaging app and "the most popular" are two different things, but both terms are very important... and you need to have an app with both qualities for being social
25. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1514; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
It´s also very popular in some European countries like Spain, but never near Whatsapp
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i may try out Line. thanks for the suggestion. o:
14. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I like the looks in Google talk, the amount of friends in whatsapp and the voice calls on viber.... Its so hard to choose between them
20. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I didn't necessarily forget it, but the poll list was already getting very long. I could have easily added Kik, GroupMe, and Line, but the list had to end somewhere.
33. Gawain (Posts: 418; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
Well it's owned by Skype (Microsoft) so by proxy... you kind of didn't forget it.
16. Tomfromsouth (Posts: 76; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
I have whatsapp. But must admit. BBM was just more reliable, but in general Whatsapp features probable beat it (you don't have to have pins, easy google maps sharing to name a few)
17. Doppiadi (Posts: 15; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
I bet many friends of mine don't even know they are using imessage while texting each others on iPhone.. Anyway here in Italy whatsapp is now the standard, I can see the percentage of phone numbers with whatsapp almost matching my contact list.
27. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Viber is my choice...only thing missing is collection of smileys...other than that it has everything..best all in one app..and free..
30. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
what i like using the most right now is Voxer.
39. MrKharming (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Kik is quick and reliable I use because my kids like it lol
42. Andrewtst (Posts: 608; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Where is others like WeChat, Line, Viber, Kakao ???
56. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3714; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Viber is there and Other includes all those you want..
43. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
As an android user, facebook messenger is the best for me for you can use it even if you're browsing. It's hassle-free and very user friendly app.
45. a_tumiwa (Posts: 373; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
its not the best but everyone use it, so....
50. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3714; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Whatsapp but SMS is all time best.
53. roscuthiii (Posts: 2180; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
WhatsApp... meh. Just not paying for something other people are providing for free, and in many cases, better.