PhoneArena's John Velasco talks about the geek life in an interview
For those of you following our site for some time now, you know John as one of our resident reviewers, but in this interview, he dives deeper into what it’s like living the geek life. From answering questions such as “what makes you a geek” to others like “your favorite comic book hero and why,” you’ll find some interesting answers. And of course, he dives into some of his favorite gadgets and his mobile platform of choice – the latter of which will surprise you, well, us even. Without spoiling all of the dirt, here’s a small sample of some of his responses in the interview. However, you can click the link below to jump into the entire interview.
source: Chip Chick
1. atsamman (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
John V hes a nice guy
Keep it up with ur reviews
65. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
That's soooo 2012.
MOTHER FATHER GENTLEMAN!
2. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
John is secretly a sports announcer for ESPN! Johnnnn vee lol
Keep up the great reviews bro :)
62. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6600; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
He's bias as any blogger on any site
70. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 870; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Then why do you still come here if everyone is biased?
3. mss1988 (Posts: 31; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I think all the best of him, but it would be really nice of him to speak a little slower in video reviews. Sometimes I feel like that more time passes when he speaks his name then the entire rest of the review :-)
5. downphoenix (Posts: 2359; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
he doesnt look like I imagine he would based on how he sounds,.
6. tiara6918 (Posts: 1450; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
John v, one of the best tech reviewer you know you can trust. It's great that pa is including an interview in an article, so we get to know the pa team a bit more
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8718; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Aaron Baker is probably reviewer in the industry without a doubt, but Johhhh Veee is definitely up there though.
7. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3034; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
John V is def the Aaron Baker of PhoneArena and well deserved too. Keep up the great reviews and awesome articles.
20. Whateverman (Posts: 3225; Member since: 17 May 2009)
John V, Aaron Baker, Brian Tong, and Molly Wood are my favorites. But than again, I watch em' all.
24. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
And Michael Heller as well
i think Ray S is the boss at phonearena
my favorites : Jon Rettinger, Aaron Baker, Joe levi, Anton D Nagy
41. freakatronic (Posts: 9; Member since: 20 Mar 2010)
Lisa Gade for me... I love her reviews.
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3571; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
John V. looks like Tusshar Kapoor........LOL
19. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Such a hard choice between John V from Phonearena and Daniel Rubino from WPCentral.
21. sharks (Posts: 164; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
John Vee's interview? Really?! Get off that horse, Gangnam Style!!
23. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
I'm really curious what is john v's home country ? he doesn't look like an american..
27. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
do you mean he doesn't look like an Indians (Native Americans) or he doesn't look like an white american
45. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
ohh... i think you talking about nationality. so its about his race.
but i'm sure caucasian is not american
47. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
whites are immigrants from europe
indians are native american
30. FlushGordon (unregistered)
He's either Philipino or Mexican
In Asia, the Philippines is the only country that is Spanish-influenced, hence the Spanish sounding surname
31. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
true... spanish influence here in the philippines is so great that even some of our dialects have spanish words in it...
surname Velasco is quite common also... just to corret. Filipino not Philipino...
33. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
He is malay i think.. Malay people look exactly like him
34. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nope, John V is not malay, John V's english is a lot better than those malays. And he looks more handsome than those malays.
36. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
His race not nationality, his race is malay his nationality is filipinos
51. tadaa (Posts: 251; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
Filipinos speak english with an american accent, and if he is malay he could have grown up in the US hence the accent
54. shadez10 (Posts: 403; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
So john v is a filipino?..
When i first saw his face i immediately thought he is filipino...
84. Naddy222 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
he live in america, so no wonder he can speak english with an american accent, i dont think he is filipino..filipinos have light skin and his skin a bit darker
83. Naddy222 (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
im also curious which country he come from, he really look like malay or maybe he is mixed. if u come to Malaysia, u can see so many people (malay) look exactly like him
25. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
When I first saw the headline the fisth thing that popped in my head was "Johhhhhhhhhnnnnn veeeeee from phonearena and your watching and in-depth review of ......" xD
28. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
37. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
"hey guys johnnn veeeeeeeeeeeeeeee here from phonearena right now you're watching our in-depth review of... '
66. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That's right, that's what he says!
But John that, those shirts and ties you wear, looks unsmart, atleast wear nice, crisp designer shirts, like: Ralph Lauren, D&G, CK, Prada, Christian Dior, Stephens&Brothers, YSL, or some kinda others, it looks presentable....
81. StreetNerd (Posts: 712; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
wow i thumb up TROLL :')
mehh i allways getting warnings when i comment bout his ugly shirt tie combo -_-"
67. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But Ray S never shows his face, wonder why....?
68. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
35. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
John V is the best!! Keep it up with your awesome reviews!!
71. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 514; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
His style and demeanor reminds me a little bit of the late James Kim.
76. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
He looks younger than I expected him to look or pictured him.
79. jroc74 (Posts: 5042; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
What, he's a Win Mo guy? I wonder does that means he likes WP? I started with Win Mo too.....but I jumped ship in 2010 and havent looked back.
Its funny he brings up customization with Win Mo.....because it reminds me of Android. Roms, widgets...like he mentioned...it was easy to hack Win Mo ....just edit the registry. And you had a selection of hardware to choose from just like Android.
In some ways the old Win Mo was more open than Android as far as hacking, modding....all you needed was a registry editor. I think thats why soooo many ppl left Win Mo for Android. It was familiar territory.
82. SupremeLeader (Posts: 6; Member since: 19 May 2013)
John V always shows his face in his reviews. Unlike Ray S lol