PhoneArena Reader's Awards: vote for best smartphone and tablet of 2013
0. phoneArena 11 Dec 2013, 18:49 posted on
Have you noticed how even a simple, straightforward question can be quite challenging to answer? You probably have. Here's a couple of relevant examples: what is the best smartphone of 2013? What about the year's best tablet? Giving a proper, justified answer to these questions is tricky due to the number of factors one has to consider – popularity and sales figures, price to performance ratio, design and build quality, hardware specs and software features, how innovative a given device is... and the list goes on. Alternatively, one can simply listen to their geeky inside voice and cheer for the phone or tablet they find most deserving – to follow their techy instincts, in other words. Regardless of which method you'd rather stick with, we'd love to have your input in today's two polls. Cast your votes below and let us know which you think are the best smartphone and tablet of 2013! In a few days' time, we'll follow up with a new post presenting you with the winners as chosen by our readers...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
20. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
my biased views nokia lumia 2520 and nokia lumia 1020
my personal views nokia lumia 2520 and jolla phone
my non biased views htc one - the camera and either nexus 7 nokia lumia 2520
why you ask if i ever a windoww slate i'd get an rt because they're cheaper and i already have a pc now Nokia's look sexy clean and has a few neat things here and there nexus 7 is just a good tablet overwith price and everything ipad air i've seen it break on glass in drop tests seriously -_-
the lumia 1020 i prefer as 6 inch is not my prefrence and that camera mmmm tge htc one was a masterpiece by htc but wtf were they thinking with camera
now this website's view (website = users) note 3 and nexus 7
21. davenycept (Posts: 200; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
S4 and N3 are tied for Me then iPhone 5S
23. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
The iPad mini and the gold 32gb iPhone 5s
25. TechCrazyedBoy (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Voted Nokia Lumia 1520 and Nexus 7 2013..
Because i like them!!!
iPad Air,Note 10.1 2014 and the Nexus 7 2013 are freaking close!!!
27. TechCrazyedBoy (Posts: 129; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Nokia Lumia 1520 keep rising!!!!!!!!!!
30. mikkiwildcat (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
Note 3 28% and nexus 7(2013) 31% and I voted both.
Note 3 is my phone and I luv it
32. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
1st. Moto X
2nd. Note 3
3rd. HTC One
Runner ups: iPhone 5S & Lumia 1020
1st. Nexus 7 (2013)
2nd. iPad Air
3rd. Note 10.1 (2014)
Runner ups: Xperia Tablet Z & iPad Mini (Retina)
33. Rathish (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
iPhone 5s and iPad Air both are awesome running with IOS 7.
34. Desmund (Posts: 74; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
No love for LG G2?
I was going to go for HTC One at first, but then this little beauty came about.The only couple of gripes I got for it are Camera, Battery Drain, and Update none of them are what I consider making me regret buying the phone at all though.
36. ryanballer (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
Best Smartphones of 2013
1. Motorola Moto X- It started the trend of "specs aren't everything."
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 3- Beautiful display and fast processor, a great all-around phone.
3. HTC One- Build quality on Android (although HTC Sense ruined the experience for me.
Best Tablet of 2013
1. Google Nexus 7 2013- Best value
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014- The multitasking features transfered well to tablets.
3. iPad Mini w/ Retina Display- Lightweight and thin, but IOS 7 has too much wasted space
37. alaw.14 (Posts: 227; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
I just got the lte white versions of both the note 3 and note 10.1 2014 edition and they are both are beast with their snapdragon 800,so i definitely will pick those 2. Also i went over my cousins house and they all put down their ipads and came runnin for my note 10.1 2014 edition which i barely didnt even get to get back from them.
43. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sony Xperia Z1 and the Sony Xperia Tablet Z. Now don't call me a Sony fanboy, I chose the Xperia Z1 is because to me it's the best smartphone for 2013, it has an awesome camera, premium build quality, elegant design, waterproof, and fast performance.
Same goes to the Xperia Tablet Z, the best tablet of 2013 because it has premium build quality, elegant design, water resistant, and fast performance.
45. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
1. Moto X
2. Nexus 5
3. HTC One
Honorable mentions - Xperia Z1 and iPhone 5S
1. Nexus 7
2. iPad mini 2
3. Surface 2
Honorable mentions - Lumia 2520 and LG G Pad 8.3
103. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
for some reason i forgot the Nexus 5 in my list... xD
it definitely should have been.
46. Diezparda (Posts: 837; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Finaly PA!! My own pick would be Galaxy Note 3 which offer bigger screen, more features, better specs, and so much more than any smartphone and iPad Air for better tablet experience. I own galaxy Note 10.1 (2012 edition) and Note 3, my Galaxy Note 3 show an outstanding performance, my old tablet is rarely crashing :( a not so optimized apps is oftenly force to close or it will affected my tablet performance while my friends 2nd gen iPad is still pretty good, it's not the fastest tablet but it still works pretty much fine...
47. wilsong17 (unregistered)
note 3 and the nexus 5 for the price
and google nexus 7 for tablet
53. cR203 (Posts: 199; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
Note 3 and note 10.1 (2014 edition) were the best devices this year. Samsung is above everybody else. They were many honorable mentions like the htc one and the g2 but at the of the day the note 3 is the best and note 10.1 (2014 edition) is unrivaled by any other tablet.
56. N-fanboy (Posts: 543; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I voted for the Htc One and Xperia tablet Z. The Htc one because of its awesome design, absolutely brilliant speakers, responsive ui and superb screen. And the xperia z for its sheer exellence in almost all categories. And some other phones and tablets worthy of honorable mention are the Moto X, the xperia z1, the lumia 1020, the note 3 (even though i don't likd its ui), the Nexus 7,the lumia 2520, surface pro 2.
59. Andrewtst (Posts: 608; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Best Smartphone 2013:
1st - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (the best so far after so many phones I buy / try out this year)
2nd - Google Nexus 5 (Pure smoothness and pure look)
3rd - LG G2 (alternative for people not prefer phablet and wanted customize look)
Best Tablet 2013:
1st - Sony Xperia Tablet Z (not picking Galaxy Note 10.1 as the performance is not smooth enough)
2nd - Apple iPad Air (No denied Apple tablet still solid)
3rd - Nokia Lumia 2520 (Bright future is coming for Windows Mobile)
102. stronggeek (Posts: 2; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
And I concur with your number 1 picks in both categories as this is my current setup... for now. As a matter of fact I didn't know much about the Xperia tablet until recently. I was about to pull the trigger on the sammy note 2014, but saw the lag and for the price thought nope! 3 gigs of ram and still hiccups!? Hello sony xperia tablet! It's beautiful, elegant, fast, waterproof and inexpensive (my fiancee got me a great deal through work too). Besides my note 3 does (abeit in a smaller package) what the 2014 can do anyway.
66. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3714; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Oh... There are no multiple choices. Coz most of people love more than 1 phone or there should be voting according to OSs. What say? :)
I voted 1520 and confused between Note 3, Z1 and G2. And Nexus 7 for no doubt.
70. garimuta (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
G2 totally surpirsed me by being such a great handset. OMG....getting this one goodbye two charges a day
72. Achilis (Posts: 32; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Note 3 and I pad Air.....
Note 3 is the best smartphone ever.
73. Assa7inKing (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
So there are still people who voted for iPhone ? u guys are truly i SHE*P and deserve to be...
74. skyline88 (Posts: 448; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Separate category for smartphone and phablet / smartphablet (or whatever u wanna call it).
I voted for G2 because its a bit unfair to consider Note 3 as a smartphone even though obviously Note 3 is better than G2.
75. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I thought there would be more HTC and Nokia lovers rigging the polls. I guess even they finally realize that their devices are nothing special.
76. Finest (Posts: 90; Member since: 16 Aug 2013)
The Z family by Sony anyday more reliable than others, take note the water resistance and the outstanding design
77. mishooo111 (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
1. moto x
79. Caukerzee (Posts: 36; Member since: 02 Jul 2013)
Phone: Note 3
Tablet: Note 10.1 (2014 edition)
80. HockeyDood (Posts: 72; Member since: 14 May 2010)
The Note 3 is hands down the best phone I've ever owned. This may be the first phone I actually finish my contract out on and may not upgrade straight away when it's finished.
89. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
I voted for iPhone 5S and iPad Air. I just don't think iOS has any serious competition yet (an opinion formed after using plenty of high end Android smartphones).
95. LGisgood (Posts: 833; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
LG FANS were DIVIDED Between these two LG G2 & LG Nexus 5
I voted LG G2 as The OVERALL BEST SMARTPHONE!
LG G pad for Mini tablet.
96. steedsofwar (unregistered)
LG G2 tie with Experia Z1. Then the nokia windows tablet tie with Surface Pro 2.
The G2 is amazing. This is coming from a nexus guy. iPhone is very good but never for the top spot. Too many compromises to list here.
101. 4.1.2 (Posts: 11; Member since: 30 Oct 2013)
Why are people voting for the S3? I guess being original is pointless. Innovation is just something Samsung can't comprehend that's why they where sued 640 million.... For shame samsung for shame...
104. sanyamjain75 (Posts: 14; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
I think best tablet should be xperia Z tablet
Also the playstation dualshock 3 support which makes it a all-round performance tablet
106. omaar97 (Posts: 14; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Phone: Nexus 5/Note 3 (voted for Nexus 5, still Note 3 is amazing for me)
Tablet: Nexus 7 2013
110. mehdi.moha (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
galaxy NOTE 3 , N9005 WIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that is really really #1 , you even can't compare any other phone with that !!
also tablet 10.1 2014 edition is #1
112. hulk_14 (Posts: 62; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
Lumia 1520 and Surface 2 pro. Surface 2 pro is definitely the best tablet on the market.
113. COZMAN (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Hard to believe the MOTO X is not higher on the list. much superior in so many ways compared to many on the list. Future phones will reinforce the mighty MOTOROLA BRAND is back and strong. To see the NEXUS 5 and G2 neck and neck is absurd. The N5 is not even close in quality. One of the most obvious issues is the screen on the N5. 10 years ago it would have been a good screen.
Knocking off the G2 is going to take some work.
115. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
don't forget quality isn't the only variable in choosing !
114. alifastin (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Dec 2013)
For me I will choose Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for phones and Apple Ipad Air for tablets. This two gadget is awesome. I love Android and iOS
119. COZMAN (Posts: 99; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Best phone. LG-G2. Tablet - G-PAD. Others - Samsung Note 3 and Samsung S4. Motorola Moto X is still the best value of the year. LG,MOTOROLA,SAMSUNG and GOOGLE will continue to build a larger customer base while APPLE will continue its slide into oblivion.Nexus 5 is over-rated. Washed out screen and terrible battery life make it a non-contender.Smart companies will stop making the lions share of accessories for the IPHONE. When you look at market share it makes no sense. The party is over for APPLE. Say hello to Chromebook as an easy replacement for the MAC AIR. For most it is all we need and so much less pertaining to cost. 2014 will be a real game changer with new innovators and leaders being born. APPLE gets left in the basket.