Interestingly, we announced that we're accepting your questions just two days ago, and we've already seen some very impressive interest from you (read: our inbox is full of mails)... which is a great thing that can only delight us! Initially, we thought we'll be answering only 1-2 questions per post, but if we do so, it might take forever to answer all of your inquiries, so we decided to expand the post a bit, featuring more of your questions.
If you want to ask us something about your phone/tablet, or anything mobile-related, feel free to do so at:
When can I expect a mobile version of PhoneArena?
Should I get a Wi-Fi-only or a 4G iPad?
Is it worth buying an Android tablet right now?
(and some more...)
My name is Muhannad and I wanted to ask you guys the following questions...
1) When can I expect a mobile verison of PhoneArena? The desktop version gobbles up too much of my data.
2) Can you please explain the differences between HSPA+, 4G LTE and LTE Advanced? Also, what are the speed differences?
3) Should I get a Wi-Fi only iPad? Because I don't see the need for a 3G/4G version when I have decent 3G speeds on my phone which I can use to create a Wi-Fi hotspot.
4) Is it worth buying an Android tablet right now? ICS is a great improvement over Honeycomb but I still feel like the Android Market/Play Store lacks quality apps, and a great variety of content which Apple's iPad provides (iBooks and iTunes mainly).
5) Is the extra weight very noticeable in the 'new' iPad and a turnoff when you pick it up?
6) What phones do PhoneArena staff/editors/reviewers...etc. use? If it's an Android then what ROM are they using?
7) I do realize that tablets haven't reached a stage where they can replace laptops completely but which can replace a laptop more better, an iPad or Android tablet? Having a file manager is of huge importance to me which the iPad clearly lacks.
That's all I could think of right now, it would be greatly appreciated if you answer these questions.
PhoneArena: Hi Muhannad! Here are the answers you're looking for:
1. It will come, we promise! Sooner or later... :)
2. Basically, HSPA+ is a 4G network, which is an upgrade of 3G HSPA. The thing is that they managed to enhance the tech so that it delivers 4G speeds, making it comparable to the other 4G network technologies of today. Probably the most widespread of those 4G technologies is LTE. LTE is still in the process of deployment around the world and is yet to achieve its full capacity. LTE stands for Long-Term-Evolution, which also means that the tech is designed so that it will be improved over the course of time. LTE-Advanced will be a major overhaul of LTE, and is expected to take mobile data speeds to a whole new level. Currently, LTE-Advanced is expected to be deployed sometime in 2013.
3. If you want mobile data on your iPad, getting a 4G/3G iPad will be the more convenient solution. However, if you don't mind using Mobile Hotspot with your smartphone, there's no reason why you should pay for a 4G/3G iPad. In this case it'll be better to get an iPad Wi-Fi.
4. Whether it is worth buying an Android tablet right now depends on how you plan to use it. Android tablet still lack the content ecosystem of Apple's iPad, so you won't be able to enjoy so many quality games, apps, magazines, etc. If you plan to use the tablet mainly for media consumption, an iPad will be the better option.
5. No, it's not that noticeable at all. The iPad has never been among the lightest tablets out there, so the little extra weight isn't that much of a problem now.
6. We use lots of stuff and change it often. We use mostly iPhones and some Android devices like the Galaxy Nexus. As far as tablets go, the iPad seems to be our tablet of choice, though we do have some Android ICS-running TouchPads here (this thing flies!).
7. Whether a tablet can be a substitute for a laptop depends on how you use your laptop. If you're just browsing the web and listening to music, a tablet can replace your laptop right now. However, if an open file system is of utmost importance to you, an Android tablet will be the better fit.
Which will be the dominant mobile browser?
Will the tablet eliminate the notebook?
Or all three will remain a choice for the mobile users?
Will the tablet market surpass or eliminate the notebook laptops?
It's still early to say if the tablet will eliminate the notebook. We believe that tablets will eat into desktop and laptop sales to an extent, but we can still see professionals using notebooks for their work stuff for a long time to come.
Which is the better combination: an iPhone and an Android tablet, or an Android smartphone and an iPad?
It is really cool that you are launching a new column "PhoneArena Knows Best."
I came from Europe and I used to subscribe to a Cell Phone Magazine that did that and I missed that much...not anymore!
My Question: I think I've tried most mobile OS, Linux, Android, WebOS, Symbian, Blackberry, Windows 7 and I really liked Android the most and than iOS.
I want to keep them both, like a tablet and a smartphone but not sure if I should get an iPhone and Android Tablet or Android Smartphone and iPad?
Should I upgrade now to the Galaxy Nexus or RAZR MAXX, or wait for the DROID Fighter?
As for the DROID Fighter, unfortunately, nothing is really known about this handset right now, and we aren't sure if it's indeed right around the corner, or will actually have to wait a bit longer to see it. To tell you the truth, if we're in dire need for a new smartphone, we wouldn't wait for a handset, of which we know nothing about (besides the fact that it'll be carried by Verizon).
OK, people, this was the first round of our new "PhoneArena Knows Best" column. We really hope that you found it interesting and useful! Of course, we'd appreciate it if you share your feedback in the comments below. Just tell us what you think about the whole thing - the content, the layout, its usefulness...
And, of course, should you have any questions, or there's something about your mobile life that's troubling you, feel free to drop us a line at email@example.com, because PhoneArena knows best!