PhoneArena Awards 2013: Best phablets
0. phoneArena 04 Dec 2013, 11:12 posted on
Remember when the very first Samsung Galaxy Note hit the shelves? It was ridiculed by many for its sheer size, but eventually, the handset did turn out to be a winner for its maker. In fact, it is the smartphone responsible for the advent of a new category of phones – phablets, as they are commonly being referred to. And quite a few of them saw the light of day in 2013. Most of the major smartphone manufacturers already have at least one phablet in their portfolios, with more to surely come in the foreseeable future. Having that in mind, it makes sense having a category dedicated to phablets in this year's PhoneArena Awards. Well, here it is!...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3473; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
These were pretty much the only high end phablets this year (HTC One max doesn't count since it sucks), so no surprises. But finally they included Sony!
16. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I'm suprised they didn't try to say the iPad mini is a phablet.
22. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
What do you think this is The Verge or Gizmodo?
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9722; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Knowing PA, they would have ranked it #3 and left out the ZUltra.
33. Finalflash (Posts: 2095; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I'm actually disappointed they didn't.
59. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Not a joke
I'm surprised Ray didn't do, like the other tech sites would do, if they write such an article:
Put together with this 3 devices , the rumored iPhone 5.5" incher, with rumored specs(in their imaginations), and make it win .
60. skyline88 (Posts: 377; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
and Macbook is the best paperweight back in my home
72. Ashoaib (Posts: 2713; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
PA is totally biased here... iphone 5s is the best phablet ever. Infact iphone 5 is still at the 2nd best... iphablets superiority is far too great to match... they are light years ahead even with the hardware of mid range phones.. the shear 6.5inch screen of 5s makes it the largest phablet ever made.. iphones without a shadow of a doubt is greatest in the catagory of "phablet" which it introduced back in 2011 with the great invention of iphone 4s... small screen and low specs note and z ultra are no match for iphone 5 n 5s
2. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Nothing against the Nokia and Sony phones, but I think Samsung definitely made the best one.
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9722; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Proud owner of the best phablet of 2013. :)
21. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I'm not a Samsung person by any means, but the Note 3 is definitely a beast and stylish too.
31. utg001 (Posts: 31; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Although I'm a die hard fan of WP and don't really like Android that much, but the truth is, Note 3 IS in fact the best. I get the best multitasking experience which is exactly what phablets are meant to be. Can't say much for WP8 until 8.1 rolls out.
54. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
WTF is "phablet"? What the specs are needed, to cal smth,- like this? Who sick brain invented this stupid name, to invent fictional "category"?
3. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
"Remember when the very first Samsung Galaxy Note hit the shelves? It was ridiculed by many for its sheer size, "
It was mostly ridiculed by you , the tech media experts. You were trying hard, to kill the big screen phones, but this time you didn't succeed . Most of the ppl liked it , no matter how loud and brutal you were.
When you saw that you are helpless , your revenge was to call them "phablets".
Just say "sorry" and apologize for all the BS you wrote, and the brains that you washed to hold up the progress.
You did it same with W8 and hybrid
39. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I'm just explaining has happened, really.
12. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 400; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
When was PA "loud & brutal" in ridiculing the note? Link or it didnt happen & you're just talking BS
41. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I mean all so called "tech media".
All of them used the term:
"Too small for tablet, too big for phone= fail"
24. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Yes only some apple hype tech media wrote like that !
i liked from starting itself the size of note !
it was the something i was looking for !
thanks samsung !!!
apple sites can never win!
42. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
"only some apple hype tech media "????
All the so called "tech media"
48. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I think the worst criticism came from Gizmodo. They gave the original Note no chance to succeed and just laughed it off. I will have to find the article when I get home but it was back in 2011.
70. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Should I supply links to you??? LOL. As you don't know , that I'm right?? Come on.
69. xtremesv (Posts: 251; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Actually he has a point. The Note wasn't the first phone to have been ridiculed for its screen size. Remember the Dell Streak in 2010 with its 5" display, the tech media thought it was too much. 2013 and 5 inches is the standard. I know the Streak sucked in many aspects but the media should have learned sometimes you have to break the status quo to be successful.
4. Sauce (unregistered)
Finally a list to shut up the Sony Xperia Z fanboy babies lol.
26. TMach (Posts: 416; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
And your point is what exactly? Sonyis not allowed to have fanboys but other companies are? BTW, you might want to understand that every company has its share of rabid fanboys. Me, I am catholic in my tastes and happy to have used/owned pretty much most top end phones, currently on the G2 and Z1. I do happen to think the Z1 is the best premium phone out there currently. That may change when the S5 lands or the HTC M8, maybe even the Z1 successor.
7. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3473; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Lol. I'm surprised that i---PhoneArena didn't find some reasons to count iPhone 5S as a phablet
25. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Hahaha they can put iphone in the best 'MINI' phones in the world ! :P
23. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
It's only a matter of time my friends. I'd say somewhere in the distant future Apple will push the envelope AGAIN and re-introduce the 5 inch screen to the world! And all the tech sites will marvel at the massive display, the 720 resolution and 360 degree viewing angles (Yes! You will be able to see the screen from the back!) Let's not even mention that it week be .1 mm thick, holographic projector and keyboard... AND there going to be made of black Onyx, elephant Ivory, or solid gold bricks. Oh yes my friends, that day is approaching and all Android fans will mock no more! Lol.
37. Whateverman (Posts: 3236; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Oh com'on, you must see the "Yah, Apple..." articles here all the time. Just about every Nokia has a better camera than the iPhone, yet look at who got 3rd place.
6. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Glad to see the Z Ultra getting some credit. The Not 3 definitely wins hands down, but they are all great phablets.
I am shocked that some Apple product didn't find it's way in this category here on ApplePhoneArena. ;)
9. ajac09 (Posts: 1417; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Should put on all phones over 5.5 inches just for the heck of it
10. willard12 (Posts: 1110; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Didn't Microsoft make a commercial saying "can you please move your ginormous phone." What a difference a month and a half makes.
34. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
It is basically an oversized lumia, it has no extra features like note 3. Lumia 1520 doesn´t make any use of its gigantic display like the other phablets, there is absolutely nothing special about that phone (except the camera). I have no idea why Phonearena even bothered to put the lumia in this article.
44. GeekMovement (Posts: 1898; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
The Lumia 1520 is amazing and definitely deserves a spot on the list, but I too prefer the Note 3.
46. MojoDojo (Posts: 87; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Why are you writing like the multitasking were designed specially for the Note 3? You have the same splitscreen system in the Galaxy S4. Why arent you saying that Note 3 is basically an oversized Galaxy S4 with a stylus?
I think most of the phablet buyers buy because of the screen size. Both are very good phones!
14. twens (Posts: 842; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
So in actual facts when we put screen size and the word phablet aside the samsung galaxy note 3 is easily the best smartphone in the world till the note 4 comes out.
i say this for these reasons.
1. Big bright sharp looking display
2. Above average battery life
3. Almost near perfect lag free experience both on touch wiz and nova
4. overall snappy performance
5. average speakers
6. Very good camera ( if not for the lumia 1020 and xperia z1 this phone would have easily been the best imaging mobile device of 2013
7. the only phone with 3 gb ram and USB 3.0
8. the only phone with 4k video recording
9. the only phone that can truely multitask like a pc
10. Very matured and classy design. looks like it was designed for the woorking class.
these are just a few reasons why this phone is simple the best all round performer of 2013.
35. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
8. the first phone with the ability to record in 4K was Acer Liquid S2.
5. ''average speakers'', how makes this the note 3 the best phone in 2013.
Otherwise you are correct in all other aspects.
71. Ashoaib (Posts: 2713; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
For your kind knowledge... first phone guy, Acer s2 is not even been launched in the market... how it is the first? Note 3 is the first... only thing is this acer got a chance (by chance) to announce their phone first in IFA. It doesnt mean its the first phone in the market... use common sense
56. Long1 (banned) (Posts: 399; Member since: 18 May 2013)
How could you forget the great Wacom S-pen function??? LOL
19. dorianb (Posts: 529; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
No honorable mention for the DNA? It was a 5 incher, or was that only phablet size Dec of '12.
52. dorianb (Posts: 529; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Was a 5 inch screen ONLY considered phablet size in December of the year 2012?
32. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1702; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Not quite sure the DNA was considered a phablet either. The OG Note was 5.3 so i'm guessing that's the base. The Xperia Z might be the exception here but I don't consider anything under 5.2 a phablet
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 14707; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Everyone knows the iPhone 5S is the best phablet, 5.7 in. screen, 1080p, 3 gigs of ram, smart scroll, multi window, pop up video...hmmm reminds me of another phone lol.
49. darkkjedii (Posts: 14707; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Note 3 is beast bro, plain and simple. Mos def the baddest pocketable device rite now. That can't be argued, I love my 5S but specs and overall features...note 3 rules. +1