PhoneArena Awards 2013: Best Smartphones
0. phoneArena 06 Dec 2013, 14:38 posted on
This is it, guys! It is time for the culmination in our PhoneArena Awards of 2013. We're pleased to announce the final and most exciting category in our series, and as you can probably tell already, today we'll be announcing the year's best smartphones. Before we get to it, we have to admit that picking today's winners was a pretty difficult task. That's because we got to play with a ton of smartphones over the past 12 months and we did like many of them. Only a few of this year's smartphones, however, truly stood out...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GeekMovement (Posts: 1833; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Surprised that the Note 3 is not here.. really surprised actually.
2. amats69 (Posts: 1217; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
It is already choosen as best phablet by PA..maybe PA give chance to others..lol
3. GeekMovement (Posts: 1833; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Good point, I totally forgot about that. Anyway the phones mentioned above are truly remarkable. My next wish would have been the Lumia 1520, but that was also in the phablet category. I guess my favorite phones are now no longer smartphones, but phablets lol.
25. amats69 (Posts: 1217; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Oh dude..me too..i dont like wp but the lumia 1520 got my attention....but 2013 is about to end in a couple of days..so anothers sets of flagships is coming and for sure some of them are more powerful than the 1520...so maybe ill wait and check the 2014 flagships before i buy my next phone.
76. abdane (Posts: 481; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
in my experience i tried the HTC One, GS4, G2, Z1 and the 5S
HTC One tops them all...
HTC One > G2 > Z1 > 5S > S4
82. in_core (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
Yup HTC One is "almost the best phone ever made", just let down by its camera.
I hope HTC leads in 2014, trashes Samsung as they dont like to just repeat last years phone with improved hardware only.
And obviously I hope HTC this time uses a camera that can compete with todays smartphone, not 2005's phones.
Best wishes HTC
FYI: I bought G2 3weeks back. Had the choice of HTC One and G2, ditched the One only for its camera. IF it were better would have blindly got it.
85. DKJnr (Posts: 24; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Totally agree with you save for the camera but everything else kind of makes up for the camera shortfall especially BoomSound.
What about the Lumia 925 or 1020?
115. findinghomer (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
whats your advantage on the HTC one over the G2? Im huge HTC fan its usually all i buy, but i chose the G2 over the HTC one soley on hardware specs.. i really wanted the one, but at this point in the year, 1.7 ghz 600 snapdragon is dated. but i have never used it before. i am still getting the One for my wife, ill be waiting on the next HTC release.
12. Damitel (Posts: 65; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Iphone 5s is in almost in every award that a phone receives. Phonearena pls why? Personally, I like Samsung product but for HTC one to be ignored is sad. I don't want to talk about S4 or note 3...
116. findinghomer (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
that is the exact same question i have been wondering for years. Apple has marketed the iPhone very well is my only conclusion.
49. danny_a2005 (Posts: 120; Member since: 06 Oct 2011)
Honestly I think they should do this awards thing by votes.. this site is driven by us, the users.. so we should be the ones picking our favs
51. bucky (Posts: 1685; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
This website is 95% hardcore fandroids. I'm pretty sure you would know the tesults
69. jaychildz (Posts: 110; Member since: 31 May 2013)
75. amiroomg (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Dec 2013)
really surprised is Absence HTC ONE when all majer sites like t3 elect one for best 2013..
PA PLZ check your rate,
101. Ashoaib (Posts: 2605; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I am totally not surprized that they included apple and didnt included samsung... all major website seems jealous from sam's success
4. chaosnightmare (Posts: 67; Member since: 20 May 2010)
smartphones and phablets should be in the same category since they both work as phones
42. Physicist (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
If they made smartphones and phablets into one category with 3 phones, the iPhone wouldn't make the list. That's why they didn't do it.
5. greathero1 (Posts: 527; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Nice to see the Nexus 5 on the list. Weird how the HTC One nor the S4 made the list. Both were powerhouses and I did enjoy my 5 month run with the One.
88. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Make your own site with your own awards and that's what it would be.
94. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No need to, I don't have any issues with the rankings, nor do I complain, whine, b***h and moan about everything. You loser fanboys do enough of that, I simply enjoy all 3 of my flagships. Ip5S retina mini, note 2, life is good.
93. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
g2 is a beast
note3 is a phablet
iphone is a sh.... ..... nothing
19. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Note 3 > Z1 > G2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iP5
61. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 160; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
Z1 6903 has multiband LTE (3, 7, 20 and 4), Note 3 doesn't.
65. wilsong17 (unregistered)
doesnt the note 3 has lte
what the benefit of multiband
90. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 160; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
All the high-end devices nowaday have multiband LTE. What I mean is Z1 (and Z Ultra) has LTE for USA and Europe. Note 3 has LTE but it's for either USA or Europe, not for BOTH.
Anybody know how to put my reply to be in-line with the comment I reply to? It seems I can't find the way. I using desktop PC with Mozilla Firefox.
57. pyradark (Posts: 796; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Z1 is great but let down by screen quality and too huge for 5inch phone(I know its for water proofing)
11. MrKoles (Posts: 341; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Where is Galaxy s4? Anytime over iPhone...
80. adecvat (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
It is failed, due problems, cheap plastic, bugs and etc.
84. MrKoles (Posts: 341; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Oh yes? Tell me about the bugs you experienced personally and didn´t hear from butthurted haters, please. Plastic, at least it´s more durable against everything and doesn´t look like a phone that was used since 2007 after 3 weeks.
92. adecvat (Posts: 157; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Octa-version overheating and has low battery life, games run on low (mali gpu poor optimization) and it looks like other of 50 galaxies.
97. MrKoles (Posts: 341; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
I don ´t care, I´ve got the Snapdragon one, cause I live outside USA...
110. MrKoles (Posts: 341; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Okay, I just leave you alone in the pit of misery.
111. MrKoles (Posts: 341; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Honestly you can pull it over your head with a single Gb of RAM.
13. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Only thing that belongs there is a G2. Nexus 5 is good but it is not in the top 3 phones for 2013. It is a developer phone for experienced users or for people who want lag free pure android.
127. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
lol, your last sentence shows you why it belongs - powerful processor with great resolution, lag free, smooth experience...and for the price, hard to beat it...
14. ferdeenand (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
What about Galaxy S4? Come on guys! iPhone 5s? You shouldn't take phone arena as your name!
124. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Sounds like you'd rather they be called Android Arena.
15. Jphones (Posts: 235; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
How LG get on here twice? Have never seen anybody witha G2.
So my S4 which millions have and you scored as one of the best is discarded.
The iPhone which just added a Apple sell my identity theft me please button. This equals the best?
38. chrislars (Posts: 77; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
"Have never seen anyone with a G2" Haha! I almost choked on my pizza!
52. bucky (Posts: 1685; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Lol a google user preaching about information security......now I truly have seen it all.
64. Commentator (Posts: 2640; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
"Really? Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?"
(Sorry, had to say it!)
117. findinghomer (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
thats bc the galaxy line (while is a great flagship) was marketed very very well, its a "household name" for androids. so Its automatically instilled in everyones brain by default that its the best droid on the market. Well Its not. It was back when the G3 was released, but the competition has surpassed Samsung since then. Dont be mad, its a good thing, competition means more/better opitons for the consumer.
16. mrvid (Posts: 77; Member since: 02 Oct 2008)
Had an LG2, from Verizon, didn't like. Having the buttons on the back was a pain! Sold it on eBay and got a Sammy S4 and couldn't be happier!
118. findinghomer (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
agree with the button on the back, i upgraded from the Droid DNA and really found the key placement wrong.
17. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I suggest one new category to PA.
The most EXPLODING phone!
then all three spots will be for iPhone for sure. lol
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
S4, Htc one, and s3 would be in that category too. Do your research...lol that.
24. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
they would be but,
78. Bernoulli (Posts: 2112; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
That is so true, that's why they're called samsuck yet people overtaken by gimmicks and no personal opinion buy their products, so sad but such tactics work on American people
128. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I have 5 people in my family with a Samsung phone - 3 of them were iphone users - and they are are happy to switch - any phone exploding is a rarity. At least Samsung markets to show you what the phone can do, while Apple just shows you some pretty stuff, some apps, etc. Samsung actually shows you what the iphone cannot do...and does it honestly, unlike Microsoft...
54. GeekMovement (Posts: 1833; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
True, iPhone did have some exploding issues, but Samsung did as well so I call forth a new category...
Best Electrocuting Phones.
3.rd Party Accessories