PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Product Design
0. phoneArena 06 Dec 2012, 13:44 posted on
When checking out a new gadget, one of the first things that creates an impression in a consumer's mind is the way the device looks and the way it feels when it is being used. In other words, a product's design is a pretty big deal, and companies that make phones and tablets are well aware of that fact. That is why the next category in the PhoneArena Awards of 2012 is for the best product design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
45. Insignificant (Posts: 189; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Not the Xperia NXT design. And also the GX/TX with the light-up logo...and concave curve which makes them thinner. in the hand.
51. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
but its still dominated by the screen, the light up logo is a nice extra and i agree atleast one sony phone should be up there as there designs are great.
but your point was designs are getting boring and i was just pointing out as the screen dominated the phone you wont see anything drastic
52. Insignificant (Posts: 189; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
It wasn't my point, lol.
But we will see form, functionality and class...And because, as you say, phones are just slabs with screens nowadays, the definition of drastic isn't as drastic as before, so the Xperia NXT series may qualify.
65. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the xperia nxt is a superbly designed phone no doubt. and yeah it does to a point pull away from the standard definition of a touch screen phone.
like i said sony should be up there, but those included also stray from the as you put it ''iphone like shape'' apart from the obvious
175. tasior (Posts: 101; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
xperia series managed to create very elegant looks. Now that You've mentioned it, I'm surprised it's not on top 3 list.
But I think it's not true that there is no other direction, than giant screen, and that's all. It's just the easiest way. All programs are optimized for this kind of phones, and producers stopped looking for innovation. Why not try do clamshell with two screens one for keyboard, one for program, why companies are withdrawing from qwerty keyboards and slide mechanisms. 3 years ago people would say that Samsung S3 is giant, and not comfortable to carry it around. Nowadays producers think that every top class phone must be enormous. I think, that tech world nowadays is so focused at most important stuff - to supply cell phone with functionality of computer - that it forgets about things like innovative looks, or usage for those who don't watch movies on their phones and want to carry them in their jeans pockets.
56. Nick_T (Posts: 123; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Why not? Its design is as awesome as skeletons + berserk on a 5-player map.
129. androidlikeaboss (Posts: 40; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
One x/one x+ design is more awesome...
47. tidus28 (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Feb 2012)
i think the iphone deserves to be on the list it is a really nice phone very well designed
49. CWBAlfredo (Posts: 28; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
The HTC One S is indeed a great design. I would also contend for a Sony device and the LG Optimus G deserves credit for not being as terrible as previous LG Designs. Also, what about all those Chinese manufacturers with the stylish androids?
50. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 195; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Really expected at least one Sony device to be included in this when I read the title.. I don't really think Sony get the credit they deserve.. there's no wonder the smartphone market is a two-way monopoly considering the credit any competing firms get!
119. flexile (Posts: 66; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
Can't agree more with you, Xperia NXT series are seriously one of the most appealing designs on a phone I've seen recently. I would take out iPhone 5 and put the Xperia NXT series, for real.
179. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
i was expecting to see sony Xperia P for this title too bad it didnt make it i really dont know why useful translucent strip, metallic iron clad design, curves and ergonomics are good its just that i feel sorry to sony for they deserve a spot
53. aco96 (Posts: 168; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Where is the Motorola RAZR HD?
And Sony Xperia Tablet S?
98. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you've ever held either of them have you? xD
69. Ivan6479 (Posts: 243; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Okay I will say that the iPhone 5 is a pretty good looking device and all, but to say "it is crafted with utmost attention to detail", I think not! That is truly a bias statement seeing how you guys have even posted articles on this site about reports of people receiving their devices already scratched up. I hardly think that is crafted with the utmost attention to detail. LOL Giving this iPhone second place is just a bit much in my humble opinion. :)
76. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I hear you as the design is so over-exaggerated....
75. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Wow, something that looks like an iphone 4 is in the best design top 3? Seriously....APRIL FOOL'S!!!!! right?
79. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
When one takes off their apple flavored glasses, one sees a whole new world out there....
101. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
you should look passed your bias against Apple and realize that the iPhone 5 is an extremely high quality product with lots of attention to detail. it's simply elegant and i love that they went with a matte aluminum uni-body this time around. i don't think i'd ever buy an Apple product but it's hard for me not to admire their quality designs and construction.
143. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Nope, seen it...done it...been there - unfortunately, I see iProducts everyday as I live in the same household with them. They look good, but not as good as I read here - premium? elegant? My RAZR is just as good, design-wise.....IMO.
151. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i'd say the OG Razr is nicer than the 4S and on par with the 5. i'd call any of these phones premium but i wouldn't call the Razr elegant as it has more of a masculine quality which i do really have more sensibility for. i appreciate the minor refinements done with the HD variants. Motorola devices still have the best build quality but Apple is just about right there with them and HTC will put out something every now and then like the One S that they can put up there with average work from Moto and Apple.
83. mukrenol (Posts: 90; Member since: 03 Sep 2011)
Ipad mini is better than the nexus 7? Really? And the note 2 is not good? ot to be a fan boy but those two devices I mentioned are quite innovative...
128. John.V (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 May 2011)
I own the nexus 7 and I love it, but I can't say it has a stunning design. As for the Note II, the biggest attraction is its size.
90. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
I've seen the iPhone 5, touched it, and even played with it. There is nothing new or innovative here. Same old design. I'm stumped! The lumia 920 is hands down sexy!!!
92. Edmund (Posts: 634; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
The 1S features a boring design that's been done to death by HTC.
99. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
not in any undeserving spots in lists of "best product design" awards.
112. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Performance and design are completely different.
144. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Samsung comes out with great products year and year out - starting with the Captivate - that was a nice looking phone with an almost unbreakable screen and I loved the back and how the battery was held in there.
152. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
the Captivate was certainly an exception. it was a nice phone that AT&T was lucky to have. Samsung can surprise you sometimes but typically i put them near the bottom of the list when it comes to design and quality.
185. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
their quality is top notch. The only trip they've had was the SGS3's drop quality. Dont confuse plastic for quality.
188. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
plastic is not a good quality feeling material therefore a device like a Samsung device that is made out of so much plastic does not feel like a good quality device.
100. imnotascammer (Posts: 26; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Okay.. Seriously PA? Sony didn't top this? Seriously??? I mean, come on!
106. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
where the LG Optimus G, should've been #1
109. techloverNYC (Posts: 185; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
is it just me or does everyone else find the HTC one S overratted?
111. CODHP13 (Posts: 13; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Apple iPhone 5 is on the list! Why I always see apple fans everywhere?
146. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Apple has to be on some list - well, check out Mad Magazine....
118. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
If i could choose a device from 2011, i would choose my current phone, the samsung galaxy ace. now, this phone is pure plastic but, the use is very good, the chrome border is great, front face is perfectly balanced, and this phone is one of the most resistant i have ever had, even more resistant than some feature phones. but i have to agree for the surface and infinity and the lumia, just dont like apple design or htc design (minus droid dna).
124. Shubham412302 (Posts: 293; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
when i read the topic head line names which came to my mind were lumia 920 and iphone5
i didnt thought of one s as havent seen it in real life
127. androidlikeaboss (Posts: 40; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
Why isn't the HTC One X/One X+ and the Nexus 10 included?
135. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5484; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
WTF IS the iPH5 #2? don't these idiots realize its the same damn thing just a few inchest thinner same damn icons
145. networkdood (Posts: 5262; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
People are easily fooled - weak-minded people succumb to jedi mind tricks...I doubt Jabba would buy an iphone.
136. MC1123 (Posts: 1219; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
yeah... agree with this list!!!
they all have beautiful designs...
but i still think N9 deserves all the credit!and with that elegant swipe UI! everything is perfect!
the iPhone 5 has a really nice design...but still looking quite redundant!
the iPad mini is beautiful but still looks like an oversize version of the iPod touch!
and ofcourse the microsoft surface!! love it coz its beautiful... hate it coz its overprice and with low res and low memory!
137. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
trade the HTC bland OneS for the Nexus4 and I can live with the list. the hint of hologram on the back of the nexus sets it apart from all other phones, even with its buttonless slick black appearance.
171. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
im sorry but no the nexus 4 isnt a good looking phone, the optimus g is and could be on that list
186. remixfa (Posts: 13901; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it looks 10x better in real life than it does in a photo, trust me on that. Optimus G is just a basic square slate.
189. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5471; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
design wise the Optimus G is just a square version of the N4... xD
194. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ive seen it in real life and i agree it looks much better then in pics but still not a top quality design. its a bland device IMO
i know you think opposite, thats opinions for you.
the optimus G in real life though looks and feels great. you may say its a basic square slate but it does look better ( again opinion)
138. ChiX017 (Posts: 308; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Who else looked down the list to find the Lumia 920? Cause i did and Ph did not disappoint!
139. andyPA (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
i'm ex user of Galaxy S2 and now using Note 10.1. I wont say it's bad product since i am happy with these 2, but when it come to aesthetic design it looks ugly (sorry for my harsh comment), i mean Galaxy Note 10.1 even worse for pretty expensive product it's use plastic. I'm not complain (since i'm using case to cover my GNote), It's a request i hope samsung really care about it so they will compete in this category as well.
157. MC1123 (Posts: 1219; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
well, the fact is that samsung is good on internals but designing a real product of their own. they suck!!
thats why even i really thinks samsung copy's the design of the iPhone..coz people actually think that a galaxy phone (specially s2) looks like a different kind of iPhone...but still iPhone! they dont know that its samsung!
159. andyPA (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
hahaha if people miss understand Galaxy phone with an iPhone, than it's their own fault for not looking carefully there is samsung brand not an apple icon. In my country Indonesia, there is so much iPhone replica which 100% looks same with an iPhone it even has apple logo.
I admitted iPhone 5 design looks good, even it's pretty much same with the previous generation (why would people mind about something that already good, i mean Nokia lumia 920, lumia 800 & N9 are alike but people does't mind). But the reason why people buy a galaxy phone it's not because it has same looks with an iPhone.
184. MC1123 (Posts: 1219; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
actually what mean by that is that people that will have a glace with it....
just like when people saw a N9..people might think its a lumia! but atleast they are the same, same body!
but samsung's galaxy phone really looks like an iPhone..
i prefer the design of the wave phone...
sad truth is that samsung's galaxy phone's design isnt quite appealing than its wave or other phones design