PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Product Design
0. phoneArena 06 Dec 2012, 13:44 posted on
When checking out a new gadget, one of the first things that creates an impression in a consumer's mind is the way the device looks and the way it feels when it is being used. In other words, a product's design is a pretty big deal, and companies that make phones and tablets are well aware of that fact. That is why the next category in the PhoneArena Awards of 2012 is for the best product design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
11. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 137; Member since: 03 May 2012)
exactly my thoughts
The taller iphone 4, they probably took a long ass time to come up with that
24. nwright94 (unregistered)
It does look very similar, but until you've held one you have no idea how different and better it actually feels. I thought the same thing until I got mine.
68. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As did I, now I know just how good the ip5 is. Great all around device.
5. imkyle (Posts: 938; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Thank you for putting the Infinity up :) Thinking you guys forgot about this device.
6. bloodline (Posts: 685; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Lol iPad mini, you can't really hold it with one hand how is that a good design? IPhone 5 ...with out a case your on the train to scratch and chipville. Hardly great designs
28. nwright94 (unregistered)
Had had my iPhone 5 out of a case since I bought it in September, have barely any scratches and no chips. Scratches will come on any phone with day to day use, my Samsung focus was one ugly looking device at the end of my contract with it. And you can't hold a surface or infinity with one hand, your point?
7. TylerGrunter (Posts: 757; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I´m actually surprised here. I would have chosen the same ones and pretty much in the same order. I may have put the Lumia in front of the iPhone 5, but that would be all. Those are the three phones and tablest I like the most from a desing point of view. None of my list for buying though, I buy tech in order to use it, not to show it off as fashion. And IMHO at least 5 of the 6 are overprized.
10. Fluxman (Posts: 38; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
I don't agree with the Tablet choices. I think, hands-down, the design of the Xperia Tablet S is one of the nicest out their. They ditched the cheap plastic of the original tablet S and put together one beautiful tablet.
44. Insignificant (Posts: 185; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
The Xperia Tablet S literally was forgotten by me...That is the only distinctive tablet on the android/iOS market...
13. Aeires (unregistered)
HTC One is a beautiful phone, I can see it deserving best spot.
I actually like the 4S more than the 5, seems more balanced and not stretched. I think the 820 looks better than the 920 also. Design is all preferential though, these are just my opinions.
16. p0rkguy (Posts: 675; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
Only thing I don't agree with is the iPad mini.
Everything is exactly the same as the iPad except for its size. That alone isn't enough for a design award.
It's the same thing as going from the 27" iMac to the 21.5" iMac. That shouldn't win any design awards.
22. OHaZZaR (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Aug 2011)
I slightly disagree. While I might see that it doesn't deserve such an award from the viewpoint of someone who hasn't held one before, it is truly a well crafted and good feeling device. I thought the iPad mini was a ridiculous tablet sold at a ludicrous price. I still think it's pretty expensive but it feels amazing holding it in your hand. It's unbelievable how light it feels. This make me hate see apple sacrifice the thinness and lightness for a retina display in the next gen iPad, because I absolutely love hirez screens, but I also really like the thinness.
64. p0rkguy (Posts: 675; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
Not talking about price/value here.
It's about the design, which is the same as the iPad series.
Do you think the Galaxy Note 2 deserves an award for design? The design is practically the same as the S3 but the Note 2 offers a larger screen and a stylus.
89. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Actually... I thought the Note 2 looked way better than S3...
17. myownchoice (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
Lumia 920? One year old design... iphone 5? 2 year old design..
77. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
point is that neither offered anything new....but the category is about best new design, just best design...
140. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I meant that the category is about best new design and not just best new design....
190. TechCheque (Posts: 10; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 are unfortunately the only design phones, so the HTC One should be dropped from the list. Or can you name what are the biggest design inspiration sources for Android phones or what kind of design principles they follow?
Android phones are concentrating on features, not to simplicity and ease of use, or especially physical design.
18. mas11 (Posts: 1011; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
The iPhone 5 is so boring and unoriginal not to mention how easy it is to scratch and dent
20. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
I'm not sure how the iphone5 won in this category. It basically looks the same as the 4 and 4s. Also there's flaws associated with the aluminum rim being easily dented or scratched. Oh well.
70. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Lol it won cuz they chose it dude. I mean think about, how do people when the lottery? Their number gets chosen
78. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
so, you are saying that P.A. placed a number for every phone and tablet and then threw them in a hat and picked out some numbers randomly and that is how the same old boring design of the iphone won second place?
141. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
'I mean think about, how do people when the lottery? Their number gets chosen'
You are liken this award, probably jokingly, to winning the lottery and how it is done...I was making fun of how P.A. does the process as your comment inspired me.
30. OHaZZaR (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Aug 2011)
Even with the illusion apple so cleverly led us to believe, it still looks pretty amazing. And you have to admit, the price is pretty awesome as well (for a mac) competitors like dell, lenovo, acer and HP make them with the exact screen size at the same resolution, if not worse, and more often than not for a more expensive price. Even with similar internals. It's not as cheap as custom building a computer but it is priced very competitively.
59. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I thought that. The designs are ones that you either love or hate, but the Xperias were new to phone and tablet market this year and brought designs that were unique and set them apart from everyone else.
27. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Things like these causes one to question tech sites and their take on products. Its best as a consumer to do your own research. While sometimes frustrating, its also welcoming to see their "opinions" as it a source guide to buying a product.
29. yasir-921 (Posts: 74; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Editors from Phone Arena are BIASED &IMMATURE ...!!!
37. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
your immature, stop complaining this doesn't hurt you in any way.
55. yasir-921 (Posts: 74; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Who are you kid? You dont know much than I do :)
67. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
prove it, show me how much you know then
this ''kid'' will then bring you back to reality as its evident you dont know as much as you claim
107. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
wondered mind all those red thumbers to actually add something to this but nope just gonna support the one above who calls a site you all use immature
71. darkkjedii (Posts: 8896; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
And so r u, ur making that comment cuz ur device of choice didn't win. Stop ur whining and man up. Get em chaotic lol.
87. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, that's what i was thinking. this is one of the highest quality phones i've ever felt. definitely top 5.
126. John.V (Posts: 90; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Where's the RAZR in it? Last year's model is thinner than this one. Indeed, it's one sturdy device, but I think it loses its appeal for its lack of being razor thin.
130. androidlikeaboss (Posts: 40; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
So what? As long as it feels nice and looks good,it deserves to be on the list!
131. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5470; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
xD regardless of what it's called or the brand it represents it's still a extremely sturdy device that just exudes a premium sense of quality.
142. networkdood (Posts: 5248; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, since APPLE's boring design made the top 3, I see your point. I love the design of my Droid RAZR over the iphone 4...errr...iphone 4S...I mean iphone 5....
32. nwright94 (unregistered)
Everyone complaining about the iPhone 5, if you actually own one, and take care of it, not be careless, than it doesn't get any more scratches than any other phone. This is coming from someone who actually owns it.
33. yasir-921 (Posts: 74; Member since: 02 Oct 2012)
Xperia S is a Red Dot Award winning phone for its desingn.
Phone Arena didn't vote for Xperia S, are they immature and biased?
34. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Go Transformer Infinity!!! Samsung Note 10.1 looked pretty good too... too bad it didn't make it
35. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
iPhone 5...really? Well, they are nice looking devices but honestly, does anyone feel like having the exact same design for the last three years kinda disqualifies it as "Design of the Year" contender. I could see the Nexus 4 or GS3, but when I see an iPhone 5 I just feel like I've seen this several times before. There isn't anything new or different about it other than the metal back.
But I like the PA Awards. Keep em' coming Nick! :)
39. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
i couldnt see the nexus 4 or gs3 winning in the design area
the lg optimus g could be up there though
94. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Motorola Razr Maxx looked way better than the Optimus G...
96. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
thats your opinion, mine is the optimus G looks better
125. Whateverman (Posts: 3150; Member since: 17 May 2009)
As a techie, I'm ashamed to say I've seen the Optimus G in person for the first time just last week. But I have to agree, that is a very nice looking device. +1 sir!
38. tasior (Posts: 92; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
When I look at best designs of 2012, I'm under impression that since 'IPhone like' shape became universal trend, world of cell phones (from visual angle) has become extremely boring...
40. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
not really, its the fact that now touch screens are standard and right now however you look at it there isnt too much room for over the top difference in design (especially the front of the device) as the screen dominates the design
all phones will kinda look like slabs in one way or the other.