PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Product Design
0. phoneArena posted on 06 Dec 2012, 13:44
When checking out a new gadget, one of the first things that creates an impression in a consumer's mind is the way the device looks and the way it feels when it is being used. In other words, a product's design is a pretty big deal, and companies that make phones and tablets are well aware of that fact. That is why the next category in the PhoneArena Awards of 2012 is for the best product design...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
41. bobfreking55 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:47 11 25
HTC Windows Phone 8X for design really. Nokia's getting quite redundant.
46. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:52 12 4
nokia are getting redundant, the design is solid
but id say HTC 8s for design
60. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 06 Dec 2012, 15:30 13 3
im wit you on this one, the 8s is slimmer and a bit more attractive than the bulky nokia........not hating people just giving my opinion
191. TechCheque posted on 08 Dec 2012, 05:30 1 1
For you all saying Lumia 920 is bulky: The device is using the world's smallest hardware enabled Image Stabilizer, Wireless Charging, NFC, 2000mh battery, and it's still ONLY 3mm thicker than iPhone 5.
It's also pretty funny to look people complaining its bulky size, while they at the same time buy bulky covers for their iPhone's and Android phones and downgrade them to look like somekind of awkward construction rather than a design phone. Lumia 920 does not need any covers, as the torture tests show. It is built like a tank, and can take hits like a tank, unlike some thin phones with need of protective covers.
And please, where did HTC got its ideas for design? It's a direct copy of Lumia
148. lolol posted on 06 Dec 2012, 23:25 1 0
Yeah HTC 8S looks really cool :D genuine design, I love it :D I was considering Lumia 820 or HTC 8S
93. jackhammeR posted on 06 Dec 2012, 17:20 8 6
HTC looked too often at Lumias. they ran out of ideas.
153. Raymond_htc posted on 06 Dec 2012, 23:47 0 0
That's cuz Nokia's lumia line has set a standard for the design of every Windows Phone with its iconic Design..
The one that started it all- Lumia 800.
172. chaoticrazor posted on 07 Dec 2012, 07:21 3 0
actually id say the one that started it all is the n9, it deserves the credit for design
192. TechCheque posted on 08 Dec 2012, 05:31 0 0
Actually it was Nokia's N9 which started the design, but yeah Lumia 800 continued where it left
202. Gio1897 posted on 01 Jan 2013, 19:35 0 0
No, it was the Nokia N9 that started the kind of design.
104. Nadr1212 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 18:30 0 2
HAH!!!!! We all probably know why PA wrote only 2 sentences about the iPad mini, IF u know what u mean.
133. shadez10 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 21:12 0 3
HTC copies lumia designs... they used to be unique in terms of designs... but now they suck... -_-
155. Raymond_htc posted on 06 Dec 2012, 23:50 0 1
BAH. Thats a load of B.S. HTC still have their unique designs on the Phones they made, One good example is the Droid DNA... I ask you, how lumia-ish or Nokia-ish are they? Geez.
163. shadez10 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 04:02 0 0
im comparing the Windows phone line-up of HTC...
193. TechCheque posted on 08 Dec 2012, 05:47 1 0
Lumia 800/900 won an International Design Excellence Award in July 2012 which the Lumia 920 is based on. Where is HTC 8X design based on? What is its design inspiration sources? What are HTC's design principles? Who is the design lead of HTC?
88. PhoneArenaUser posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:36 7 0
Need to remember that meaning design is not only about how it looks, it is also about durability and ergonomics!
Talking about the iPhone 5 I agree that it looks good and I also think that it still has conditionally ergonomic design but it has por durability.
And talking about iPad mini there is no ergonomics and no durability so, except conditionally not bad look I don't see what this device is doing in this awards list. I think that Surface is definitely better device in all meanings than iPad mini.
110. Droid_X_Doug posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:07 2 0
JMO, but the physical look of the black iP5 is striking. It is a shame that the finish doesn't wear well. And then there is the horribly dated iOS UI....
132. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 06 Dec 2012, 21:10 1 2
is the UI included in design? I guess not.
But iP5 is scratchy so I don't think the design is good
134. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 06 Dec 2012, 21:15 2 0
PA should lay out the criteria it uses to pick the winners. Without common understanding this award will be a mess where personal preference rules.
177. PhoneArenaUser posted on 07 Dec 2012, 08:54 0 0
168. SonyXperiaNexus posted on 07 Dec 2012, 05:04 2 0
sony deserves a place here as well. anyway youre right, the iphone 5 might look good but whats the point if you have to buy covers to protect it....its stupid
120. thelegend6657 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:52 1 0
I think the Lumia 900 looks better than 920
150. thelegend6657 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 23:34 0 0
And also because its thinner and lighter . I liked the curved screen of the Lumia 800 too
156. KingKurogiii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 23:51 0 0
i think most of the lower end W8 devices look better than the higher end ones. xD
8S > 8X
Lumia 820 > Lumia 920
162. thelegend6657 posted on 07 Dec 2012, 03:33 0 0
The back of the 820 is ugly . Its also thicker and heavier than the 920
For the 8S case I think the colours combination is a little childish and not mature .
195. TechCheque posted on 08 Dec 2012, 22:54 0 0
Lumia 900 is not thinner than Lumia 920 and there's like 20g weight difference.
Bezel is there on purpose, so you don't hit the buttons accidentally. There is nothing in Lumia 920 design which has not been carefully thought in forehand. Also Lumia 920 has 2.5D curved glass, because the phone should feel natural and comfortable in hand, not sharp corners like on iPhone 5
200. jameshoe posted on 20 Dec 2012, 20:01 0 1
Lumia 920 HAVE GOT TWO AWARD!!!!! THE BEST PHONE & THE BEST PRODUCT DESIGN AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Joshing4fun posted on 06 Dec 2012, 13:50 7 12
Ya know it doesn't make ya'll biased NOT to include an apple product. IPad mini, really?
12. KingKurogiii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:02 15 3
it's a nice feeling product, thin and metal with very fine touches of quality craftsmanship. just how doesn't it deserve to be here?
80. kdealltheway posted on 06 Dec 2012, 15:57 1 2
Sure that's all out of your mouth? :-P
85. TROLL posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:29 0 11
The iPad touch, feel, craftmanship with along Android OS, or vice-versa.™®©
15. OHaZZaR posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:11 3 0
I had the same mentality until I held one. It feels really amazing while holding it I almost bought it impulsively had it not been for the A5 chip and lacklustre screen. Really it has an amazing build, it feels great. It's also unbelievably light. Like I thought it wasn't a big deal until I held it.
23. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:25 3 0
They do have great designs, like it or not. The iPhone 5 has a great feel in hand, you can't appreciate it until you've held one and used it for awhile. I personally think the Nexus 4 should've been up here though, it looks very clean and sophisticated.
84. TROLL posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:27 0 9
IP5. GS3. OneX+™®©
114. darkkjedii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:25 0 1
Yep the + is sweet
121. thelegend6657 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:55 6 1
The galaxy s3 is ugly and I always accidentally hitted the menu and back buttons because they are too close the the edge .
Typed from a galaxy S3
196. cripton805 posted on 09 Dec 2012, 02:24 0 1
You must hold your phone funny. All of the phones are made to be held from the sides. Not from the bottom up. Ive never had any problems and I have large clumsy hands.
I also think the GS3 looks fine. Its shaped like a rectangle like every other one of these phones. I dont think its the best, but I think to call it ugly is a bit dramatic considering rectangle shape and soft keys are standard on every phone nowadays.
86. KingKurogiii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:32 0 2
i think everything up there deserves to be up there but with the audition of the Razr M/i for it's compact design and the Razr MAXX HD for it's solid iPhone equivalent construction along with that real nice notification light and maybe LG's recent crop deserves to be up there too.
178. JunitoNH posted on 07 Dec 2012, 09:26 1 0
You are joking right? About the Nexus 4. You might as well put that ugly S3 up here too.
3. Insignificant posted on 06 Dec 2012, 13:51 16 11
iPad mini? It's a smaller version of a larger version of an iPod.
The iPhone 5? Or is it the iClone 5? 5 years of almost identical phones.
The Lumia 920? 2 iterations of the same design...
HTC One s? Maybe...But nothing outstanding...I'd prefer the one X+, nicer colours...
No surprise iPhoneArena forgets the Xperia P, iconic, good build quality and premium materials...Or the xperia TX/GX...a cool light up logo and a worthy successor of the Arc.
14. danny_a2005 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:08 12 5
And the xperia s... That lighting bar is a great eye catcher...
19. OHaZZaR posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:16 1 11
The iPhone 5 also uses premium materials. The xperia p has a decent design at best. And the iPhone 4 is pretty distinct from the previous generations, can't exactly say the same about the iPhone 4S or the 5. Please don't bash on the lumia 920, it looks pretty awesome. Oh and since we're talking about copy cats the iPhone 4S and 5 are less alike than the xperia S and T.
42. Insignificant posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:48 10 0
I think you were drunk when you wrote that comment. The S has a lighting bar, the T doesn't. The S curves noticeably outwards, the T is literally the opposite. No-one in 10,000 years could ever get confused by them visually. iFail?
161. OHaZZaR posted on 07 Dec 2012, 01:31 0 0
I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant S and P, the T does look different. I don't exactly know sony phones like I do Samsung or HTC or LG, so pardon me. I see my flaw though and that the iPhone 4S and 5 aren't exactly alike, but they are similar and it took apple 2 years to change the design incrementally. The time difference is much shorter between the S and P so they are justified if they look alike (like the One S and One X as Aaron pointed out). So yeah I am in the wrong on this one. I'm not biased, trust me, I moved from the iPhone 4 to the GALAXY Note hoping the 4S brought something new to the table, and I have a macbook air. i'm not loyal to a brand, but I do find the iPhone's design iconic at the very least. At most it's eye-catching.
48. Aaron_R96 posted on 06 Dec 2012, 14:52 4 0
Haha, totally agree with Insignificant, the S and T? You must be joking. In fact it's so outrageous that I'm gonna presume you meant S and P, in which case yeah, they're from the same series of phones! like the One X and One S. But in fact they are different - the aluminium unibody of the P (which is also smaller than the S) but yes, they both share the same design traits..
At least they don't look like someones took a rolling pin to one (iPhone 4/4s) in order to create the other! (iPhone 5)
160. OHaZZaR posted on 07 Dec 2012, 01:21 0 0
I actually did mean S and P, sorry for the misunderstanding :P
63. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 06 Dec 2012, 15:37 5 1
What about the DNA?? lol I agree that at least one sony should of been up there but hey im not mad about it.......a beauty contest isnt what sony needs from a website, they need sales!! and an improvement in marketing strategy
66. darkkjedii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 15:40 3 8
Face it dude its PA's site the make the choices, u just hate and run ur mouth. Sit down, shut up, and jus chill. We know u hate apple...we know!
81. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:18 1 1
is that in response to me? or someone else?
115. darkkjedii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:27 0 2
Some one else
91. PhoneArenaUser posted on 06 Dec 2012, 16:44 5 1
"Face it dude its PA's site the make the choices, u just hate and run ur mouth. Sit down, shut up, and jus chill. We know u hate apple...we know!"
So the only one person who can have an opinion and comment here is you and anyone who hase different opinion about the Apple shoud shut up? Right?
I suggest you to use your own advice about "shut up" and don't tell people what they can and what they can't do. Because everyone here are free to express their own opinion freely of course while it is not against PhoneArena commenting rules.
103. SleepingOz posted on 06 Dec 2012, 18:27 0 2
Agree One X looks better but well, aesthetic is subjective anyway.
122. darkkjedii posted on 06 Dec 2012, 19:55 1 2
Well dude y don't u start your own site, and do your own editors choice awards. Hmmmm... Then u can pic the arc and the lite up logo.
197. MC1123 posted on 09 Dec 2012, 19:41 1 0
yeah... sony phones deserve to be there!! but its just that they are not making quite a buzz like these phones!!!
sony should make something to let people flock on them!