PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Cameraphone
0. phoneArena 11 Dec 2012, 10:37 posted on
Phones aren't just for calling anymore, and we bet that even your grandparents are well aware of that. Instead, taking photos is what smartphones are used for the most, as recent surveys have shown. And that should come as no surprise: most high-end smartphones can capture images so good that they are well capable of replacing an entry-level point and shoot camera. Therefore, including a 'Best Cameraphone' category in our PhoneArena Awards of 2012 seems quite logical to us...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
56. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
one x is very good its better than s 3 the one x plus is not so great i can tell cuz thats what im using now and i had the one x international and s 3.
17. Emily1985 (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
1) Nokia 808 PureView
2) Nokia Lumia 920
3) iPhone 5
18. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1047; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I'm not surprised that the 920 isn't on this list. This list is about the best overall camera phones. The 920 takes amazing video and low light shots. Other than that, it's not great. So the next gen Lumia should def be at the top though.
31. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
I agree, lumia 920 has OIS and great audio in videos. And it has f2.0 so it has ´´bright´´ night photos. But other than that it is not so great, the photos are not sharp and they are kind of washed out. What is ironic here is that Sony is providing cameras for iphone 5 and SGS3, but SGS3 and iphone 5 has better photos and video.
72. freebee269 (Posts: 519; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
gs3 and iphone5 do not take better video. lumia 920 beats those phones easily. i agree the daytime pics of the 920 are soft, but if you open the pic up in nokia's creative studio (which is free) and add clarity to the pic, the pic looks just like how it looked on the phone screen when it took the pic. other than daytime photo's, the 920 camera beats the gs3 and iphone5 camera in every other category.
21. Mghazisohail (Posts: 23; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
second should be lumia 920, way better than ip5 and gs3!!!
22. kadalil (Posts: 20; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
u guys do realize that if iphonearena had their way,their beloved iphone would win this award...bcos i remember ray.s review of the lumia 920 saying call quality was crap whereas dat was a big lie,every oda review and comparisons said odawise..also for the camera comparisons he did d same..whereas oda reviews said odawise....
25. theBankRobber (Posts: 645; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Didn't the iPhone 5 have a issue with pink or purple lines and spots around light? I thought that was a problem, maybe it was software related? Anyway good article.
29. oying24 (Posts: 48; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
omg they just dont know what's the capabilty of one x's camera.its great and deserves to be # 2 or #3.
34. ucancallmenickk (unregistered)
The Galaxy S III has a pretty terrible camera compared to the Lumia 920, I'm confused as to why it's even on the list...
46. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
yeah thanks, that really adds relevance
39. alterecho (Posts: 1073; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Here is a very interesting comparison between Lumia 920 and Nokia N8:
136. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I liked it... a very fair review. PA should take notes.
41. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
optimus g w/ 13mp
44. RapidCat (Posts: 351; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
I think i agree with the list.
Nokia 920 is software base not sensor base.
This is about the camera(hardware) not the software.
After i see zoom photo with 920 iphone5 sgs3
Iphone and sgs have good level of sharpnes and noise.
Lumia 920 is over sharp. And the noise. Worse.
Thats all. You can hate me for saying this but its the truth
47. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
this is.........not the truth your comment makes no sense
nokia 920 isnt software based, its hardware i.e the floating lens tech etc
the iphone's camera is software based and so is the gs3's camera. so again your comment doesnt make sense.
the gs3 uses alot of post processing like sharpening, saturation same as the iphone. its down to the software the differences between those two
for me its
3 iphone 5/maybe room for an LG
48. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
You've just contradicted what you've said.
920 is good in terms of sensor but lacks the proper "software" integration.
The noise level and sharpness you see on iPhone's and S3's captured photos are results of post processing methods. Without a great software, all camera modules would be the same in terms of quality.
but all in all, 920's one of the best camera phones of 2012. but not in all category, yet it could still beat other phones such as sgs3 :)
51. myownchoice (Posts: 22; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
U sure? have u seen phonearena latest camera comparison? lumia is only good in low light....
103. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
please read again my comment and please do comprehend what i've said. "lacks the proper software integration".
If nokia gave an update for this device, for sure you'll see how good the camera is. As I'v said again, without a great software, all camera modules would be the same in terms of quality. iPhone and SGS3 relied on their proper DSP integration.
54. gazmatic (Posts: 573; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
i see this article will bring out trolls, fans, haters, etc...
but in all honesty.... the iphone has basically the same camera as the nexus 4....
if iphone is number 2 then nexus 4 has to be number 3 but it isnt so one has to ask why?
how can a purple glare camera be second?
the two pureview should be 1 and 2 with everyone else fighting for third... heck even the n8 can still compete for third
but i digress.... even the diehard android fans and diehard iFans will agree... there is no cameraphone that beats pureview technology
i am taken aback at how iphone 5 could be number two
on gsmarena's photo compare tool the iphone5 almost lost to a nokia n900!!!!
57. gazmatic (Posts: 573; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
the one x has a BETTER camera than the iphone....
61. babyk (Posts: 221; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
And trust me PHONE DOG wouldnt award that s3 over one x
67. oo7Bond (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Oct 2012)
best 5 camera phone in market IMO (not only of 2012)
69. redmd (Posts: 868; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
wow so many fanboys butt hurt. let's face it, the 920 is only good at night shots. the daylight is average for a flagship. iI agree with the rank though Note 2 would also rank third having the same sensor as S3.
70. Guarulhos (Posts: 39; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Unchallenged and Victory More Than Fair !
What We Did With The Nokia Cameraphone, No Doubt Is A Great Technological Advancement And The Award For Best Cameraphone Year Something Is More Than Deserved !
P.S: The Greater Truth Of The World Mobile Is Nokia 808 PureView PRO (__Abyss__) All Other Mobile Planet With Integrated Digital Camera !!!
73. freebee269 (Posts: 519; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
i'd vote it:
1.) Nokia 808 Pureview
2.) Nokia Lumia 920
3.) Samsung GS3
4.) Apple Iphone 5
5.) Nokia N9
but who are we kidding here. you expect phonearena to give you an honest unbiased review? i'm not surprised by them not putting the 920 in the top 3 at all. they cant have 2 nokia phones in the top 3. they might rile up their apple and samsung backers.
79. ajerseyjr (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
I thought the Nokia Lumia 920 has a better camera? Why its not included here? And Iphone 5 camera sucks if you shoot a picture on a bright light source it turns to purple.
81. Shino (Posts: 188; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
For the FIRST time I read a decent article in PA. There is still hope for you, guys. Maybe you listened and started hiring Master degree people. :)
83. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
or maybe just maybe you only see articles as good when you agree, the ones you dont agree to suddenly become biased and you attack those who write it
besides why would they listen when more then half the comments on here are completely biased and one sided?
85. lumia920 (Posts: 107; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
from the title i were expecting lumia 920 to be second one following 808..... but i didn't found it.... so disappointed.....
my rankings are...
2 lumia 920
no body can beat nokia in camera department....
88. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
the n8 isnt gonna be included as its ''2012 best cameraphone''
i agree the 920 should be up there, the gs3 shouldnt. but lets face it P.A probably included the samsung so the android fanboys didnt go into a hissy fit and shout biased
89. networkdood (Posts: 6263; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
That is the one thing that iphone has going for it - stale OS, but pretty good camera.
91. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 715; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Nokia Smartphone:
1) Apple iPhone
2) Samsung Galaxy S3
3) Samsung Note 2
4) Apple iPad
5) Apple TV
100. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
What a genius........an iPad and a TV console as a phone.......u'r brilliant.
97. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Heres what it should be!
1ST: Nokia 808 Pureview
2ND: Nokia Lumia 920
3RD: HTC One X
iPhone 5 don't deserve a 2nd place!
99. MC1123 (Posts: 1236; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Lol this is all mess up!!! Where's the xperia TX and the Lumia 920???
101. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Whoah, Im surprised by the Saumsung entry on this list. I knew a Nokia phone would be listed along with the iPhone but the S3? I am no fanboy or take any sides but I didnt think Samsung produced phones with great cameras?! I thought they were ok but to make this list? I thought top three would entail a Nokia phone, the iPhone 5, and a HTC phone. I thought HTC with the One X series had an amazing camera. Was I misled?
sidenote: All smartphones that come with a built in camera should also come with a built in camera button! Who else is with me?!?!?!?
108. MC1123 (Posts: 1236; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
yeah..should be lumia 920!! it just put s3 and even oneX to dust!
105. raphz (Posts: 35; Member since: 22 Oct 2012)
iphonearena and now also known as samsungarena
110. Shubham412302 (Posts: 298; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
though phonearena says iphone is better but tgis fact cant be changed that lumia is better
and why you didnt take n8 in mind
it was old but one of the best camera phone
111. andyPA (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Dec 2012)
Lumia 920 carrying same technology as PureView 808 even though it doesn't have the huge 41MP sensor of the Nokia 808, maybe PA reviewer only provide an opportunity for another brands to shine. But why Xperia T not nominated in this category? since iPhone 5 camera powered by Sony sensor...
116. Adithya7184 (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
lolzzzz Galaxy S3 beats the 920...ha ha ha
117. anshul0000 (unregistered)
118. SaM1X (Posts: 9; Member since: 12 Dec 2012)
The list above is not sensible at all.
They should have included,
Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Phone 8 category,
Nokia Pureview 808 - Other Phones category,
HTC One X - Android Phone Category.
HTC phones got the best aperture on any smartphone,n dedicated ImageSense ISP really makes difference,look at One X's low light shots,much better than S3 and the iPhone 5, (Ya the iPhone 5). Phonearena you should stop favoring Apple and Samsung,its time to focus on whats better or whats not. THIS TOPIC FORCED ME TO REGISTER AND COMMENT. N it wasted my 5 precious mins.
134. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
If you think about it PA ended up the winner here if it forced you to register in order to comment. ;)
I agree when it comes to the One X, it should have definitely been on the list.
120. samystic (Posts: 189; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
ONLY for kickgolfer and other idiot Android fanbois who hijacked 'Most Innovative Product of 2012' page - still doubting 808's innovative aspect? look at this page and eat s**t... no doubt your Note2 has some really new (i won't call innovative), but 808's camera is innovative and deserves both the titles... topic over
135. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Probably the MOST underrated phone of 2012 no contest.
137. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
HTC's normally fail the camera competition for obvious reasons. Look at any camera comparisons.. everything tends to have an odd flat and green tint to it.
143. jameshoe (unregistered)
SGS3 shouldn't on the list!!!!