PhoneArena Awards 2012: Best Cameraphone
0. phoneArena 11 Dec 2012, 10:37 posted on
Phones aren't just for calling anymore, and we bet that even your grandparents are well aware of that. Instead, taking photos is what smartphones are used for the most, as recent surveys have shown. And that should come as no surprise: most high-end smartphones can capture images so good that they are well capable of replacing an entry-level point and shoot camera. Therefore, including a 'Best Cameraphone' category in our PhoneArena Awards of 2012 seems quite logical to us...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
5. Naviiin (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
Was about to ask, but they didn't like it that much in that comparison that was posted a couple of days ago.
8. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Maybe so, but their own "920 vs 5" comparison had the 920 coming out on top excepting still image detail for auto modes.
42. iamfury (Posts: 62; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
OHHHHH C'MOOOOOONNNNNN........ this article FORCED me to sign in and coment about how biased this article is. i dont really think this is iphonearena or samsungarena, but i am damn sure they have some grudges with nokia and MS. 90% of the article here directly or indirectly bash both nokia & MS. I used to love this website but now it just makes me sick.
102. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
So what, what's the big deal? Looks like NickT doesn't like MS and Nokia, what's you're problem?
124. iamfury (Posts: 62; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
man i'll never get tierd of this =D
And to respond to *YOUR* senseless reply !!!!
My dear troll, this forum is *SUPPOSED* to be a neutral reviewer so it can help us make our mind from an arbitrary point. But this hasnt been the case right here.
Thats the reason I have started to dislike this website. and let me ask you by using *YOUR* question, what is *YOUR* problem with me disliking this website for its biased reviews ??? I'll be more than happy to here from you :)
138. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
wait.. this article is bashing nokia..? So.... did they give a NOKIA THE WIN because they felt sorry for bashing it?
Did you even read? The pureview by NOKIA won. It had nothing to do with OS.. since it runs Nokia's now dead OS, but its by far the most superior camera. It would have won regardless if it was on WP8, Android, Meego, or Bada.
104. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
REALLY?!?! The iPhone 5's there and the Lumia 920 isn't shown?
This is so messed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
35. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
gotta give them iPhone 5, but I can't accept the fact that 920's not included here.
It has the best low light capabilities.
78. metalpoet (unregistered)
what i dont understand is how the iPhone 5 got 2nd place when it was already reported to have the purple glare in their pictures!
84. darkkjedii (Posts: 21778; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bcuz several others had it too. Please do your research, not just attack the iPhone dude
93. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
S3 doesn't have it. 920 doesn't have it. And trust me, for your sake, I did my research prior to this.
132. a1000smiles4u (Posts: 84; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
whysoserious he wont trust u ... he only obey orders from apple inc.
10. MeoCao (unregistered)
My picks are:
1. 808 PureView: no comment needed
2. Lumia 920: Great shock absorbing mechanism and low light capability.
3. iPhone 5: Great camera in a very thin body
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 21778; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
What!!! Am I reading this correctly? MeoCao actually said something not anti about the iPhone. There's hope for u after all n the land on fairness lol. Just kidding man... Gs3, and iPhone r a tops up for 2nd.
28. MeoCao (unregistered)
LOL, I never complained about iPhone 5 camera except the purple flare which turned out to be normal for most phone cameras.
36. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I am flattered! Meo you are thinking rationally!!!
65. Insignificant (Posts: 192; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Nah, Xperia T over the iPhone 5. It has a CAMERA BUTTON! Makes sense for a camera phone. And a better camera overall I think. Especially tweaked with non-official mods.
131. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
A shutter key (2-way at that) is ABSOLUTELY essential in a "camera-phone"
19. the_best (Posts: 139; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
man they suck here at PA, who in their right mind can selebrate panorama as a amazing new feature?
When reading the Lumia920 review they complain about no new features to the camera, i guess cinemagraph and smart shoot doesnt count.. (the reason i got the phone, that and the night capabilitys). and then i havnt even mentioned the filming capabilitys.... aaand the Lumia920 got panorama to.. every high end phone got panorama! so whats the reason they shoose ipone5, its not cause its the best, cause its clearly not.. its a great phone but not just the best camerawise.. could you please explain this to me, and everyone else who read your articles...
27. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Right, plus Photosynth which allows for spherical panoramas. Straight panoramas are sooooo 2010
115. pliskin1 (Posts: 59; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Oh wow...panorama, so cutting edge...NOT. I've owned several dumbphones that have panorama capabilities.
26. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 178; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Seriously, the image stabilization alone should be enough to have be up there
40. Commentator (Posts: 3705; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I don't usually accuse PA of bias (except when it comes to the original Palm Pre review) but this list is seriously messed up. The 920 didn't even crack the top 3? Ridiculous. If Samsungarena was as catchy as iPhonearena, I'd use it to describe them right now.
45. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
As much as I hate to say it, based on the comparison they recently did I would have also excluded the Lumia 920 from the list. *no bias I'm a proud Lumia 900 owner*
62. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
The reason it's not included is beacuse it has great low light photography, but sub-par daylight photography. The iPhone 5 and GSIII beat it hands down during the day light and still have good (but not as good as the Lumia 920) night time photos.