PhoneArena Awards 2012: App of the year
0. phoneArena 10 Dec 2012, 12:25 posted on
It isn't what your smartphone can do, it's what you can do with your smartphone. And for the most part, what you can do with your smartphone depends on what app you have installed on it. Speaking of apps, we got to try a lot of them over the past 12 months – some useful and easy to use, others not so much. A handful of these apps, however, stood above the rest, so we decided to dedicate an entire post to them...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
DAMN YOU! YOU BEAT ME TO THAT JOKE!!!
I suppose you used Google maps then.
35. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I have NEVER heard of those last Three apps
31. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
smallworld's being sarcastic.
city lens is awesome.
32. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
lol... funny truth!
but what about steet view (not that im using it)
but city lens and steet view are great apps!
then again, the world is currently ruled by either android or iOS!
3. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I think it's the messages app of iOS (which is actually regarded as an app by Apple, check if you don't believe me).
The static keyboard on the iPhone 5 changed everything again. And shows that Apple are headed in the right direction (which is subjective, as this is according to iOS maps only though).
7. ultimatebatman (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
how the heck is messaging an App of the year? You Apple fanboys really know how to grasp at straws. Google has the top 3 on the list because they actually innovate, performance be damned (worth noting that they also innovate with non-apps like Butter that save increase fluidity), unlike Apple who refuses to add anything new for fear of causing a flutter in their archaically simple OS.
27. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
We really have to start using the /s to show sarcasm....lol
43. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
We really do. I honestly can't see how that wasn't picked up, especially due to the references about the static line glitch, 'it changes everything again' AND iOS maps in 1 comment.
I've seen a comment before which too was anti-Apple, but the sarcasm picked up. Are the readers here braindead?
45. AFnerdTP (Posts: 86; Member since: 15 May 2012)
lol!! your tone was just so serious.. and s**t, you know we have had stupid people like that in comment sections.
i do see it now that i read it again. pretty funny.
48. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I'm going to be totally honest, I didn't expect Chrome to be on here. The iOS version is good for syncing and pre-loading pages, but is a bit crippled due to App Store limitations. The Android version is often criticized, and many say that Google should have left it in beta longer and stuck with the stock browser.
Google Now, though.
10. sorcio46 (Posts: 420; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
message app of iOS = whatsapp restricted to iOS users -.-
33. bayusuputra (Posts: 957; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
with iMessage, you are excluded from the rest of the world who don't use iMessage! So cool right? So exclusive!
And yesss! the keyboard! which other keyboard changes pencil to pen*s? So cool right!!! Oh, and that static line, WHAT-A-FEATURE!!!
44. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
It was sarcasm you idiot, and even if you didn't pick that up, I even wrote a comment about it before you posted this. Fail.
46. bayusuputra (Posts: 957; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
F U! I know it was sarcasm! So I add it up! chill, dude..
you think that I don't f-ing know it was sarcasm when you yourself don't know that I wrote another sarcasm just to add up to what you said..
who's the idiot now?
50. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Damn, sorry, I was just so frustrated at other comments hating that comment, I'm now guilty of the same thing, which makes me a hypocrite.
47. bayusuputra (Posts: 957; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
probably you just mad you get all thumbs down for your sarcasm comment, and then calling me idiot..
5. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I have no bones to pick except for the browser choice.
I find Dolphin, Boat and Maxthon far better than Chrome
12. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I will agree the performance of Chrome leaves much to be desired, but the others just don't have the syncing abilities Chrome has, they really are useful if you use Chrome on your PC
16. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
True.. but it's just not such an issue after you put a little effort in building up the browser manually.. at least in my case.
The speed and smoothness of latest Dolphin with JetPack on S3 is just impossible to turn back to.
22. BattleBrat (Posts: 1218; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Dolphin JetPack 'eh? Thanks for the tip....
20. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The stock Motorola ICS browser is great.
This is probably the best one, but only for Motorola phones. I have a Samsung tablet, and TouchWhiz on ICS is terrible. The browser crashes all the time. For that, I like to use Firefox.
6. aco96 (Posts: 218; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Nokia City Lens in my opinion. Btw, chrome is the worst app I ever installed
8. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
is PA being recently scared of putting anything apple there so the readers dint hate them, as I haven't seen anything apple in recent awards. they probably learned its not worth here as everyone is Android fan. or does apple really have nothing to offer anymore?
13. christianqwerty (Posts: 463; Member since: 05 May 2011)
Google now... Seriously?
I also find the s3's stock browser better than chrome.
14. EdwardG (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Apr 2012)
Google Now and Chrome just for 4.0 and up.. this can be Apps of the year... if the apps works in all android version maybe could be...
pocket not is funcional for me..
swiftkey and clear are Ads haha..
PD: don't check my english... maybe is bad XD
15. matrix_neo (Posts: 326; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I agree with Google now, chrome for mobile, and pocket. They are really best app for this year. I'm using chrome in my galaxy tab 7.7 almost everyday since I update my tab to ICS. For pocket, I used it in dolphin browser, its easier to use, I still can't figure out how to use it in chrome for mobile.
17. Stuntman (Posts: 820; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I'm not impressed with Google Now, so far. This morning, it suggested a longer route than what I normally take. I decided to launch the navigation app to see if my regular route was congested. In fact, my regular route was clear and was faster.
19. erdpov (Posts: 67; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
My list: Firefox (tablet version) for the best browser, Google+ is very beautiful and stylish social app, Google maps with street view, catch notes for the best notes, go launcher ex for the best launcher. This is my apps I use almost every day. Most of all I like Firefox browser on my galaxy note tablet.
23. The_Innovation (Posts: 578; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
You wouldn't rate Nova Launcher better than Go Launcher?
24. erdpov (Posts: 67; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
I've never tried it. But thanks for your comment. And I think nova doesn't have all these handy plugins, themes, customization of every aspect. Anyway I will install it to compare.
38. The_Innovation (Posts: 578; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Yea it doesn't have as many themes to go along with it, but it just looks more badass in my opinion.
21. The_Innovation (Posts: 578; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Question if I may.
I have the latest Swift Key 3 keyboard (paid version), and there's one feature that annoys me, just like it annoyed me on the default Galaxy Nexus. The enter key, is a smiley face. I have to hold down the smiley so I can use the enter key (to skip lines in texts). Is there a way to change that so that the default is the enter key? And the smiley is activated with a long press? This only happens in the Messaging App, but it's annoying.
25. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4155; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I have Swiftkey as well (paid), and it's the opposite for me. Hold down enter to get to the smileys. It doesn't change when you switch themes either. I don't know what to tell you, it doesn't look like there are any settings for your issue. All I can say is to shorten the long-press duration time to make it a bit easier.
39. The_Innovation (Posts: 578; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I think it's a matter of what phone you use. It optimizes based on the default keyboard you have. For instance, I bet your default Android keyboard doesn't have that smiley, and mine does on the Galaxy Nexus. So it laid out in that way.
41. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4155; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That makes sense I guess. Looks like that's there to stay then, sorry mate
29. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
apple has a tendency of ripping android and not getting sued. i wonder why android app makers simply rip off apple's keyboard. i think apple makes the best keyboard. keyboard and the app store is the only remaining bits of apple iphone i would like replicated or topped for android. however the new swiftkey flow is really good. its much better than 3
34. Whateverman (Posts: 3235; Member since: 17 May 2009)
The only good thing about iOS's keyboard is the pop up you get when you press a letter. Other than that, I got nothing. I hate having to switch beaten letters and number, the symbols are on a whole other page, and why on earth would apple not put the dollar sign on the same page as the number? I think these other app makers make better keyboards and Apple should take notes.
36. lyndon420 (Posts: 2406; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
My favorite app right now is one I just found yesterday called 'Idle Time Connection Manager' for turning my data off when I put the screen to sleep, and brings it back on after I've unlocked to the home screen.
37. phil2n (Posts: 481; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
None of PA guys use Lumia that's why they didn't include City Lens
40. Rayvelynn (Posts: 124; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
hahaha 3 out of 4 were android apps, take that apple, lol
42. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Phonearena do u give awards like worst & faulty app of d year.
dan u know who its goin 2 be
49. McLTE (Posts: 732; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I'm not sure I'd call swiftkey 3 an app of the year. Using it on my note 2 is frustrating!
maybe it's the Note 2 behind the scenes but it does not, nor will not learn many of the words I use. it constantly wants to replace common words like "Harley" with Harleyville.. wtf?
It will NOT allow me to add words to the dictionary either. Def not a top app for me!