PhoneArena Awards 2011: Best tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
1. kshell1 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:11 7
if only the transformer prime had been released in time.....
2. belovedson posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:14 6
all three are total ripoffs. thanks to fire the prices of tablets must come down
6. xvengence42 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:40 5
How are they a waist of money? They are the highest quality tablets on the market. The Fire is hardly a tablet and cant do even half of the things the other ones can.
9. remixfa posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:54 5
i wouldnt call them rip offs. They are "premium" tablets. And the transformer is priced 150 below the other 2 and has more connectivity options by far. So on that, id say the asus is the best value for a premium tablet.
The Fire however, is hardly incapable. It runs a dual core OMAP setup, which is technically a stronger chip than the Tegra2 used in the Tab and Transformer. It is held back a bit by its shallow amount of ram, but that's about it. So for 200 bux you have a potentially very capable tablet that is premium in all things but price (and of course lack of cameras). it is also easily rooted and is already getting an unnoficial ICS port.
Higher prices do not equal higher quality, and neither does the reverse. The Fire is the best thing for the market, because the more it succeeds the more it pulls the prices of all the other tablets down. We call that "free market economics". :)
11. iamcc posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:59 2
Yeah, I was in Best Buy yesterday and was looking at the Kindle Fire.
Nothing against people who like it but if I had $200 and was looking for a tablet I would save up another $400 and buy the GT10.1
But i'm a little biased because I have a GT10.1 and love it :)
33. shafboy posted on 12 Dec 2011, 16:29 0
Well the iPad 2 is selling a lot so does it matter?
3. RamyRamz69 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:19 3
No Sony Tablet S or Motorola Xoom? This must be a joke....
5. xvengence42 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:39 4
The xoom was really bad.. and ive never even heard of the Sony Tablet S..
8. HTCiscool posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:50 5
The Tablet S was good, but they only have 3 slots, and its probably like 4th or 5th, and the Xoom was expensive, half-baked and laggy.
The whole point of owning a Xoom was probably to get the right to say "I'm anti-apple and I love it"
32. RamyRamz69 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 16:18 3
Yah man. But why would the Galaxy 10.1 be placed over the Sony Tablet S...give me proper reasons.
34. Lucas777 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 20:44 0
a horrible design on the tablet s and the galaxy s is way thinner…
7. HTCiscool posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:46 7
The Transformer should have made an easy second, and the iPad I guess would have won due to its smoothness and app store. I would have placed them in this order:
1. Apple iPad 2 - Great apps and smooth performance
2. Asus Eee Pad Transformer - Good price point and good value
3. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Great looks and powerful hardware
4. HTC Flyer - Now now, go search Youtube for HTC Flyer running Honeycomb, its smoother then all the other honeycomb tabs out there. Smoother than the SGT8.9, Xoom, and the Tablet S. Ok, it debited a bit high on the price scale but it was simply a quality tablet, regardless of its 2nd gen Qualcomm chip!
5. Sony Tablet S - Great screen, smooth, PS certified, great UI, one of my favorites.
6. Umm, the G-Slate I guess, haven't heard a lot about it but I guess its good.
10. remixfa posted on 12 Dec 2011, 10:57 2
I completely agree on the top 3. i thought the Asus should have taken 2nd place since it carries the same hardware as the Tab, but at a lower pricepoint and with more actual functionality, but they said none of that went into decisions.. so i guess its just based off swyping and skin deep looks?
Gslate is a great tablet.. again its the same hardware as pretty much every other android tablet (tegra2 + Honeycomb), but it priced itself out of competition. It has a very good screen on it as well.
12. droiddomination posted on 12 Dec 2011, 11:02 4
gee did anyone actually think PA would give # 1 to anything else besides an apple product. That have wet dreams of Jobs bygolly!
17. kshell1 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 11:50 1
antifanboy, its quite obvious that he was being sarcastic
35. remixfa posted on 13 Dec 2011, 08:33 0
and for someone who makes their screen name "antifanboy", you are one of the biggest and biased fanboys on the site.. arent ya, taco?
13. rycx365 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 11:12 2
Waiting for the windows 8 tablet :) Hope they can top the list next year
16. jacko (unregistered) posted on 12 Dec 2011, 11:43 0
samsung galaxy tab 10.1 result from that transformation was very successful indeed that apple tried to ban it
xoom was a p.o.s i got the xoom and i really like it
can anyone tell me y its a p.o.s ???
18. c.hack posted on 12 Dec 2011, 11:53 0
The Xoom wasn't bad once it was released on wifi. The big disappointments seemed to be the broken promise of LTE and the screen. Most tablet screens are better than the Xoom's. I have the Acer A500 and the screen is also mediocre. My iPad 1st gen screen is better, but the form factor is not so good for video.
Its great that the iPad has HBOGo and Netflix and an IPS screen, but its form factor causes 16:9 video to be shrunk down and much smaller than on an Android tablet. I wish Apple would release a widescreen iPad.
19. Hallucinator posted on 12 Dec 2011, 12:08 0
I agree with the top 3. I have the Ipad 2 and the Transformer and love them both for different reasons. I actually bought the xoom and took it back after 2 days. Absolutely hated it and then bought the Transformer and Love it. My brother bought the Galaxy Tab and that is really nice as well.
20. networkdood posted on 12 Dec 2011, 12:13 3
Sooo, a tablet with no USB support and no SD card support won the award....yep, that makes sense.
21. c.hack posted on 12 Dec 2011, 12:42 2
Seriously? I have support for both on my A500 and never had a need for either. A checklist of specs does not make a device good.
29. networkdood posted on 12 Dec 2011, 14:31 0
Really all I need is a way to transfer data - I could also use dropbox, but SD card makes it nice for me/
28. networkdood posted on 12 Dec 2011, 14:30 0
not a hater - we have an ipad 1 in the household - i just want something with more usefulness and more functionality....
27. Slammer posted on 12 Dec 2011, 14:15 0
I agree. If I could give more than 1 thumbs up, you would've recieved 10 from me.
23. M1K3YWR19H7 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 13:10 0
I wonder what this would look like if the "ASUS TRANSFORMER PRIME" was realeased before this was put together.
24. Slammer posted on 12 Dec 2011, 13:29 1
----" It is the year's best tablet because it delivers a yet-to-be-matched tablet experience."----
I'm not sure of this statement. Does anyone really know what the experience is supposed to be?
The whole premise of the tablet was based on the eventual replacement of PCs and Laptops. I don't think anyone has come out with that experience yet. If I were going to choose a tablet at this time, I would be looking at one that comes closest to that type of experience.
I believe Acer and ASUS have done very well in this aspect. Ports and connectors allow more versatility. Shouldn't that be worth more than an oversized ipod touch or Android phone?
25. DIYguy posted on 12 Dec 2011, 13:50 1
In Finland iPad is concidered to be a useless media toy for rich people... not that you could REALLY do something with tablets other than play and browse the internet
36. GTBruiser posted on 16 Dec 2011, 15:22 0
I use my iPads as both a business tool and a learning tool. Being able to instantaneously push, through the cloud, all of my daily business transactions, photos, and communications from them to our iPhones and Macs has been a godsend.
The learning apps for geared for autism (iOS only, so far) has helped open up a whole new world of communication for both my autistic grandson and the rest of our family.
Scoff if you must, but, the iPad is an invaluable tool for me my family and ,oh, by the way, we also use it to play games and browse the internet.
26. jove39 posted on 12 Dec 2011, 14:03 2
Well...let me remind you guys - iPad2 doesn't run flash...and this reason is enough to snatch top spot from iPad2...which I own btw...and from my personal experience...no matter how good gpu/looks it has...if it can't stream/play all forms of online content...its not best tablet/pad...whatever...and...one more thing...I hate to convert all movies for iPad2...can't iTunes just sync everything I ask for and let third party apps play them...sucks!
30. networkdood posted on 12 Dec 2011, 14:33 0
The ipad 1 was the reason why I did not buy the ipad 2. It is good for book reading and movie watching and game playing, though.