People are lining up outside AT&T stores for new Windows Phones
0. phoneArena 09 Nov 2012, 12:22 posted on
Today is the day. The highly anticipated Nokia Lumia 920, Lumia 820 and Windows Phone 8x by HTC are now available...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. aaronkatrini (Posts: 241; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
Oh no! even windows phone users now in lines for some phones! Doesnt promiss good... microsoft use some other strategy for publicity rather than copy from apple!
22. arsenaljimenez (Posts: 154; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Yeah but the people in these lines...aren't idiots.
these phones are worth being in line for
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
at the prices damn sure it is worthly to buy
39. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3091; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Agreed, if you dont want an iPhone or an Android phone, WM8 is the way to go. I am really considering picking one up as a secondary phone as I have never tried a WM7 device.
44. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 385; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
No phone is worth standing in line for.
34. JunitoNH (Posts: 1361; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Oh......poor Sammy no one lines up for you, what a phone to do? Make fun of MS users too.
37. HouTexan (Posts: 406; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Um, people actually did line up to get the Galaxy S3.
59. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3091; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Right, tell Samsung that after they already sold 30+ million SGS3s.
54. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1200; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
oh come on mate in case you havent noticed the world has moved on from apple as one of the articles released today in PA which revealed sales proved.
And baby WP looks and feels great...people usually line up for anything that's good and WP is god unlike a certain elongated tv-remote looking phone with weird screen res and aspect ratio
20. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 385; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I count roughly 16 people in line, with another person off to the side. So that said, where are their cars? In front of the store there are three empty non-handicap parking spaces, so where did these people park?
38. SleepingOz (unregistered)
LOL that's what I was about to point out.
There aren't many people actually. I think WP Central just tried to create a buzz.
42. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 385; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I have to admit the word "staged" did cross my mind.
57. divertito (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Nov 2012)
I live next to this store. The parking is to the right of the line and behind the guy taking the picture. Speaking of the guy taking the shot, the commentor for got to include him in the count, i.e. means there was at least one more person in line, assuming the guy behind the camera was the last one in line. There is a large MS campus near by, so this does not surprise me too much, lots and lots of MS employees who test and dev Xbox stuff around here.
58. jroc74 (Posts: 5647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
A large MS campus nearby.....well....that is interesting news.
66. MeoCao (unregistered)
They don't have to park their cars, they came on a MS bus.
36. AnTuTu (Posts: 1525; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Nokia best of luck and I believe these flagships devices will definitely change the image of the company.
Great to see those who are lined up for an awesome device :)
41. StringCheese01 (Posts: 64; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
What makes you think theyre waiting for Windows Phones and not the new Galaxy Note 2?? It's the first day for AT&T!
52. Castanedaa99 (Posts: 28; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
While this may be "old," I wonder if Apple will sue for lines forming outside stores for other phones? lol
2. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
But why would anyone want to stay in line just for a phone? It's irrelevant even though NOKIA and HTC have some nice looking hardware
8. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Ask the iPholks. They know about it better than anyone.
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 17024; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm an ifolk. It's actually pretty fun bro, a lil coffee, sum grub. It's cool.
15. Aeires (unregistered)
For an hour or two, maybe. For days, no.
21. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
ok you answer my question few hours yes FOR DAYS OUT IN THE COLD HELL NO
26. Aeires (unregistered)
It could be the nicest few days of the year and I still don't see it.
What's interesting with the pic above is the people are in front of the door, not hugging the wall like iFans. That tells me they were only expecting to be in line for a short while, not camping out.
16. tedkord (Posts: 7965; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You seem to be a sensible fellow. Please tell me you're talking a couple of hours, and you don't camp out for days.
40. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3091; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Sorry some of us have jobs to go to and families/friends to spent time with. Technology is awesome but for the people in reality, it's not worth waiting in line for. Not to mention the first patch of products ALWAYS have faulty devices.
17. KaiTech (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
I recently read an article about this phenomenon.
It seems that society is becoming so distant from human relations, that people stand in line for days or hours just for a sense of community. This seems funny, because another study stated that we pull out our phones in public places in order to prevent interacting with nearby people.
In other words we distance ourselves from other people using smartphones and then want to get closer to them when standing in line to get a new smartphone...
18. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
People stand in line all the time for releases, not just phones. If you look into the shoe collecting community, when a new hot release is out, they stand in line just like any other enthusiast for their sought after product. When GReddy or HKS (aftermarket performance manufacturers for cars) would release something on sale, lines would be crazy. Same goes for clothing companies. It's always the case when people are really excited about a product. It's not just limited to one demographic, aka iphone customers. People lined up for the SGS 3 when it was available. It is what it is.
48. GeekMovement (Posts: 2022; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
This video answers your question:
3. mrmooresince1979 (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
And let the Windows Phone hate begin!!
5. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Why would anyone want to hate on such a miniscule market share is beyond me. You do seem like you want people to hate though, be careful what you wish for though.
Waiting in line is nothing, people do it every Black Friday. They do it for the latest Jordan sneakers(the man hasn't played ball in over 10 years, smh). They do it for free cheese, they do it to pay bills, get money from the bank. Nothing wrong with waiting in line. Waiting in line for more than a day for things that aren't a necessity, now that is when you have to wonder about the individual.
Willing to wager there will be a number of Windows devotees coming in here to down vote any non Pro Windows stances.
47. jroc74 (Posts: 5647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is so true. Why is waiting in line for a phone this amazing thing now? Cuz its always associated with Apple?
Ppl do it for concert tickets, video games, etc. Ppl wait in line to get into clubs....its actually no big deal when you think about it.
11. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1023; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Just some food for thought: how do we know all of those people are there for Windows Phones? The Galaxy Note II did just release on AT&T today, so isn't it possible that some of those people are in line for that device as well? I'm just saying...
13. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1023; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I did not mean that statement to sound in any way like I am hating on Windows Phones. I actually like some of the features offered on Windows Phones. My comment was mostly just to point out something that you may not have thought about.
14. HouTexan (Posts: 406; Member since: 08 Jan 2012)
Yep, I'm in Texas (Houston), and I'm headed to AT&T for the Note II, today!!
30. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
judjing by phonearena hatred of wp's if they say something in favor of it maybe its possibly true who knows what people buy
7. nyamo (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Mar 2011)
surprising, but go MS, its good to see some of that marketing money paying off, hope the drive keeps going
9. frydaexiii (Posts: 1419; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yup, it's proven...People will line up for just about anything, not just Apple products...
19. jdep1 (banned) (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
As your profile pic states you are dead inside that brain. Many ppl will stay in line for something that is worth it. Like the lumia 920 if you don't know what that phone is packing inside it has a better camera than any iPhone & galaxy phone also it has the best screen technology you could use it with your gloves, nails a banana you name it it.. But of course us tech geeks don't care about the latest technology right? We just fight over what os is better..
61. shuaibhere (Posts: 1962; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
In what way your post is related to his post?????
actually you are blind inside.....
10. brandonrana (Posts: 57; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Instead of waiting in line for those boring ish*t 5 , people are eager to wait for lumia 920/820 and 8x is 10000000 times better !!!!! Wp8/NOKIA lumia920/htc8x FTW!!!!!!!!
65. brandonrana (Posts: 57; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Wait did i wrote something very out of topic or wrong thing? Then y Dislikes? Anyways WP8 lumia 920 and htc 8x are much much better than the I SH*T 5 thats a truth!!! Now keep crying you ISHEEPS !!
23. jroc74 (Posts: 5647; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Nice to see some interest in WP. Good luck MS, Nokia...
24. gameday78 (Posts: 48; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
I work in a level three store for Att and we have sold one! No lines here but Note II's have flying off the shelf.
25. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 944; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Very suspicious of this, i doubt there's that many people eagerly awaiting WP phones, i expect this to be exposed at a later point by e.g. an ex-employee or an insider.
27. Jyakotu (Posts: 832; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I've always been interested in Windows Phone, and Windows 8 is even making me want to purchase one so that I can just have a cohesive ecosystem. I would definitely purchase a Lumia model, especially in a bright color just to rebel against all the black, gray/sliver, and white phones that's everywhere.
32. PhoneAddiction (Posts: 79; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
I'd like to try out a new Mobile OS. Can someone sell me on a Windows Phone? Options are always good! :-)
33. carlosechev07 (Posts: 39; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I Just want to say .. very good for Nokia the best mobile hardware trying to go a head again.. but i think WP7 and WP8 are very plains, simple, basic and less innovative to give the fresh air that Nokia needs...!!
35. jed27 (Posts: 65; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
Now that it's finally out, I hope PhoneArena's review of the Lumia 920 comes out, too. And it better not include a sentence about it's 'hefty' weight.
43. carlosechev07 (Posts: 39; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Sorry man... it is really 'hefty' weight... that's the true...!!
67. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Its is for pure mans phone not for other like! Understand.
Good luck Nokia
45. GoBears (Posts: 436; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Stopped on the way home from work and played with a Lumia 920. Very disappointed. Camera was good in low light but that's about it. Other than low light pictures the Note 2 totally blew its doors off. MS has a lot of work to do on this OS if they want to seriously compete.
50. tech-head (Posts: 132; Member since: 02 Sep 2011)
Good job Nokia and Microsoft. The more competition the better.
51. rob5150 (Posts: 147; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
probably lining up for the galaxy note 2... wasnt it just released ? lol
53. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
im pretty sure they are all getting Lumia 920!! yeah... lumia 920 might be the answer to nokia's downfall!
coz all the poll that wpcentral are doing, lumia 920 wins a landslide! only 3 out of 10 will get 8X and 1 out of 10 will get ativ S!