Parents accused of selling children into slavery to support in-app purchase habit
0. phoneArena 11 Jul 2014, 14:09 posted on
Look, we love games like Marvel Puzzle Quest, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, and Plants vs Zombies 2, which use in-app purchases as part of the experience; but, there are always people in the world who take things to terrifying extremes. The latest in that vein is a story from China, where parents are accused of taking their in-app purchase much too far...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1456; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Hehe..Love the pic. Story didn't specifically say which phone they are using but since it's China, we already know :)
4. Finalflash (Posts: 1539; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
I know, iPhone releases and the same year we have human trafficking picking up for in-app purchases. Good thing Michael took a more diplomatic route to try to assuage the glaringly obvious by posting a play store picture.
7. quakan (Posts: 1156; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The phone is irrelevant which is probably why it wasn't mentioned.
10. marbovo (Posts: 621; Member since: 16 May 2013)
It does not matter if it is an android,ios,blackberry,wp or whatever... it is about parents selling their children, you must be a kid to make this kind of jokes...
15. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
nope, phone usually is a good window on someones lifestyle, which is why now in america, police need a SEARCH WARNT to go through it (legally anyway #Hackers). so the Type of phone someone uses ALSO says alot about the person. sorry eye shieap
26. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 562; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
If you look at an article on business insider about this case, there is a line that says:
"Internet addiction is a problem with fatal consequences. Late last year, another Chinese couple allegedly sold their daughter to human traffickers to purchase an iPhone."
It's a problem that hits every platform, so your point is not really valid.
31. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
dude, u JUST MADE MY POINT FOR ME.
why on Gods green earth would you counter with ANOTHER selling child for iphone article??
30. marbovo (Posts: 621; Member since: 16 May 2013)
What are you talking about? They need a warranty because people have personal things on smartphones, what this has to do with the brand of the smartphones?
32. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
yes, meaning that somones PHONE has become a big part of their LIFE...... so the type/Brand of device one CHOOSES to so store the parts of their LIFE in ........wait for it...... MATTERS!!!!
plz dont defend the stupid (the baby 4 iphone ppl)
17. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
but it is also seems ALOT easier to sell babies illegally in china too, so go figure.
9. Darkerm (Posts: 118; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
this one of the reason why in-app purchased must be Banned. :p
I think dev should offer Free and Full version of their app but no matter what they won't cuz in-app purchase only way they can get money with crappy app -_-
11. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2434; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Goes to show how powerful Apple's lifestyle porn advertisements are.
12. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 841; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
What are you blathering about? This kind of thing could happen in Blackberry World. It really doesn't matter what ecosystem, it just illustrates that there are some garbage people out there who have serious issues. The tech is incidental. I suppose if he had gambled all of their money away in Macau, it would still somehow be Apple's fault in your little hatecology?
19. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
it could happen in BB world........BUT I DOESNT!!! it DOES matter the ecosystem & phone!!!! simple Phone, Simple people, DONT ARGUE!!
STEVE JOBS said it himself
25. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 841; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
So, you are saying that this is Google's fault, since every study shows that iPhone users are the most educated and affluent, and Android users are less educated and poor?
29. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
no fool, mabey the studies show they buy them the most, but actually USE them for IMPORTANT ish!?!? yea right
ex. my dad got an iphone 4s, kuz he thought he could talk to it like in the comercial.... yea hes not a gen Y 'er, but he still asks me how to use that piece of crap. i shoulda got him an android phone like my mom.
22. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2434; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"... The tech is incidental. ..."
Apple is a cunning, deceptive company, that doesn't sell technology on its own merits, but rather fake promises of some happy, wonderful, fulfilling life that you will have, but only if you buy their expensive stuff.
If you are saying psychology doesn't work on human beings, then you are sadly mistaken.
Certainly some people are more prone to do wrong things than others, but it is well documented that people go to extremes, often frightening and terrible extremes, for APPLE products.
24. Ninetysix (Posts: 1456; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Except this is China broski. Which mobile platform dominates here?
27. willard12 (Posts: 726; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Probably the one with 80% share worldwide.
20. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
idk, go on silk road and report back to us
21. techloverNYC (Posts: 386; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
In America couples like these will probably just go ask the government for money.
23. turk_az (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 May 2012)
obviously they didn't have money to buy Condoms too