Out of money, Director finishes shooting his movie on an Apple iPhone 5
While other directors have used the Apple iPhone to film movies, and there is an iPhone film festival to screen movies shot with the phone, this is the first time that an iPhone shot film has been nominated for an Academy Award. Meanwhile, word of mouth has really helped the 8mmVintage Camera app take off as downloads of the software have surged in the last five days.
Will the Apple iPhone 5 help Malik Bendjelloul win an Oscar? We will find out on February 24th when the Academy Awards airs.
source: CNNMoney via AppleInsider
1. rusticguy posted on 19 Feb 2013, 22:02 14 3
Are Oscars given based on "Sympathy" ? If yes then this guy might win it.
22. cezarepc posted on 20 Feb 2013, 04:24 1 1
No. Oscars are given based on talent. And it doesn't matter if he used an iPhone or any other Phone. It's the content of his movie that got him the Oscar.
25. g2a5b0e posted on 20 Feb 2013, 10:49 2 0
The Oscars are based on talent? Seriously? Don't even get me started on how wrong that statement is. It's all about politics & popularity like most award shows. Talent doesn't have much to do with it, plain & simple.
3. Cyan3boN posted on 19 Feb 2013, 22:18 8 4
Or he could've just bought a lumia 920 instead of renting the camera.
8. lyndon420 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:11 0 0
You still an htc user? That new 'One' that was just released has a pretty sweet camera and stereo speakers.
15. sniper1087 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:57 0 0
well the new camera hasnt been compared yet to say is pretty sweet, even at ultrapixel like they like to name it is a 4mp camera in reality with better sensor
12. thelegend6657 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:44 2 0
N8 no because n8 doesn't have Full HD video .
But Xperia Z might work , HDR video !
14. sniper1087 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:55 0 0
yawn HDR has been out since HTC My touch 4G Slide, is nothing new
16. thelegend6657 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:58 3 0
That's HDR for photos .
BTW , 8mm vintage cam is not available on android or wp
23. syedzain posted on 20 Feb 2013, 05:06 0 0
lol good one
28. tuminatr posted on 21 Feb 2013, 00:16 0 0
I would have used a nice digital SLR much better quality
5. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 19 Feb 2013, 22:29 3 0
Apple must've paid the Academy tons of money to promote their phone come Oscar awards
6. lyndon420 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 22:57 3 3
Maybe this will help the poor iphone sales. (God bless our beloved fruit)
7. tusshharish posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:06 8 0
if this guy doesnt win oscer its totally fault of iphone 5..........lol....
10. -box- posted on 19 Feb 2013, 23:39 0 0
@alan, you apple fanboy, the iphone's camera was utter rubbish until the 4, and even now it's second rate.
You're not as bad as giz's Biddle or Ray S here, but please, keep to the facts.
20. BadAssAbe posted on 20 Feb 2013, 00:48 2 0
Watch out JJ Abrams, we got a new guy with purple lens flare ;)
26. gallitoking posted on 20 Feb 2013, 17:42 1 0
This Director is a smart one.. haters will hate no surprise there.. but in the real world the iphone has a status and is the 1st option for any director..
27. ZeroCide posted on 20 Feb 2013, 17:56 0 0
Ok so part of the move is going to look good and the other part look like icrap!