Our favorite companies have their own take on “May the fourth,” Windows Phone UK earns a facepalm
We are sure that some of these nuanced days either delight, or cause teeth grinding wonder. Needless to day, “may the 4th be with you” is here to stay, for the foreseeable future at least.
Some of our favorite companies, manufacturers and carriers, took to the Twitter-sphere with some pretty neat plays on the day. US Cellular threw out a whole bunch of posts to share the spirit of the Star Wars fan. HP was in on the game too. Nokia, as you might expect, did their part, as did HTC and Google.
Microsoft, on the other hand, was hit-or-miss. Team Windows earned a “nicely played” recognition. Windows Phone UK, did not. Now, it could be chalked up to trolling, but within the replies and retweets, there was one Microsoft employee alerting another to the miscue (to no avail).
Just as entertaining as seeing Windows Phone UK cheer on “trekkies” (as in from Star Trek, hence the classic Jean-Luc Picard facepalm) along with their Star Wars salutation, were some of the responses. We picked a few out of the hundreds to share a good chuckle. Some of the folks were outright distressed (some things apparently are that serious) at the faux pas, but then again, this might have been trolling at an epic social media level. What do you think?
May the 4th be with you
1. Windows Phone UK
5. US Cellular
6. Verizon Wireless
9. Nokia US
13. Apple's App Store
1. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
No surprise here. Windows phone users aren't really that bright.
3. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8117; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That is such a bait /troll comment I swear.
5. Topcat488 (Posts: 1138; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Wow, why did you make that statement? I seen phones from Samsung, HTC and Motorola which are Androids OS devices... Or did the Devil make you do it? O.o
Picture #7 is Moto...
4. alterecho (Posts: 1079; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Well, the Windows Phone OS earned several facepalms, so it's only right it's team earns it too.
6. Calm_down_mon (Posts: 35; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
Didn't see Apple , guess they are just too busy with bullsh*t lawsuits , thank god there werent any small black rectangular devices with screens on them in the movies or Apple would be after Lucas too.
8. chistoefur (Posts: 51; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
about what? i just see a point being proven here
12. ihavenoname (Posts: 1374; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Partly true, Apple and Samsung really are too busy with BS lawsuits.
9. androiphone20 (Posts: 1416; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Anyone not wilfully blind can see #13, right?
13. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Apparently..Calm_down is willfully blind....
14. livyatan (Posts: 691; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Microsoft..keeping out of touch! (pun intended)
What a joke of a company
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3007; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Yeah, how cool does that sound!
Maybe, YOU should try running the company and then, maybe talk sh*t if you want to.
24. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
If thats the criteria for being able to talk sh......no one would ever comment on anything....ever.
28. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3007; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I would...like "They're bad at the moment but i hope they rise soon"...
Something optimistic and positive you know...no one has to be an as*.
The point is...don't talk sh*t!
30. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I'll give you that.
A lot of times in life...its not what you say....but how you say it.....
15. Peeyushmalik96 (Posts: 67; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
lol HTC:"Challenge the galaxy empire"
sorry but not possible with such marketing
18. aditya.k (Posts: 459; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Sorry, but I don't see the fail? Anyone tell me. I'm a fail too! :'(
20. AJagtiani (limited) (Posts: 460; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
Neither did I. Of course some WP haters on this site just need a word against WP to unleash their hatred. There was nothing fail about this tweet IMO. Just a bunch of immature kids retweeting it with hate and trolls.
21. Maxwell.R (Posts: 168; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
The fail is that "trekkies" are Star Trek fans, as in the TV show(s). Star Wars fans are not trekkies. Some of the super-nerds take great offense if the two are mixed up. "Normal" people won't notice. However, gadget geeks tend to know these things.
23. Sniggly (Posts: 6920; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I personally agree with the trolling theory. It's similar to those "eye twitch" posts with Picard saying "Use the force, Gandalf, or Harry will die on Battlestar Galactica" or something like that.
25. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The sad part is this generation might not know what a trekkie is or what Star Wars even is....unless its animated.
26. Sniggly (Posts: 6920; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Oh trust me, this generation and future ones know all about Star Wars. One of my many jobs is working as a cashier, and there was a couple with like three kids who all had Star Wars shirts on and talked excitedly about it when I commented on the shirts.
I told the parents they were raising the kids right, lol.
And remember that there's three whole new movies coming out. Live action ones at that.
22. sks1969 (Posts: 82; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
This is just to show that M$ is not spending the $$ marketing WP. They are paying the team peanuts hence some newbies who don't know a d**k about marketing get hired causing such screwups.
PS I have the Lumia 1020. I am always of the opinion that M$ did not know a d**k about WP (yes WP, even though they made it) before Nokia. Thats me being as sacarstic as possible. If I don't see a 1030 and a 730 announced soon with with all the features I expect in a real Nokia(would have been). I have a strong feeling that this buyout of Nokia was a waste of time and money. In fact it has caused a lot of pain to a lot of good/talented people.
27. Crispin_Gatieza (Posts: 113; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
So they should hire you to "head" the marketing department since you know so much about d**k.
29. clevername (Posts: 1428; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
The cassette telling the cloud he's his father. Lolz. Redemption for MS. And I would kill for an r2-d2 1520