Original U.S. voice of Siri goes public
During July 2005, her voice was recorded for four hours a day in a studio located in Bennett's home. She would repeat nonsensical words and phrases that were played around with by changing the pitch and speed of her voice while certain letters could be pulled from her recordings. And once the Apple iPhone 4s was launched, those who know Bennett instantly knew that she was Siri.
CNN went to Ed Primeau, a member of the American Board of Recorded Evidence and he went through four hours of studying Siri's voice along with Bennett's. At first, using only Bennett's voice, he was 70% certain that she was Siri. But after she provided him with Siri-esque phrases, he came to the conclusion that he was 100% certain that she is the voice of Siri in the states. "I believe, and I've lived this for 30 years, no two voices are the same," said Primeau."They are identical -- a 100% match."
Siri's voices in other countries like the U.K. and Australia have already come forward. Now, those in the U.S. finally have a name to go along with the voice that many have come to rely on for information. Why come out now? iOS 7 offers users new vocal choices for Siri (including a male option) which made this a perfect time for Bennett to step out from behind the iconic voice. Yet, the voiceover artist didn't seek out the press. A CNN reporter doing a story on Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, the world's busiest airport, and was interviewing the voices heard in the terminals. Talking to Bennett, she discovered that the voice of Delta was involved in interactive voice response. The reporter blurted out, "Are you Siri?" which led to an audible gasp on the other end of the line. The secret was out.
8. THE.DARK.KNIGHT (banned) (Posts: 269; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
+1 I love the way she says glass (try saying "ok glass")
13. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4537; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
That is EXACTLY what I expected Siri to look like as real person. A menopausal woman who has enjoyed life & is now retired, who lives in Boca Raton FL.
21. Topcat488 (Posts: 1182; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
So next time Siri ask me if she's pretty?
I'll say tell me another 64 year old joke Siri...
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 14130; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple, if you haven't already. Be prepared to write a very big check! I'm the male Siri voice, and I'd like my $20,000,000 in pennies please.
4. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Was that you? Damn! I thought your voice sounded so un-sexy, lol.
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Yeah, about that 20milies... What about the 30 you owe me selling those cracks i gave you :P
11. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
20 million 1 cent checks so you have to sign every one of them! ;-)
3. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Damn! I thought Raj Kuthrapali had successfully found SIRI...
Was expecting someone younger (lawl).
5. sprockkets (Posts: 1465; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Uh, really? Sounds like the same exact robot voice for those youtube videos.
10. frydaexiii (Posts: 1269; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So voice overs are voiced by real people, I always thought it was computer generated...Apple, go get Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman or Idris Alba to voice Siri now!
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 14130; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude could you imagine SLJ in Pulp Fiction mode. Say text one mo mutha f**kin time! I dare u LMAOOOOO
14. ChafedBanana (Posts: 362; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
James Earl Jones needs to do voice recording for Android.
15. alaahershy (Posts: 34; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
You're voice is much better than a robot reading each word alone.
17. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
She looks like A menopausal and retired lady with a dreadful taste, lol. AS EXPECTED!
23. _PHug_ (Posts: 407; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
I prefer Big Bang's version of Siri she was hot.
24. harvestcellular (Posts: 26; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
She could be the hit of and college frat keg party for sure.
I wonder how many times a day she get's asked to say a few lines lol.
Im sure shes living large on royalities from Apple for the rest of her life.